PDA

View Full Version : Long, rambling introduction

Corporal Lance Boil
04-27-2016, 12:21 PM
I came for Joss and stayed for the Ramlys...

Since I joined about a month ago and would like to post from time to time, it seems appropriate for me to actually introduce myself, and try to not ramble too much. But I'm sure I will.

I found this board several years ago searching for Addie Joss autographs. I was really impressed by the knowledge here. I began reading more and more as I debated showing y'all what may or may not be a Joss autograph. That's a story for another time, and no, its' not the one posted several years prior. A little about me:

I initially found my way into pre-war card collecting kind of by accident. I lived for awhile in and around NYC and got very into the Yankees (esp. '98) which kind of led me to delve into the history of baseball, and then I got fascinated. I was kind of cursed to choose Addie Joss as "my" player because as a young child I could not pronounce "Anthony"...so I called myself "Atti". Makes perfect sense, no?

Anyway, this was a time in my life when I was young and somewhat broke and couldn't really collect anything. I did purchase a few T206s and a Ramly and a couple other early cards but back then running a new restaurant (1st career) took precedence. Occasionally I would buy a few cards when the interest piqued, mostly new stuff, and once a customer of mine, oh hell, this deserves its' own little story:

So I owned an ice-cream parlor/sandwich joint. We had this customer, I'll call him "Don", who literally came in every day for several years. He was obviously a few cards short of a deck, and probably in his late 50's/early 60's. I always gave him discounts, but he drove my employees crazy. I felt bad for the guy.

One day I mentioned to "Don" something about me liking baseball cards, and he responded by saying he had a bunch in the trunk of his car, parked out front. So I go look and -whoa- he has hundreds, if not thousands of '57, '58, '60 and '61 Topps in there, also in the trunk was a spare tire, maybe 8 or nine pairs of stained underwear, and about a half-foot of standing water. Plus old food.

Basically I salvaged what I could, all the cards that were not destroyed I went through and payed him pretty well for what I wanted. Most of the big name players I got, and some nice-conditioned commons. I call it the Buick find.

Story over. But that was how the fire continued to smolder, if you will, until present time. Little things like: I spent a month in Cooperstown as a medical student (career # 2) and literally had The Hall to myself for a month. Also, from time to time I would re-google (is that a word?) Joss and kept winding up on this board. And I kept remembering how much I loved the lone Ramly I owned (Huggins, raw), and then wait! what about those Mecca double-folders and Hassan Triple-plays! And Old Judge! Those were great! Wouldn't it be cool to own one.

And then The Wife suggested last month I get a hobby. It probably would have been cheaper to suggest I take up crack.

So that's the end of the ramble. I promise to not be an asshat. I'm interested in the sets mentioned above, as well as some current stuff and completing the Buick find, but I'm kind of dipping a toe into the pool, if y'all know what I mean. I'm looking at this long-term. I still know there's that huge barn or basement find out there waiting for me.

Cheers,

Tony

Stonepony
04-27-2016, 01:09 PM
Hi Tony, welcome to the board!

Leon
04-27-2016, 01:47 PM
Welcome to the fray, Tony. You are among empathetic friends. Also, if you are interested in any of the 50s, and later, cards we have a side of the board for that too, it's not called the pre-war side though. :) Good luck in the hunt!!

Bpm0014
04-27-2016, 02:47 PM
Welcome aboard Tony. Neat introduction...

gregr2
04-27-2016, 02:55 PM
Welcome Tony! Great place here with many knowledgeable members.

autograf
04-27-2016, 02:55 PM
You had us at asshat. Nice intro and good luck on your quest(s)...............

Pilot172000
04-27-2016, 03:07 PM
Love the story! Welcome to the board.

53Browns
04-27-2016, 03:09 PM
Perfect opening line. Welcome to the "in crowd".

53Browns
04-27-2016, 03:14 PM
And yes, crack would be cheaper.

Pilot172000
04-27-2016, 03:26 PM
And yes, crack would be cheaper.

At least with Crack, people will know you have a problem. My Wife just thinks that I had all my reprints graded! :D

gemmint77
04-27-2016, 03:41 PM
Welcome to the boards. Cool story & good luck with the next Buick find!!

ajjohnsonsoxfan
04-27-2016, 03:56 PM
Love the "Buick Find" story. Can't make that stuff up. Welcome to the hobby

Corporal Lance Boil
04-27-2016, 07:06 PM
Thanks to those who responded. I would've replied sooner but apparently the satellite that crosses northern New Hampshire takes a break from time to time. This is what my wife told me, and she owns an iphone, so she must be right.

I look forward to speaking to y'all, and collecting. If anyone knows where Factory 458 in the Third District of Mass was located, I've got a shovel.

Tony

ATP
04-27-2016, 07:14 PM
Welcome! Would love to see your Addie Joss autograph is you are interested in sharing it. Jeff

pherbener
04-27-2016, 07:30 PM
Welcome Tony! Any fan of Cerebus is ok in my book!

bcornell
04-27-2016, 07:48 PM
[REMOVED] This forum is done.

sb1
04-27-2016, 08:08 PM
Happy hunting!!

familytoad
04-27-2016, 08:19 PM
Tony set a record in his introduction that can never be beat, but possibly tied.

No new board member has used "stained underwear" in his intro message previously.

Asshat is rarely mentioned by an original poster either.
And then there is the crack reference.

That's like getting 3 hits in your first game, brother!

Welcome to the board...keep swinging!

Enfuego
04-27-2016, 08:26 PM
Welcome

the 'stache
04-27-2016, 10:16 PM
Welcome aboard, Tony.

Leon
04-28-2016, 06:41 AM
Tony set a record in his introduction that can never be beat, but possibly tied.

No new board member has used "stained underwear" in his intro message previously.

Asshat is rarely mentioned by an original poster either.
And then there is the crack reference.

That's like getting 3 hits in your first game, brother!

Welcome to the board...keep swinging!

I am sitting in my office laughing, trying to keep it down. Yes, OP almost hit for the cycle on the intro.