PDA

View Full Version : Scam or NoT!?

irishdenny
04-19-2016, 04:47 AM
I Hardly Evar Come Over Here...
I'm 99.9% Prewar!

Only When I just recently ran across this...
I Just Had Ta Know what You Guys & Galz Thought of this Product!?

The Making of an Error Card...
And Then Numbering it 1/1?

Do You Think that this is Just Under minding the Collector?
oR
An Innovating Awesome Product that You Just Have ta Have!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Topps-Baseball-Opening-Day-1-1-Blank-Back-Avisail-Garcia-WHITE-SOX-/201552213891?hash=item2eed72b783%3Ag%3A5uYAAOSwBnV W%7EHyo&nma=true&si=Ub%252FOJcjEIZ7QJrUYAhMyHeNgIgA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I Only Ran Acoss this Card
Because I purchase a Blaster Box of "Topps Opening Day",
to Open with my 9 year old Son...

We Pull'd an Actual 1/1 of Avisail Garcia!
When we went ta Check Ebay fir Similar Cards
in Order ta Price them...
We Ran Across this (imho!)Home Made 1/1!

So What do You Guyz think of it?

Very Curious ta See what the New Order of thinkin is
Surroundin Cards Such as these...?

swarmee
04-19-2016, 05:50 AM
The Topps Vault is the official seller of Topps' cards made during the printing process. They have been selling blank backed cards from the 60s to the present day. Collectors value them less than pack-pulled cards numbered 1/1. Did you get the Superfractor (which has a yellow-swirly background) or some other type of 1/1 card?
It is not fraud or a scam for Topps to sell their production pieces direct to the consumer.

bnorth
04-19-2016, 06:23 AM
It is a real Topps card. Scam is a matter of opinion and I would call it a scam. It is just a blank back card no matter what they call it or the fake a$$ 1/1 on the sticker.

As a error collector I just cringe when I see these from the era I collect blank backs and see a 1/1 sticker on them. Especially when I have several of the same exact card.

Rookiemonster
04-19-2016, 07:18 AM
I belive these with a bunch of other "stuff" was released through the Topps vault . They always have things like this its probably from a test run . And then topps is like hey it's not garbage and instead of letting it walk out the back door we will sell it .

Laxcat
04-19-2016, 08:49 AM
I've been picking up the Astros stuff if it cheap. Almost spent a boat load on the Correa, very happy I was outbid. I think of them as novelties. However, I do shows in Dallas and the Cowboys stuff from the Vault sells VERY well there. Buy the Cowboys to resell and the Astros become free.

steve B
04-19-2016, 10:17 AM
Topps has been doing a load of internet only very short run stuff for a couple years now. These aren't much different, they're just selling them through the Toppsvault on Ebay instead of through the emails/website.

There's no telling how collectors will look at them in the future.

The only comparison I can make is the stuff issued in the 80's-90's that was exclusive to a particular market or promotion. And those end up all over the place.

90 Donruss learning series - sold only to schools. I had a connection and got a few sets. They aren't as good as I'd hoped.

198? I forget the year Hoops/sears basketball set. Poorly written ad for a set of 100 cards. The catalog made it sound like either a partial set or a random bunch of 100 cards. Bought two, and was pleasantly surprised to find that they were actually their own set. Same design, but only 1-100 and with yellow borders.

A ton of stuff was HSC exclusive. I have a Signature rookies set that came with a HSC exclusive signed card. Pretty cool, but about as valuable as any of their other stuff (In other words not worth a whole lot since it's not Jeter or another huge star) I didn't buy it from HSC but later, so I paid what it's worth now.

On the other hand there's the 84 Topps/Nestles cards sold as a set of sheets. I have the original ad/order form, and passed on the set because the ad showed normal Topps cards. And I'd just seen 1983 sheets on clearance at the toy store (which one was big but didn't survive toys r us? childworld? )
Of course those turned out fairly well.

Steve B