PDA

View Full Version : OT - James Splaine realitives...

xplainer
05-07-2016, 07:00 PM
I do alot of yard sales, and at one, I bought a cigar box loaded with goodies. When i got home, I found a couple of buffalo nickles, old stamps and such. But what stood out was a dog tag from a vet. Korean War vet.

His name was James Splain. He was from the Boston-New York area. He is buried on Long Island. He died in the late 60's.

I want to find family members and send them these dog tags.

I've left out some facts that only the famly would know. Just want to get them home, with family, where they belong.

I've searched and searched, with no answer. Maybe someone here has an answer. Or at least, a lead.

Thought I'd try here.

-Jimmy

irv
05-07-2016, 07:23 PM
I do alot of yard sales, and at one, I bought a cigar box loaded with goodies. When i got home, I found a couple of buffalo nickles, old stamps and such. But what stood out was a dog tag from a vet. Korean War vet.

His name was James Splain. He was from the Boston-New York area. He is buried on Long Island. He died in the late 60's.

I want to find family members and send them these dog tags.

I've left out some facts that only the famly would know. Just want to get them home, with family, where they belong.

I've searched and searched, with no answer. Maybe someone here has an answer. Or at least, a lead.

Thought I'd try here.

-Jimmy

Good on you, Jimmy!

Good Luck. :)

arc2q
05-07-2016, 07:51 PM
Jimmy,

Because Mr. Splain served prior to 1954, his military records are in the public domain and anyone can request them. Contact the National Archives, National Personnel Record Center to request copies of his Official Military Personnel File. This will give you information on his exact DOB, home of record, etc. From there contacting his family will be much easier.

https://www.archives.gov/st-louis/archival-programs/military-personnel-archival/index.html

sago
05-07-2016, 07:58 PM
PM sent

xplainer
05-08-2016, 09:10 AM
His full name was
JAMES JOSEPH SPLAINE.
USCG

I have them in hand now.

tennisguy
05-08-2016, 09:31 AM
Keep us updated on how things go.

Den*nis O*Brien
05-08-2016, 10:39 AM
A large number of military personnel files were destroyed in a warehouse fire a few years ago. This happened in the St. Louis area while the hard copies were waiting to be turned into computer records. We bumped into this problem while applying for WWII veterans benefits for my mother-in-law. The VA office said the loss was enormous and the info was irretrievable. So you could bump into that hurdle...but maybe not. But this is such a worthy pursuit, I hope you will persevere! His family should be powerfully moved by your kindness and efforts.

xplainer
05-08-2016, 11:12 AM
Here is what information I have so far:

DOB: June 29 1902.
DOD: March 14 1969

Buried at Long Island National Cemetary
Section 2D, Site 6193

Thanks to helping me find the family.

Bliggity
05-08-2016, 11:35 AM
PM sent with an idea/suggestion.

xplainer
05-08-2016, 11:48 AM
Got Dan. Thanks.

I've found out he lived in Perth Amboy, NJ.

xplainer
05-21-2016, 12:23 PM
This has kinda stalled out. I've received info through PM's that he had no children, so....

Huck
05-21-2016, 02:13 PM
I am always game for a good search. I was on the familysearch.org site and was interested in knowing the name of his parents (I have it narrowed down to two). I found his death index. The birth record is a tad tricky because most of the birth years are estimates.