PDA

View Full Version : T206 Minor League subset...toughest cards?

darkhorse9
05-06-2016, 12:45 PM
So, I'm thinking of dabbling into T206, but to keep my sanity I might go sub-set first.

I'm thinking about doing the 134 Minor League Players. I know the Southern Leaguers are a challenge, but what other minor league players will prove to be the most expensive? Is this a reasonable quest to undertake

I'm perfectly fine with cards that are in P-G condition so I'm not looking for a PSA gallery and price listing. Just honest input as to which are the key minor league cards and what they might cost. I figure the four HOFer (Beckley, Collins, Kelley and McGinnity) will be on that list.

bbcard1
05-06-2016, 12:57 PM
It's not that bad and a good place to start. I don't think there are as many remarkable posed in the minor league set, but there is a reasonable place to start.

Laxcat
05-06-2016, 01:03 PM
I've sold every Hayden that I have had immediately. Not sure if he is tougher but everyone seems to need him.

brianp-beme
05-06-2016, 01:11 PM
Some popular minor leaguers that might cost more due to their popularity:

Gavvy Cravath
Luther Taylor

And some that seem to be perceived tougher (Partial list...I am sure there are a variety of other cards also thought to be tougher):

Adkins
Arndt
Dessau
Lundgren - KC
O'Neil
Thielman

Brian

trdcrdkid
05-06-2016, 01:14 PM
You're right that the four HOFers are going to be the most expensive of the non-Southern minor leaguers. The closest thing to a scarce card is Lundgren (Kansas City), which will cost you more than a common, but not as much as the scarcer variation, Lundgren (Chicago). Other non-Southern, non-HOF minor leaguers that are likely to cost you more than a common are a few guys that had significant major league careers but are not in the HOF (Gavvy Cravath, Dummy Taylor), Jack Dunn (because he discovered Babe Ruth), and Ambrose Puttman (for reasons I've never been clear on; maybe the fact that he played for Louisville makes people think he's a Southern Leaguer). But none of these will be too expensive, maybe twice the cost of a common at most, assuming you shop around.

mattsey9
05-09-2016, 12:14 AM
I've sold every Hayden that I have had immediately. Not sure if he is tougher but everyone seems to need him.

Lots of Cubs fans out there, and Jack featured for them down the stretch in 1908.

Joshchisox08
05-09-2016, 04:38 AM
So, I'm thinking of dabbling into T206, but to keep my sanity I might go sub-set first.

I'm thinking about doing the 134 Minor League Players. I know the Southern Leaguers are a challenge, but what other minor league players will prove to be the most expensive? Is this a reasonable quest to undertake

I'm perfectly fine with cards that are in P-G condition so I'm not looking for a PSA gallery and price listing. Just honest input as to which are the key minor league cards and what they might cost. I figure the four HOFer (Beckley, Collins, Kelley and McGinnity) will be on that list.

The HOF players for the minors are some of the cheapest in the set as far as HOF cards go.

Taking some of the cards that were mentioned above with my experience. (Usually don't spend more than $30 on a common).

Adkins is definitely a tough one I don't even own that card yet.
Ambrose Puttman is one that you may have to dig in your pocket a little more so than other minor leaguers.
Dessau has been said to be a little tough. Maybe I got lucky and was in the right place at the right time but I got a PSA 2 for about $30
Lundgren KC is sort of tough because his Cubs card is even tougher. Still don't own his card but one just ended in poor condition in the auction section for $18 the other day.
Theilman you just don't really see that often. Not sure why but the one time I saw one I pounced on it in the B/S/T section.

Also a note that you're including the SL players with the typical Minor League players as the typical minor league players there are only 86. SL players are a whole new ballgame and all of them will be far more expensive than the regular minor league players.