PDA

View Full Version : OT: Baseball Humor

Buythatcard
05-02-2016, 08:41 AM
How about some baseball humor to put a smile on our faces. Share some of your favorite baseball stories or jokes.

Just saw this one today for the first time.

Their entire adult lives, Kevin and John discussed baseball history in the winter, and they pored over every box score during the season. They went to 60 games a year. They even agreed that whoever died first would try to come back and tell the other if there was baseball in heaven. One summer night, Kevin passed away in his sleep after watching the Yankees victory earlier in the evening. He died happy. A few nights later, his buddy John awoke to the sound of Kevin's voice from beyond. "Kevin is that you?" John asked. "Of course its me," Kevin replied. "This is unbelievable!" John exclaimed. "So tell me, is there baseball in heaven?" "Well I have some good news and some bad news for you. Which do you want to hear first?" "Tell me the good news first." "Well, the good news is that yes there is baseball in heaven, John." "Oh, that is wonderful! So what could possibly be the bad news?" "You're pitching tomorrow night."

deadballfreaK
05-02-2016, 12:00 PM
As a Cardinal fan I have listened to many of Mike Shannon's goof-ups. Here is my favorite:

Mike and Jack Buck had a guest in the booth. She was a beauty queen who was representing the cheesecake industry. "Miss Cheesecake". They chatted with her for half an inning and she presented them with a cheesecake. After she left Jack asks Mike, "What did you think of Miss Cheesecake?"

Mike misunderstood the question. He heard "this cheesecake" thinking they were talking about the delicious treat in front of them. Shannon replied, "Man , I'd like a piece of that!"

kmac32
05-02-2016, 12:14 PM
The Late Great Harry Caray was talking about two young lovers in the crowd and made the comment that he kisses her on the strikes and she kisses him on the balls. Oh the days of unedited broadcasts.

mattsey9
05-02-2016, 12:52 PM
What do you do to an elephant with three balls?

Walk him, and pitch to the rhinoceros.

Snapolit1
05-02-2016, 01:23 PM
Did you know that the first reference to baseball can be found in the Book of Genesis. Hard to believe but true. Opens with the line "In the big inning . . . ."

Huck
05-02-2016, 01:59 PM
It does not get much better than this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5t_9PKffmM

sycks22
05-02-2016, 02:00 PM
At a buddy's wedding a couple years back the Pastor knew the groom was a big baseball guy so he'd use some baseball language. He kept talking about rounding the bases and finally talked about rounding third and heading for home after the ceremony. There were some childish giggles including myself. He was oblivious.

BeanTown
05-02-2016, 03:13 PM
As a Kid I used to always look forward in watching "This Week In Baseball" on Saturdays. I think it first aired in 1977.

Here is a clip of some of the great players from the that timeframe.

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2013/03/29/this-week-in-baseball-from-1977-is-glorious/

philliesfan
05-02-2016, 05:49 PM
Oh man I really loved TWIB. I looked forward to it every Saturday. I even taped many episodes when the VHS first came out.
Robert

Buythatcard
05-02-2016, 06:12 PM
I loved reading these posts. My favorite always has been Billy & the Cows told by Mickey. I could sit and listen to Mickey tell stories all day.

Dewey
05-02-2016, 06:51 PM
That is a gem. Gotta remember that one. Gonna write it in my TWIB Notes.

The Late Great Harry Caray was talking about two young lovers in the crowd and made the comment that he kisses her on the strikes and she kisses him on the balls. Oh the days of unedited broadcasts.

AddieJoss
05-02-2016, 07:13 PM
It takes about 4 seconds to run from home to first, and about 4 seconds to run from first to second base. It also takes about 4 seconds to run from third to home. Why does it take longer to run from second to third?

There is a short stop in between.

Hot Springs Bathers
05-02-2016, 07:50 PM
I bought the DVD on that first season of This Week in Baseball, it is fantastic!

While not a joke really, my favorite quote remains the one from Red Sox pitcher Frank Sullivan. When asked how he pitched to Mickey Mantle he replied "With tears in my eyes."