PDA

View Full Version : Why..

murphusa
05-02-2016, 12:10 PM
Why do we the Sports Memorabilia and Autograph Collector's never hold the issuers of LOA's for errors they make? Is it their opinion when they are charging a fee for their services?
While for the most part there is no guarantee for what they are saying.

My brother and I disagreed over the weekend on a postcard that a service said was ... and I disagreed

Duluth Eskimo
05-02-2016, 12:21 PM
But, it is an opinion. There are plenty who flock like sheep to them and consider it a guarantee, but most advanced collectors do their own homework and maybe reinforce their research with a 2nd opinion IE: LOA. I have many items in my personal collection and I can't think of one that I had PSA or JSA do a letter on. Although, I do sell (or have for sale) many autographs where I have a COA or LOA done for them. Fact of the matter is when selling it brings significantly more money.

I have said this in the past, but I do offer a lifetime guarantee with every item I sell as to its authenticity despite what LOA it comes with. I am guaranteeing the item, not the 3rd party opinion. This is just my opinion, but if I make a mistake I generally blame myself not the authenticator.

botn
05-02-2016, 03:18 PM
Why do we the Sports Memorabilia and Autograph Collector's never hold the issuers of LOA's for errors they make? Is it their opinion when they are charging a fee for their services?
While for the most part there is no guarantee for what they are saying.

My brother and I disagreed over the weekend on a postcard that a service said was ... and I disagreed

Jim should anyone really respond to you on a borderline controversial issue? The last time they did you deleted all of your posts.

Lordstan
05-02-2016, 08:02 PM
My opinion is this..
1) People want to collect autographs.
2) people don't want to put in the time needed to learn about autographs.
3) People want a service do make them feel comfortable buying autos without doing the work.
4) The TPAs have done an absolutely brilliant job marketing themselves as authorities.

People don't challenge them as they don't make any guarantees. THey only offer opinions.

Duluth Eskimo
05-02-2016, 08:48 PM
My opinion is this..
3) People want a service do make them feel comfortable buying autos without doing the work.
4) The TPAs have done an absolutely brilliant job marketing themselves as authorities.

People don't challenge them as they don't make any guarantees. THey only offer opinions.

Pretty much sums it up. My favorite is when these "people" argue with us based solely on the LOA with no additional knowledge to back it up.

Lordstan
05-02-2016, 08:54 PM
My opinion is this..

I forgot to add in other memorabilia as autos are not alone in this deal. Bats and equipment falls in the same boat.

RichardSimon
05-02-2016, 09:19 PM
My opinion is this..

That number 4 is so so true.

ooo-ribay
05-04-2016, 07:03 PM
PM me if you need a template for a good lookin' LOA :p

Bpm0014
05-05-2016, 02:29 PM
Please see my rant also on this very same subject...