PDA

View Full Version : 62 Post Variation

JTysver
04-16-2016, 08:15 PM
Not sure if this one has been discovered yet. I'd think it has, but have no idea.

1962 Post #138 Sam Jones.

At first I thought that the blue sky background was merely just a printing issue. Then I looked at the cropping. It is different.
On the card with the white sky, there is no "S" in "FRANCISCO". On the Blue Version, it shows part of the "S". Clearly a different cropping of the photo.

Has an "S"

Has no "S"

savedfrommyspokes
04-17-2016, 05:34 AM
Most every card Post Cereal/Jello card cut from a box has at least one if not multiple variations. These variations mainly will involve the cropping of the image (these two copies of this card are also cropped different), but also with variances with the color/brightness of either the background or players image (as in this case). Most of these variances are due to what original product type the card appeared on.

Dan Mabey, a member of the board, has even self-published his own book on the topic. http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/passion-for-post-dan-mabeys-books-are-ultimate-guides-to-1960s-post-cereal-cards/

Here is a thread on the 62 Canadian Post Cereal variations:

http://t.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=191745

For every Post Cereal/ Jello issue, there could be a similar thread.

Kenmarks
04-19-2016, 10:33 PM
I very much agree with SAVEDFROMMYSPOKES as all "variations" are driven by a player appearing on different cereal flavors/sizes boxes (except Cash, Adcock, and Cepeda where the company took steps to correct errors). As also noted, if of interest, Dan Mabey is certainly the expert in this area and has written various books about different year's Post Cereal Baseball Card promotions. While most if not all books have sold out, I believe that Dan is going to likely produce another printing of the books. Certainly there is a lot of demand for this information and would suggest getting a hold of him with any interest you may have.

For what it is worth, Sam Jones appeared on three different cereal and thus has three different variations. Your blue sky variation is from a 12 oz. Grape Nuts Flakes panel. Your other Sam Jones variation came from a Sugar Coated Corn Flakes panel. The last variation which is not pictured (and toughest of the Sam Jones variations) came from a Top 3 box and has its own unique color and cropping differences. It is a pretty tough task to try to put together a master set of the 1962 Post Cereal Baseball cards given so many variations. The good thing is the set does not have many super expensive SPs as most SPs can be found on eBay for prices well below "book" by simply keeping an eye out.