PDA

View Full Version : upcoming Pittsburgh Show May20th-22nd

skelly
04-12-2016, 05:19 PM
Can anyone give me a "scouting" report on the Pittsburgh show ( I believe it is held at Robert Morris University ) I might be out in the area during those dates. How does it compare to say the King of Prussia Philly Show, White Plains Show, etc... Thanks

Cozumeleno
04-12-2016, 05:37 PM
Same here - I plan on going at least one day and would like some more info from anyone that's been there, too.

ls7plus
04-12-2016, 06:37 PM
I haven't been there in years, but it used to be a very good show, one I would attend regularly, drawing a lot of quality material.

Best of luck if you go,

Larry

kailes2872
04-12-2016, 06:51 PM
Other than the national, it is the highlight of my year. Many good guys such as Zimp and Wayne, Pat and Kevin (Savage), Larrie Dean has been there, Uncle Dick is a mainstay, Levi was there last year and several others. A lot of post war but not a ton of pre-war. Since I am a post war set collector, it suits me very well. I have found that several of the dealers and cards are similar between this weekend's Strongsville show and RMU. As a result, I'll probably save on tolls and time and skip Strongsville this year.

Let me know if N54 members will be there and we can trade on the floor ir just talk the trade. My want list is pretty narrow these days as I am committed on finishing up on some stuff before starting on new projects, so I might get shut out (but I keep getting pulled back into the REA auction and the 33 Delong Lionel Carter set...)

Jewish-collector
04-12-2016, 09:49 PM
I went last year. It was a good show, but a lot of the dealers were focused (obviously) on Pittsburgh Pirates cards & memorabilia, mostly from the 50's thru 70's especially of course, Clemente. And, some dealers had Steelers material.

There's not a lot of pre-war cards & memorabilia and, for that matter, there's very little basketball, hockey, and non-sports stuff.

Still it was an enjoyable show.

Leon
04-13-2016, 07:13 AM
Sounds like a good group of dealers, especially some vintage ones.

Other than the national, it is the highlight of my year. Many good guys such as Zimp and Wayne, Pat and Kevin (Savage), Larrie Dean has been there, Uncle Dick is a mainstay, Levi was there last year and several others. A lot of post war but not a ton of pre-war. Since I am a post war set collector, it suits me very well. I have found that several of the dealers and cards are similar between this weekend's Strongsville show and RMU. As a result, I'll probably save on tolls and time and skip Strongsville this year.

Let me know if N54 members will be there and we can trade on the floor ir just talk the trade. My want list is pretty narrow these days as I am committed on finishing up on some stuff before starting on new projects, so I might get shut out (but I keep getting pulled back into the REA auction and the 33 Delong Lionel Carter set...)

Bpm0014
04-13-2016, 07:36 AM
I live in Pittsburgh and haven't missed a show in 15 years. Lots of great stuff. Lots of vintage. Lots of T206s. Pretty huge show. Not as big as it was 15 years ago, but if I had to estimate...there are probably 15 rows with like 8-10 dealers each row. Always takes me about 2 hours to walk from beginning to end and then I take another lap or 2. If anyone needs help where to stay, or places to eat, or things to do, let me know!

Brendan

Cozumeleno
04-13-2016, 10:21 AM
I went last year. It was a good show, but a lot of the dealers were focused (obviously) on Pittsburgh Pirates cards & memorabilia, mostly from the 50's thru 70's especially of course, Clemente. And, some dealers had Steelers material.

There's not a lot of pre-war cards & memorabilia and, for that matter, there's very little basketball, hockey, and non-sports stuff.

Still it was an enjoyable show.

Yeah, that's what I always find when I'm out and about in the area. A lot of the dealers/vendors at flea markets/etc. here focus on black and gold stuff and are uniquely astonished when I tell them I'm not really interested in a Merrill Hoge rookie card.

Bpm0014
04-13-2016, 11:56 AM
I kind of disagree. I think there is a good amount of pre-war....

Cozumeleno
04-13-2016, 12:37 PM
I kind of disagree. I think there is a good amount of pre-war....

That's good to hear - I was referring to card shops and vendors set up at flea markets in the area, not the show. I've only been there once and that was like 15 years ago. It sounds like a change from the local setups that seem to be 'Stiller/Pirate-centric'.

Bpm0014
04-13-2016, 02:45 PM
Flea markets = zero. But the show is surprisingly strong I think.

edhans
04-13-2016, 03:14 PM
Gary Nuchereno and I will be set up as well. We'll have a large variety of pre and post war cards. William Chappell and Chris Buckler were set up there in previous years. They also have an excellent selection of pre war cards.

skelly
04-17-2016, 06:08 PM
Thank you for the responses. Looking forward to making the trip.