PDA

View Full Version : Can the experts tell what's going on with this Mantle?

irv
05-05-2016, 08:42 PM
Curious if anyone can pinpoint what PSA is saying?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-Mickey-Mantle-Rookie-Card-311-PSA-Authentic-Gorgeous-WOW-/191857105067?hash=item2cab9318ab:g:S0oAAOSw1DtXIIv O

Bestdj777
05-05-2016, 09:37 PM
According to the seller, PSA said there was an issue with the the top border. My guess is that the card was trimmed. It can be difficult to discern--I have a trimmed 52 Topps Mantle and couldn't really guess why it was just authentic based on the pictures. It is a shame with a card of this caliber as I cannot imagine that trimming improved the eye appeal all that much, assuming that was what was done.

irv
05-06-2016, 07:58 AM
According to the seller, PSA said there was an issue with the the top border. My guess is that the card was trimmed. It can be difficult to discern--I have a trimmed 52 Topps Mantle and couldn't really guess why it was just authentic based on the pictures. It is a shame with a card of this caliber as I cannot imagine that trimming improved the eye appeal all that much, assuming that was what was done.

I agree. Like the owner, I would also want more info, but I assume PSA is not obligated to provide that?

IMO, as I also find it very hard to figure out exactly what they are talking about, and the fact the card is in such great condition, I would send it back in for another look, or to SGC to see if they also note the same thing?

pawpawdiv9
05-06-2016, 01:13 PM
I am assuming there was a wrinkle or crease and it got 'smoothed' or 'rolled' out causing it be altered. PWCC had one back in 2015 http://www.pwccauctions.com/item.php?item_no=1156883

Filthy
05-06-2016, 01:38 PM
Can someone please explain the "rolled or pressed" process? Is this something that is done regularly in this hobby?

irv
05-06-2016, 03:07 PM
I am assuming there was a wrinkle or crease and it got 'smoothed' or 'rolled' out causing it be altered. PWCC had one back in 2015 http://www.pwccauctions.com/item.php?item_no=1156883

I can see, what looks like it might have been rolled in the upper right corner?

The very corner or tip seems to go past/higher than the rest of the border.

I have never heard of rolling or pressing either so I assume to is something other than just soaking and drying.

I assume, assuming the owner is the one who did that, would be peed that his great looking card only received what it did?
Obviously no idea what the card looked like prior, but I can't help but think, if he had of left it alone, it would have fetched more?

111gecko
05-06-2016, 04:47 PM
Bottom right might have been rebuilt. It goes all the way through to the back as well...you can see it on both sides.

begsu1013
05-06-2016, 05:15 PM
bleached or powder washed is my guess.

if ya look at the borders on each side of mick's face,

looks like the heavier stains did not fully release.

that corner mighta been rebuilt as previously mentioned,

but all of the corners are the exact same color as the rest of the card

which leads me to believe it was bleached/washed as well.

it does leave a distinct smell so

wouldn't be able to tell now as it's encased.

a simple black light would be able to distinguish if it was rebuilt or not:

http://caimages.collectors.com/psaimages/26029/10245262/blacklight2.jpg

Peter_Spaeth
05-06-2016, 07:04 PM
So far we have trimming, a pressed out crease, a rebuilt corner, and bleaching. Any others?

irv
05-06-2016, 07:40 PM
Well, the one I posted, altered or not, got $15,000! :eek:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-Mickey-Mantle-Rookie-Card-311-PSA-Authentic-Gorgeous-WOW-/191857105067?rmvSB=true&hash=item2cab9318ab%3Ag%3AS0oAAOSw1DtXIIvO&nma=true&si=9VNQDQJFdWw3bmxly2rKAGyVSFA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Bestdj777
05-06-2016, 07:59 PM
Well, the one I posted, altered or not, got $15,000! :eek:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-Mickey-Mantle-Rookie-Card-311-PSA-Authentic-Gorgeous-WOW-/191857105067?rmvSB=true&hash=item2cab9318ab%3Ag%3AS0oAAOSw1DtXIIvO&nma=true&si=9VNQDQJFdWw3bmxly2rKAGyVSFA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It is definitely altered. No one would leave it in a holder with that grade if they weren't positive it was altered. That said, it's a gorgeous card and it is not surprising at all that it brought a strong price. Authentic cards aren't for everyone, but, in my opinion, a card with the eye appeal of an PSA 8 for the price of a PSA 2 is a great deal. That's just me though and opinions do vary.

KCRfan1
05-07-2016, 05:47 AM
I'm on board with the same thought Chris. That Mantle is a nice looking card that went cheap.

irv
05-07-2016, 06:09 AM
It is definitely altered. No one would leave it in a holder with that grade if they weren't positive it was altered. That said, it's a gorgeous card and it is not surprising at all that it brought a strong price. Authentic cards aren't for everyone, but, in my opinion, a card with the eye appeal of an PSA 8 for the price of a PSA 2 is a great deal. That's just me though and opinions do vary.

You would think not, but the seller sure sounds like he can't really figure it out why it received the grade it did.
But, like he said, here it is and put it up for sale.

Personally, if it were my card, I would have tried again or tried SGC just to verify it before putting it up for sale, but without having the card in hand, that is easy for me to say.

I'm on board with the same thought Chris. That Mantle is a nice looking card that went cheap.

I agree, and maybe the buyer will do exactly as I said above and get a second opinion on it? If it comes back legit, he will be laughing all the way to the bank!:)

Bestdj777
05-07-2016, 07:23 AM
Irv, I'm sure the seller already tried SGC. No one is going to buy this and then have much luck getting it into a number grade holder. I can't say what the seller's motive was in saying they couldn't detect what was altered. Maybe they couldn't determine what was wrong. I know that I've encountered sellers of Authentic cards that genuinely couldn't detect what had been done (as others said, it can be hard once it is in the older).

begsu1013
05-07-2016, 10:08 AM

pclpads
05-07-2016, 11:29 AM
So far we have trimming, a pressed out crease, a rebuilt corner, and bleaching. Any others?

Opinions are like a-holes and elbows . . . we all have 'em. :rolleyes: