PDA

View Full Version : 43 Minutes on "hold" with eBay & I finally gave up

The-Cardfather
04-14-2016, 06:03 PM
I wanted to speak to an eBay rep regarding my account tonight. I was given the phone number and a "one-time passcode" via their website. I called the number and after getting past the voice automated "bot", I was placed on hold. While on hold, I was forced to listen to awful music with periodic interruptions of "Please hold on. Your call is very important to us. A representative will be with you shortly." After 35 minutes of this torture without ever speaking to a human being, I finally hung up.

I called back the same number, only this time I didn't enter my "one-time passcode". I got the same automated "bot", and was again placed on hold with the same awful music. After 8 more minutes of this nonsence, I hung up.

Total waste of my time tonight: 43 minutes. Ridiculous!!!

Is this unusual or normal for eBay?

njdunkin1
04-14-2016, 06:28 PM
That stinks man! I have called eBay over quite a few number of things the past few weeks and haven't had any trouble. I call this number here:
1 (866) 540-3229
When you give the computer your account info and the computer says "OK, what can I help you with?" Just say "representative." The most I've waited is 2 minutes, tops. Best of luck!
P.s. - I typically call around noon. I've had the best success at that time.

savedfrommyspokes
04-14-2016, 06:34 PM
Not sure what time you tried to get through.......Try calling in the earlier morning hours (8am est), or later in the evenings. I seem to spend less time on hold during these non-peek times.

D. Bergin
04-15-2016, 01:13 PM
I've luckily gone through the last 16+ years without ever calling Ebay. Not something I would look forward to.

However, the wife wants me to call Comcast to get our cable bill straightened out. I think I'd rather do my taxes instead. :(

JustinD
04-15-2016, 06:30 PM
I have two "secrets" to always getting by the automated garbage.

First I always look for a number on the "GetHuman" website. They are almost constantly up to date and I have great success with them -

https://gethuman.com/

Second trick is, if you are calling your card company, mortgage company or anything of the like, always call or select the billing collection dept.

Companies will leave their good customers on hold for an hour, but if they think someone is paying a collection they will have less than a 2 minute wait as they don't want to have that person hang up. Then just ask the rep on the phone to transfer you as you must have picked the wrong option. Works like a champ.

pokerplyr80
04-15-2016, 08:28 PM
A good trick but make sure they don't transfer you back to the automated system. I have called other companies, got transferred to the wrong dept, then transferred back to the beginning. After long hold times along the way. Very frustrating. I always ask to be transferred to a person now.

clydepepper
04-15-2016, 08:51 PM
I never have to wait very long because of my 'trick'.

Just select 'Close My Account' and they come a runnin'.

Always go for the wallet!

forazzurri2axz
04-16-2016, 07:37 PM
++1 on your "external" one