PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Glove Patents

tellyskid
05-08-2016, 11:09 AM
New to this site and not sure if I am in the right spot but giving it a try. I am trying to find out if and where I can find patents for old baseball gloves. I am specifically looking for a patent for the Ken-Wel #544 George Selkirk model fielders glove that came out around 1938. If I am doing this wrong please let me know and any information would be much appreciated. Thank you.

steve B
05-09-2016, 01:26 PM
It will probably be hard to find them for specific gloves, but Google patents will probably get you most glove patents with a fairly easy search.

If you know the patent number, it's easier and the patent office website will also work. Searching it for anything pre 1972 or so is downright painful unless you are really up on the offices categorization. I'm not, and finding anything was hit and miss.

Google basically stepped in and made the whole thing searchable, although their OCR breaks down sometimes, especially with more complex fonts.

Steve B

tellyskid
05-09-2016, 08:32 PM
Thank you for the response and I will give it a try.

murphusa
05-10-2016, 04:27 AM
Go to www.baseballglovecollector.com

They have lots of patents listed

mikesglove
05-26-2016, 11:44 AM
This may be the glove you are asking about. There are some interesting patents for that model. I'll see if I can dig them up.

mikesglove
11-19-2016, 01:40 PM
Here are the patents starting in 1922 till 1927. You can see the progression of eliminating the finger crotch seam. Funny thing about your Selkirk glove of 1938. KenWel still used some elements of their patents but resorted to the Reach diverted seam between the fingers on their midline models such as the Selkirk glove. KenWel used their trademark patents on only their top models such as the 1938 Dazzy Vance model 560