PDA

View Full Version : How were the "T" cards shipped to the factories?

obcbeatle
04-28-2016, 01:16 PM
Hello ... My understanding is that the ALC printed and cut T206 and T205 cards from their factory in NY and then shipped them to tobacco factories in NY, VA, OH, etc. I assume they shipped the cards via rail? And I wonder how the cards were packaged when traveling to their corresponding factories for distribution inside packs of tobacco? Big cardboard boxes? Just curious. Last night as I was looking at one of my T205 cards with a Polar Bear back and I started wondering about where my card had started its long journey (like freshly minted from NY in 1911 .... then on to Ohio to be put in a pack of scrap tobacco ... Then to a smoker/chewer somewhere in the midwest ... ? If these cards could only talk :-)

Leon
04-28-2016, 02:35 PM
Hello ... My understanding is that the ALC printed and cut T206 and T205 cards from their factory in NY and then shipped them to tobacco factories in NY, VA, OH, etc. I assume they shipped the cards via rail? And I wonder how the cards were packaged when traveling to their corresponding factories for distribution inside packs of tobacco? Big cardboard boxes? Just curious. Last night as I was looking at one of my T205 cards with a Polar Bear back and I started wondering about where my card had started its long journey (like freshly minted from NY in 1911 .... then on to Ohio to be put in a pack of scrap tobacco ... Then to a smoker/chewer somewhere in the midwest ... ? If these cards could only talk :-)

They might have been sent in a regular ole box. I don't recall seeing how the cards were shippped to get to the resultant factories. Maybe another board member has?

Pilot172000
04-28-2016, 02:45 PM
Great question. I often wonder how they were placed in packs and did factory workers often sneak a few out for their kids while working there.

GasHouseGang
04-28-2016, 03:09 PM
Can you imagine if an original unopened box showed up of original cigarette cards that were never inserted into packs?! I bet there would be some record prices established at that auction!

Pilot172000
04-28-2016, 03:39 PM
Can you imagine if an original unopened box showed up of original cigarette cards that were never inserted into packs?! I bet there would be some record prices established at that auction!

That would be amazing! It would also solve a lot of the mysteries that collectors have been trying to solve.

edjs
04-28-2016, 03:43 PM

All on their way to the Drum factory.

Pilot172000
04-28-2016, 03:51 PM
All on their way to the Drum factory.

Ironically it would probably flood the market with PSA 8,9 and 10 cards substantially reducing the value of several collections.

Paul S
04-28-2016, 04:55 PM
Ironically it would probably flood the market with PSA 8,9 and 10 cards substantially reducing the value of several collections.

Maybe the TPGs would only grade them as Authentic since they were never distributed as intended:confused:;)