PDA

View Full Version : REA 1958 Topps Mantle #150 PSA 8

MetsBaseball1973
05-01-2016, 01:28 AM
Wowee! Gamechanger.

$9000 (http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=40048)

Paul S
05-01-2016, 10:01 AM
I'm not very good at grading my own cards - they only get graded after I send to an AH, and then I am always surprised one way or another - but what is up with those "ripples" in the lower left section on the front? That wouldn't prevent it from getting an '8' grade?

Stonepony
05-01-2016, 10:17 AM
I'm not very good at grading my own cards - they only get graded after I send to an AH, and then I am always surprised one way or another - but what is up with those "ripples" in the lower left section on the front? That wouldn't prevent it from getting an '8' grade?

Holy crap! Yikes, nice eye, Paul!

Thecafewha
05-01-2016, 11:12 AM
I'm thinking that's a scratch on the holder that's showing up weird on the scan. Can't imagine that would grade an 8 if it's on the card.

Joshua Van Pelt

begsu1013
05-01-2016, 11:16 AM

begsu1013
05-01-2016, 11:24 AM

pokerplyr80
05-01-2016, 11:48 AM
I'm thinking that's a scratch on the holder that's showing up weird on the scan. Can't imagine that would grade an 8 if it's on the card.

Joshua Van Pelt

My guess is a scratch on the case as well. It's clearly visible and I would hope REA would have mentioned it if it was on the card. The description says the surface is very clean.

But yea either way that's a crazy price for the card. Double what they were selling for a couple of days ago.

begsu1013
05-01-2016, 11:54 AM

MetsBaseball1973
05-01-2016, 11:59 AM
My guess is a scratch on the case as well. It's clearly visible and I would hope REA would have mentioned it if it was on the card. The description says the surface is very clean.

But yea either way that's a crazy price for the card. Double what they were selling for a couple of days ago.

I am also going with a scratch that looks like that in the scan. Two reasons: I see other scratches on the case elsewhere and I also have seen REA be very open describing flaws that would make a card overgraded. REA goes so far as to call a graded card trimmed when they think it slipped past the goalie. All these factors considered, my money's on an unsightly scratch/scan combo.

Ginormous price for an 8. I will say centered 8s are the new 9s.

begsu1013
05-01-2016, 12:02 PM

glynparson
05-01-2016, 12:33 PM
From what I have been told by many REA would not have taken the consignment if it was an obvious misgrade which it would be with that size surface wrinkle.

pokerplyr80
05-01-2016, 12:44 PM
I am also going with a scratch that looks like that in the scan. Two reasons: I see other scratches on the case elsewhere and I also have seen REA be very open describing flaws that would make a card overgraded. REA goes so far as to call a graded card trimmed when they think it slipped past the goalie. All these factors considered, my money's on an unsightly scratch/scan combo.

Thats true I read the description for the Goudey green ruth graded by some obscure TPG. REA mentioned they tried to cross it to SGC and they said it was trimmed. No other AH that I'm aware of would disclose this. Someone would have had to completely drop the ball to allow a PSA 8 Mantle with a surface wrinkle into the auction.

CW
05-01-2016, 12:55 PM
I'm also going with scratch on the case.

It will be interesting to see what the ending prices on the next few 8s that hit the auction block, to see how much the game has changed, but I agree that centering is the key here.

irv
05-01-2016, 04:07 PM
i would hope so and good to know.

and i would hope that whoever was actually bidding on the card would call to make sure as well, especially at that monetary level.

X2.

Hopefully someone here can find out as it also looks like a wrinkle to me as well.

Peter_Spaeth
05-01-2016, 04:42 PM
It appears to me it casts a little shadow meaning it is on the case.

begsu1013
05-01-2016, 06:07 PM
I will say centered 8s are the new 9s.

it took a while to resonate, but this is a great quote.

Jdoggs
05-01-2016, 11:56 PM

I would say centered 8's are the new 8.5's.

begsu1013
05-02-2016, 12:22 AM
I would say centered 8's are the new 8.5's and i never did post that link that was requested.

; )

Jdoggs
05-02-2016, 09:22 PM
; )

Thanks for adding words to my original post.

begsu1013
05-02-2016, 09:37 PM
thought ya might like that.

that's exactly what you did to me and stated i posted a 52 mantle price, just not as cleverly.

and then you disappeared when asked to provide a link.

glass houses, dogg. glass houses.

Jdoggs
05-02-2016, 10:39 PM
thought ya might like that.

that's exactly what you did to me and stated i posted a 52 mantle price, just not as cleverly.

and then you disappeared when asked to provide a link.

glass houses, dogg. glass houses.
reporting this to Leon. Want to find out if editing original posts on another member is allowed on this board.

begsu1013
05-02-2016, 11:00 PM
reporting this to Leon. Want to find out if editing original posts on another member is allowed on this board.

well im telling mom! :(

but for the record and again, you still havent provided one inkling of proof stating what you claimed i said. that's the whole point here.

don't speak for me and i wont speak for you.

"eye for eye, tooth for a tooth"

Jdoggs
05-02-2016, 11:03 PM
well im telling mom! :(

but for the record and again, you still havent provided one inkling of proof stating what you claimed i said. that's the whole point here.

don't speak for me and i wont speak for you.

"eye for eye, tooth for a tooth"
Already reported to Leon he will handle this:)

begsu1013
05-02-2016, 11:07 PM
Already reported to Leon he will handle this:)

proud of being a tattle-tale?

bothering leon for something as mundane as this?

of course you would.

"listen leon, this guy is doing the exact same thing i did,
just not to the degree of what i did.
and he did it in a funnier manner and im mad i didn't think of it first.

he's even started replying to my posts like i have done to him for the past year.
this isn't fair at all.

wah."

that's you.

Leon
05-03-2016, 06:27 AM
I was going to email Jason my response but here it is. And yes this is a very mundane situation to me.

"Hi Jason
I looked at that thread. Bob is just playing around. He made a joke, not a big deal. Just go to another thread and if he follows you and hassles you with no interaction from you first then I will ask him to stop. No one should be followed around the board being hassled time and again. But that stuff in that thread just isn't that big of a deal.
Thanks
LL"

begsu1013
05-03-2016, 09:44 AM
thank you, Leon.

my point was made and am done w/ this.

sorry you were inconvenienced.

-Bob