PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about starting a T206 Brooklyn back collection

TNP777
04-14-2016, 11:51 PM
I know others have done this, probably lots of others. This would be a long-term project, and I'm wondering how tough the chase would ultimately be. I've narrowed my options down to three players. According to t206resource.com, these three have the most possible variations:

* Burch (fielding): 18 variations
* Jordan (batting): 18 variations
* Rucker (throwing): 19 variations

First: am I crazy?
Second: I see some of the tougher backs (according to t206resource) listed: Uzit, Drum, Hindu, Lenox, etc. Are they ridiculously tough (read: expensive)?

Oh, and what does the "probable no print" designation on the site mean?

Luke
04-14-2016, 11:55 PM
If you have $20k to put into it and you enjoy the hunt, it could be a great idea. You can't really pick those players if you don't have the budget. Do a google search for those players with Uzit, Broadleaf 460, Lenox and Red Hindu to get an idea of how much they will cost you.

Sean
04-15-2016, 01:09 AM
Probable no print means just that.The card has never been found with that back, and it is unlikely that that front/ back combo was ever printed. But since we can't prove a negative, it is not absolutely impossible that one could turn up.

VintageJay
04-15-2016, 01:43 AM
I'm currently doing this with the T206 Red Sox team set.

It has been a challenge, but you must be willing to have patience and understand that it could be a lifetime test.

I recommend starting with some of the more affordable common backs to see how committed you are.

Half the fun with collecting is searching and researching, so I say go for it!

Good luck!

TNP777
04-15-2016, 09:32 AM
If you have $20k to put into it and you enjoy the hunt, it could be a great idea. You can't really pick those players if you don't have the budget. Do a google search for those players with Uzit, Broadleaf 460, Lenox and Red Hindu to get an idea of how much they will cost you.
Luke, $20K-ish for all three players, or just one? I'm only going to choose one of the three... if I decide to even pursue one at all.

Luke
04-15-2016, 10:08 AM
I was thinking one player when I used that number. It's just a ballpark figure, but probably not too far off.

BL460 Rucker sold for $6k:
http://www.lelands.com/auction/AuctionDetail/69886/Fall-2012-Catalog-Auction/Sports/Sports-and-Non-Sports-Cards/Lot292~Very-Rare-T206-Nap-Rucker-With-Broadleaf-460-Back

Jordan Drum (from 2009) for $3k:
http://www.t206museum.com/page/periodical_92.html

Jordan Uzit $2500:
http://www.sterlingsportsauctions.com/1909_1911_T206_Jordan_UZIT_Cigarettes_SGC_40_-LOT17391.aspx

Rucker Lenox sold for $6k (a PSA 4.5):
http://www.goodwinandco.com/lot-26525.aspx

It would be a really cool project if you decide to pursue it. You'd have to have a lot of patience because the tougher backs are very scarce and might take years to show up for sale.

vintagetoppsguy
04-15-2016, 10:46 AM
Luke, $20K-ish for all three players, or just one? I'm only going to choose one of the three... if I decide to even pursue one at all.

I say go for it. I personally think the Jordan Batting is one of the most beautiful cards in the set.

TNP777
04-15-2016, 12:11 PM
I say go for it. I personally think the Jordan Batting is one of the most beautiful cards in the set.
Yes, I think so, too. Jordan will probably be my choice.

Luke, thanks for your input. I've been mentally kicking this around for many years, but didn't realize just how rare/expensive some of the backs are. This very well may be one of those projects I never finish. Maybe I'll have to be satisfied with 12/18 (or so), or maybe this will truly be a lifelong quest. Save up, try to snag one every few years.

slipk1068
04-15-2016, 12:39 PM
I would start by doing a back run of 2 or maybe all 3 of the players you are considering. After 10 years, you may be to the point where you need a Drum of player x, an Uzit of player y, and a Lenox of player z. Now you have 3 options to finish off your back run. It may be another 10 years or more, but you have more options and are more likely to accomplish your goal. It would suck to need a Drum of player x, and after 10 years of waiting, that card appears at auction, it sells for 10 times more than you feel it is worth. It would suck even more if you needed a Drum of player x and that card never appears for sale.

You have more options of you start a run of more than 1 player. You can always sell or trade down the road. Maybe skip the easier backs for now, but start by collecting the tougher backs of 2 or 3 of the players.

Luke
04-15-2016, 01:28 PM
I like David's suggestion. I am a bit biased because the 150 series is my favorite part of the set, but I think there are a few cards from from the earlier part of the set that would be fun. I love the Jordan portrait and Pastorius. Those would be tough to complete, but a lot easier than players in the 460 series. Most of the tougher backs would be pretty cheap too, it would just take some searching to find them.