PDA

View Full Version : 1976 Topps in 1974 Wrapper

Zach Wheat
05-02-2016, 01:38 PM
I just picked this up. It is a 1976 Topps pack wrapped in a 1974 Wrapper. Was wondering if there are a lot of miswrapped packs with 2+ years separation. I assume Topps just found some old stock and decided to use it....just seems odd with the 2 years separation.

Z

Kurri17
05-02-2016, 02:12 PM
I just picked this up. It is a 1976 Topps pack wrapped in a 1974 Wrapper. Was wondering if there are a lot of miswrapped packs with 2+ years separation. I assume Topps just found some old stock and decided to use it....just seems odd with the 2 years separation.

Z

Very nice. Been seeing those as I am looking to pick up a PSA 1974 Topps pack. No expert here, but the only other year I have seen is 1980 football in 1979 wrappers I believe. You're probably right, just using up stock.

ALR-bishop
05-02-2016, 02:44 PM
Are we sure that is a 74 wrapper and not a 73. We have had threads in here debating when Topps went to distributing all series at one time. There is not doubt iit happened nationwide in 1974 but it seems clear all cards were also released at one time in certain markets in 1973, and in packs that indicated as such

ALR-bishop
05-02-2016, 02:52 PM
Just checked my set packs...never mind :o

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/topps120_zpsu2jwrs5b.jpg?t=1462135905

GasHouseGang
05-02-2016, 04:47 PM
Why would Topps do that? That seems really strange and extremely unlikely. It's not like no one has ever resealed a wax pack. I guess I have a basic distrust of "sealed" packs in general after getting burned on some 1975 mini "sealed" packs, and I'd have a really hard time accepting these packs were real unless I pulled them from a sealed 1996 Topps wax box myself. I'm assuming they are considered real if PSA is grading them. Have these been accepted by the sealed pack collectors as real for a while, or did these just start showing up recently?

sbfinley
05-02-2016, 07:27 PM
Why would Topps do that? That seems really strange and extremely unlikely. It's not like no one has ever resealed a wax pack. I guess I have a basic distrust of "sealed" packs in general after getting burned on some 1975 mini "sealed" packs, and I'd have a really hard time accepting these packs were real unless I pulled them from a sealed 1996 Topps wax box myself. I'm assuming they are considered real if PSA is grading them. Have these been accepted by the sealed pack collectors as real for a while, or did these just start showing up recently?

These are well documented as original. This is actually the case of Topps recycling a design rather than old stock. If the op would flip the pack over and scan the back you will actual see an offer on the reverse the expires at the end of 1976. The 74 packs have a similar offer ending at the end of 1974. Different fonts and sizing are also used.

hcv123
05-02-2016, 07:31 PM

I'd have a really hard time accepting them as real unless I pulled them out of a 1994 Topps wax box myself :D

ALR-bishop
05-02-2016, 08:02 PM
Howard-- I have an unopened 1994 Topps wax box full of 1974 packs I can sell you for the right price :)

I have no idea if the pack is legit but it would not surprise me one bit if Topps utilized unused wrappers is subsequent years

The-Cardfather
05-02-2016, 09:12 PM
This is probably going to be a very stupid question, but I'll ask anyway.

If it is a unopened/sealed pack in a 1974 wrapper, how do you know that there are 1976 cards inside of it? :confused:

sbfinley
05-02-2016, 09:49 PM

If it is a unopened/sealed pack in a 1974 wrapper, how do you know that there are 1976 cards inside of it? :confused:

As I stated above, the expiration date for the contest on the reverse of the wrapper.

begsu1013
05-02-2016, 09:54 PM
yes, football packs are even worse.

not 100% but topps used the 81 wrapper for close to 3 years, I think.

then ya had the football/baseball cards in the same cello pack.

think that mighta been 1980?

pokerplyr80
05-02-2016, 10:48 PM

Im assuming a card can be seen through the front, back, or both. Seems like the only logical explanation.

sbfinley
05-02-2016, 11:18 PM
Im assuming a card can be seen through the front, back, or both. Seems like the only logical explanation.

Side actually. You can also measure the thickness when compared to 1974 Quarters and 1976 Bicentennial Quarters. Both are equal thickness to four of their corresponding years quarters, yet as we all know the dies of the Bicentennial Quarters used leftover dies from 1974. This caused, of course, the 76 quarters to be a bit thinner from the worn dies. Example:

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff339/sbfinley/newpacks.jpg

GasHouseGang
05-02-2016, 11:29 PM
I'd have a really hard time accepting them as real unless I pulled them out of a 1994 Topps wax box myself :D

Haha, sorry about the typo. I meant 1976, of course. Well, if the back shows a 1976 expiration date for some offer, then it must be a recycled design as suggested. It is weird though!

Rickyy
05-03-2016, 01:02 AM
That's cool...if I was a kid back then though...I'd probably freak out... haha.

Ricky Y

Zach Wheat
05-03-2016, 07:12 AM
These are well documented as original. This is actually the case of Topps recycling a design rather than old stock. If the op would flip the pack over and scan the back you will actual see an offer on the reverse the expires at the end of 1976. The 74 packs have a similar offer ending at the end of 1974. Different fonts and sizing are also used.

Steve,

Here is the reverse. Note the expiration date is 1974.

Z

sbfinley
05-03-2016, 08:40 AM
If the back pictured in the last post is the same pack as the one pictured in the original post, then one of these three things happened.

A. PSA screwed up.
B. That pack is resealed.
C. That's the first 76 pack with a 74 offer date I have ever seen.

GasHouseGang
05-03-2016, 10:05 AM
If the back pictured in the last post is the same pack as the one pictured in the original post, then one of these three things happened.

A. PSA screwed up.
B. That pack is resealed.
C. That's the first 76 pack with a 74 offer date I have ever seen.

Are you certain there are 76's inside? I can't make out the back card, Gaylord Perry?

Ok, now I'm back to where I started. If this pack doesn't have the offer that expires in 1976, I would still have my doubts about this pack. Does a pack like this show up in Mark Murphy's unopened pack guide? Sorry, I don't have a copy.

steve B
05-03-2016, 10:36 AM
Topps reused loads of stuff all through the 70's.

Especially just a couple years later.
79 baseball with 78 backs
79? Baseball with Mork and Mindy sticker fronts on the back
Bazooka boxes with 78 baseball backs inside
same with black hole card backs

It seemed like anything leftover was turned into something else, or used to adjust the equipment. (I have all of the 4 above, Don't know the source for the mork and Mindy, the 79/78 combos were supposedly a dump find, and I bought the Bazooka boxes at retail in a grocery store. )

In general they overproduced so there were always leftovers.

Plus they made up reduced "fun" packs for Halloween either using leftovers or returns. 74 was a big year for that. I can easily see them using up a few rolls of still leftover wrappers.

Steve B

steve B
05-03-2016, 10:38 AM
Side actually. You can also measure the thickness when compared to 1974 Quarters and 1976 Bicentennial Quarters. Both are equal thickness to four of their corresponding years quarters, yet as we all know the dies of the Bicentennial Quarters used leftover dies from 1974. This caused, of course, the 76 quarters to be a bit thinner from the worn dies. Example:

Do you have a link for that info about the quarters? I've looked and can't find anything. It doesn't make much sense, but the 70's was full of weird pretty much everywhere.

Steve B

sbfinley
05-03-2016, 10:48 AM
Do you have a link for that info about the quarters? I've looked and can't find anything. It doesn't make much sense, but the 70's was full of weird pretty much everywhere.

Steve B

That, my friend, was 1 am sarcasm.

sbfinley
05-03-2016, 11:09 AM
Just got confirmation from Steve Hart that it is possible to have the 1974 date offer on a 1976 pack. I stand corrected, as I do, at home, with my wife, all the time.

GasHouseGang
05-03-2016, 11:16 AM
Just got confirmation from Steve Hart that it is possible to have the 1974 date offer on a 1976 pack. I stand corrected, as I do, at home, with my wife, all the time.

We must be married to sisters! I guess I'll have to accept that this pack can and did happen.

ALR-bishop
05-03-2016, 11:50 AM
I think it is Zach who should be apologizing for trying to confuse everyone with this thread :)

Zach Wheat
05-03-2016, 01:58 PM
I think it is Zach who should be apologizing for trying to confuse everyone with this thread :)

Thanks Big Al :)

Zach Wheat
05-03-2016, 02:00 PM

Steve B

Steve,

Wouldn't your images imply that there are actually 1974 cards in this pack based upon your info?

Also there is a barely visible image in the 2nd post above - just can't identify who is on the card. It appears to be a Cleveland player due to the dark blue visor.

Z

steve B
05-04-2016, 09:14 AM
That, my friend, was 1 am sarcasm.

Ah, makes sense now. I'll fall back on the excuse that it was way more coherent than most of what I might come up with at 1 am.

I'm used to hearing similar stuff at flea markets. And it's not at all restricted to any one hobby. Every once in a while whatever the story is it turns out to be true.

Steve B

steve B
05-04-2016, 09:21 AM
Steve,

Wouldn't your images imply that there are actually 1974 cards in this pack based upon your info?

Also there is a barely visible image in the 2nd post above - just can't identify who is on the card. It appears to be a Cleveland player due to the dark blue visor.

Z

The packs in the other Steves images from the post I quoted are a 74 pack top, and a 76 pack under it.

On a lot of packs it's possible to get a bit of an idea who's on the bottom, and if the image and the wrapper are just right, on the top too. The 74 in the quoted post shows one of the Hank Aaron specials, the 76 pack shows nearly nothing.

Pack and wrapper varieties are things that haven't really hit the mainstream in detail, although there's a lot of info out there.

Steve B

Steve B

jmoran19
05-05-2016, 07:52 PM
Here is a recap of 74-76 (partial) from a old baseball card news article. 76 cards in 74 wrappers has been known for a long time

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q66/jmoran19/IMG_0092_zpsh3bgvg6r.jpg

pokerplyr80
05-05-2016, 08:06 PM

I never would have guessed that. Thanks for the information.