PDA

View Full Version : Question re PX7 Domino Discs

cubman1941
04-22-2016, 05:52 AM
The guide I am using says the PX7 were player portrait against either red, green or blue background. However, I have what appears to be a couple with against a brown background. If I stretch I guess I could accept the blue back being against blue player background but the red back seems to be against a brown background player. Any help or ideas? Thanks.

Leon
04-22-2016, 08:20 AM
It might just be discolored from the environment?

cubman1941
04-22-2016, 08:22 AM
It might just be discolored from the environment?

I was wondering about that and could accept that on the blue but for red to discolor like this seems unusual to me. Thanks.

Phil Arem
04-22-2016, 11:03 AM
I have a related PX question. I have a disc with Fred Clarke on the front and rather than the typical dice, another common player's image on the back. Has anyone ever seen this? Is it rare etc? Thanks. Phil

ooo-ribay
04-22-2016, 12:17 PM
Which guide are you using, Jim? I have often found discrepancies in guides. In my case for example, I may not know a lot about everything but I do know more than the average Joe who might put together a guide when it comes to Giants. I have more than once found inaccurate info when it relates to Giants stuff. Maybe these also came in brown. Is that possible?

cubman1941
04-22-2016, 12:28 PM
I am using the Standard Catalog of Vintage Baseball Cards 3rd Edition. When Bob Lemke was editing the SCD I trusted it with my sole but that has been a few years ago. In fact I am mentioned in the Acknowledgements as over the years I have found some error and a few new additions. I just had a message that these indeed also had a brown who some think is plum or purple so I am going to consider it Brown as mine are closer to brown than purple. Thanks.
Jim

ooo-ribay
04-22-2016, 12:37 PM
These guys do the best they can but there's a ton of stuff out there. Ted Hake's 1986 pinback book has a few things turned around as well.

cubman1941
04-22-2016, 12:39 PM
They do and I appreciate that. Thanks.

bigfanNY
04-22-2016, 03:54 PM
Brown discs come with varied backs for instance I have a brown Cobb with a green back. Hope this helps

cubman1941
04-22-2016, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

bigfanNY
04-22-2016, 08:10 PM
As for the Clark with player back Please send me a pic jsjdsterling@gmail.com I have seen two discs put together to look like what you describe. If it is an error disc yes it is rare but market is small.

Phil Arem
04-22-2016, 09:12 PM
Will do thanks

tbob
04-27-2016, 09:42 AM
I have a related PX question. I have a disc with Fred Clarke on the front and rather than the typical dice, another common player's image on the back. Has anyone ever seen this? Is it rare etc? Thanks. Phil

Phil, I'd like to see a picture of that one also. trophybob@sbcglobal.net

tbob

Phil Arem
04-27-2016, 02:06 PM
Bob:
Picture of Disc sent to your email...
Phil

tbob
05-01-2016, 03:26 PM
Phil sent me a picture of his "ėrror" PX7 Domino Disc and it looks legit to me. No clue how this still exists as I would think the factory probably tossed them (quality control). I tried posting the scan he sent me but I couldn't get it to upload. It is NOT two discs glued or attached together. It is one disc with a green Clarke on one side and a green Warhop on the other. From what I can tell there does not appear to be any alteration.
I believe this is a 1 of 1, true rarity but as we PX7 collectors are a small group (I believe), the market is probably not that large. Of course the number of collectors who collect odd-ball cards like ghost images, wrong backs, blank backs and lack of color passes seems to increase all the time so it might be valuable. The best thing to do would probably put it an auction and see what the market would bear...

tbob

Phil Arem
05-01-2016, 05:29 PM
Bob:
Thanks for the comments. I will put my IT dept at work on the case and see if I can actually post a scan....
thanks
Phil

Leon
05-02-2016, 10:57 AM
Bob:
Thanks for the comments. I will put my IT dept at work on the case and see if I can actually post a scan....
thanks
Phil

Here are the discs but I had to scan from a piece of paper I printed out. PDF's don't work too well for our system.