PDA

View Full Version : 1969 Milton Bradley set

tschock
04-26-2016, 02:23 PM
How do you tell if your Milton Bradley is from 1969 or 1972? Hopefully the following well help clarify some of this, if this hasn't already been done (or if anyone actually cares). I would like a definitive list so please help fill in the gaps or correct me if I'm wrong.

I picked up an opened game about a year ago for a steal. It contained every card except for Tony Taylor. The general rule of thumb for the 1969 version is that if the card contains a red 1, and the red 1 does NOT have a base, it is from the 1969 set. However, in going through the cards, I found that the following cards did NOT contain any red 1s at all:

Agee, Tommy
Alvis, Max
Atlanta Braves (Pinch Hitter)
Baltimore Orioles (Second Baseman)
Cepeda, Orlando
Haller, Tom - #3 Bunt Out
Horton, Willie
Howard, Frank
Mazeroski, Bill
Mincher, Don
Morton, Bubba - this card was NOT in the 1972 set, so 1969 by default
Pepitone, Joe
Perez, Tony
San Diego Padres (Short Stop)

A few things to note:

For the 1969 set, I believe the cards that contain red 1s will have red 1s WITHOUT a base ONLY. If the card has a red 1 WITH AND WITHOUG a base, it is a 1972.
There are dice roll differences between the 1969 and 1972 sets. I have already seen this with the Tom Haller card.
The 1972 Brewers might be an anomaly as it has a red 1 WITHOUT a base (though I haven't confirmed if it also has a red 1 WITH a base as well). In any case, 1969 would have been the Seattle Pilots card.
Bubba Morton ONLY appeared in the 1969 set, unless the SCD is wrong.

To help fill in the gaps:

For the cards listed above, does anyone have a 1972 version? If so, does it have any red 1s (with or without a base)?
If you have any of the above, and don't know or can't tell, do they match the scan? If not, which dice roll is different? No need for a scan, just let me know the roll number and result for 1 of the different instances.
Does anyone have a Tony Taylor card from the 1969 set? Does it have a red 1 (without a base)?

Lastly... I am praying that there aren't variations within each year. :eek:

savedfrommyspokes
04-26-2016, 06:33 PM
Here is the back of the Taylor card from my 1969 MB set....I had 3 others from the group you pictured and they all matched.

Cliff Bowman
04-26-2016, 07:45 PM
I have a complete set of 1972 Milton Bradley, here are the back scans of the cards in question, minus the Pepitone. If I remember correctly, the only cards in the set that do not have red one's with a base are the Brewers header card and the Giants header card.

Cliff Bowman
04-26-2016, 08:17 PM
The two I missed.

David W
04-27-2016, 02:56 PM
Here are all the Lou Brock's. Most likely the 72 is not a proof, but I don't know

ALR-bishop
04-27-2016, 03:01 PM
Lou hardly aged at all during those years