PDA

View Full Version : Taking a break from the hobby (and that is why I hate .99 cent auctions!)

bobbyw8469
04-11-2016, 04:50 PM
Hello all. Due to some unforeseen circumstances on my part, I am going to be taking a little break from the hobby. I am putting up my personal collection on Ebay (the easy stuff that I am able to do myself) and then consigning the rest to some of the big boys. I wanted to thank all the great friends I made on here, and if anyone is interested in anything, please check out my auctions.

swarmee
04-11-2016, 04:51 PM
Sorry to hear that; good luck with the sales.

junkwaxjunkie
04-11-2016, 04:52 PM
Hope your circumstances improve! What is your eBay ID? I'll check out the ones you post there.

bobbyw8469
04-11-2016, 04:54 PM
wandw-auctions

Thank you so much.

I'm starting tonight on listing some stuff and will trying my best to get as much as I can during the next few month. I got quite a bit, so bear with me.

clydepepper
04-11-2016, 04:55 PM
Hope your circumstances improve! What is your eBay ID? I'll check out the ones you post there.

Robert- I hope you get back soon...I'll check out your ebay items as soon as you post your ebay id.

Good Luck,
Raymond

OOPS! Everyone types faster than me.

53Browns
04-11-2016, 05:01 PM
Good luck with the sales Bobby. I'm glad to hear it's only a break. Look forward to your return. Take care till then!

junkwaxjunkie
04-11-2016, 05:03 PM
wandw-auctions

Thank you so much.

I'm starting tonight on listing some stuff and will trying my best to get as much as I can during the next few month. I got quite a bit, so bear with me.

I just followed you - definitely keep an eye out. Best of luck to you.

bobbyw8469
04-11-2016, 05:11 PM
This is personal collection stuff/stuff I recently accumulated. I went to the safe and grabbed the stuff that I was working on. A lot of low grade collector cards that I collected. You can also see what I personally collected, that not too many people knew about because I didn't want the competition (lol).

hangman62
04-11-2016, 05:28 PM
sorry..not seeing anything come up on ebay for that ?

bobbyw8469
04-11-2016, 05:32 PM
edited

Harliduck
04-11-2016, 05:45 PM
I did the same thing a year or so ago...sold my 50's sets to adopt another child...bought a classic car...ect...haha. Anyhow, I didn't know if I would get back in but the focus may have left...actually for over a year completely forgotten, but it didn't die. My wife bought me a 1960 Mantle for Christmas...and vualla...I am back in set collecting and loving it. I guess I felt compelled to post here because I wanted you to know that leaving and coming back felt great and I'm having more fun than ever. Strange picking up cards I sold off...but I do find that I am WAY more picky this go around. I do love this hobby but have others as well...

Anyways...enjoy the break and hope to have you back...cycles of life and sometimes other demands just require more focus. Good luck to you...

jbsports33
04-11-2016, 05:50 PM
Good Luck, we have all had to do that at one time or another

Jimmy

bobbyw8469
04-11-2016, 05:53 PM
Thanks everyone!

1952boyntoncollector
04-11-2016, 06:08 PM
]

we shall see.....

bobbyw8469
04-11-2016, 06:10 PM
]

we shall see.....

I don't have any bigger pieces. I do have some that I find hard to part with (Jim Brown rookie), but for the most part, everything will be out there.

maddux311
04-11-2016, 10:38 PM
Bobby, I wish this weren't the case. We kept it interesting for a while going in on some cards. That Namath rookie comes to mind, we sure rolled the dice on that one!

bobbyw8469
04-12-2016, 02:49 AM
Bobby, I wish this weren't the case. We kept it interesting for a while going in on some cards. That Namath rookie comes to mind, we sure rolled the dice on that one!

lol...Hey Jason! I wish we still had that one. We might have let that one go a little prematurely, as the prices on that one sure has risen up since we sold ours. All Star Cards alone is paying $1250 for that card, no fees, and Ebay buyers would be salivating at the mouth to get that one!

LuckyLarry
04-12-2016, 07:02 AM
if anyone is interested in anything, please check out my auctions.
Several of your listing the cards are SGC slabbed "A" "AUTH" but in your description of the card you say they are Near Mint or EX/MT. Why weren't these cards given a number grade?
Larry

bobbyw8469
04-12-2016, 07:29 AM
Several of your listing the cards are SGC slabbed "A" "AUTH" but in your description of the card you say they are Near Mint or EX/MT. Why weren't these cards given a number grade?
Larry

Those were the kinds of cards I went after Larry. I liked nice looking cards that had some kind of "issue" with them. You got them at a nice discount compared to the look. They were actually pretty difficult to find, as a few of the dealers (everyone knows who they are) actually snapped them up and sold them as raw, and received substantially more money. I am worried that that is what is going to happen with these. Usually there was an issue that SGC wouldn't give a number grade. Trimming, color touch, erased pencil mark, etc. I have also had "A" cards measure up correctly turn around and get a number grade on a subsequent submission.

LuckyLarry
04-12-2016, 11:00 AM
Usually there was an issue that SGC wouldn't give a number grade. Trimming, color touch, erased pencil mark, etc. I have also had "A" cards measure up correctly turn around and get a number grade on a subsequent submission.
Trimming, color touch, erased pencil mark, etc describe cards in Poor condition, not Near Mint.
Larry

glchen
04-12-2016, 11:05 AM
Hi Bobby, sorry to hear about this. Hopefully, this will just be a short break and you'll be back in the hobby soon.

bobbyw8469
04-12-2016, 11:27 AM
Hi Bobby, sorry to hear about this. Hopefully, this will just be a short break and you'll be back in the hobby soon.

Thanks Gary. I knew I should have stayed out of the pool hall! :p

bobbyw8469
04-12-2016, 11:30 AM
Trimming, color touch, erased pencil mark, etc describe cards in Poor condition, not Near Mint.
Larry

I was giving the eye appeal "appearance" of a card. You can have a trimmed card appear near mint. Hell, even the PSA card with the lowest cert appears NM! :p

Seriously though. I am describing what the cards eye appeal level appears to be. Not all trimmed cards are in "poor"" shape! I actively pursued these types of cards. I am sure others do too.

ullmandds
04-12-2016, 11:40 AM
I was giving the eye appeal "appearance" of a card. You can have a trimmed card appear near mint. Hell, even the PSA card with the lowest cert appears NM! :p

Seriously though. I am describing what the cards eye appeal level appears to be. Not all trimmed cards are in "poor"" shape! I actively pursued these types of cards. I am sure others do too.

i have a hard time believing u will be able to stay away from this board!

Rookiemonster
04-12-2016, 11:41 AM
Gotta say I bit confused . I've takin a break from the hobby myself . I just put my stuff in the closet and didn't buy and new stuff . Then a year or two later I jump back in . You could take a break and keep your stuff imo.

1952boyntoncollector
04-12-2016, 11:42 AM

there is some wide use of the term NM etc....funny if all card were raw , there would be 10000x more returns on ebay about 'item not described'

however as it has been discussed on this board...it is not uncommon for graded 'A' cards to sell for far more than '1's or even '2'+s due to eye appeal....'poor' if deemed a purpose of a graded '1' for valuation would not be accurate on a nice 'A' that would sell for a higher price than a '1' etc

bobbyw8469
04-12-2016, 11:46 AM
there is some wide use of the term NM etc....funny if all card were raw , there would be 10000x more returns on ebay about 'item not described'

however as it has been discussed on this board...it is not uncommon for graded 'A' cards to sell for far more than '1's or even '2'+s due to eye appeal....'poor' if deemed a purpose of a graded '1' for valuation would not be accurate on a nice 'A' that would sell for a higher price than a '1' etc

Exactly...I rather have a nice looking "A" than a beat up "1" (Poor) card any day of the week, and twice on Sunday!! However, I am sure I am in the minority.

tschock
04-12-2016, 01:53 PM

I see what both you and Larry are saying. In some cases it is more obvious that the card is trimmed, but others not so much (the '48 Bowman Feller?). And for the more 'obvious' cases of why it's authentic (and didn't receive a grade), I have no problem not explicitly being told. The large scans help a lot there!

What I (as a buyer) would prefer though would be something like:
"The card appears to be NM but was graded Authentic due to color retouching." Just my 2 cents. That said... I know it was graded A for SOME reason, so I bid accordingly if I can't tell what that reason might be. :)

Some very nice cards in any case. Good luck. As someone else posted, when you do get back in, you'll have a different outlook and will probably be surprised at the items that you sold which you don't miss.

bobbyw8469
04-12-2016, 04:04 PM
I see what both you and Larry are saying. In some cases it is more obvious that the card is trimmed, but others not so much (the '48 Bowman Feller?). And for the more 'obvious' cases of why it's authentic (and didn't receive a grade), I have no problem not explicitly being told. The large scans help a lot there!

What I (as a buyer) would prefer though would be something like:
"The card appears to be NM but was graded Authentic due to color retouching." Just my 2 cents. That said... I know it was graded A for SOME reason, so I bid accordingly if I can't tell what that reason might be. :)

Some very nice cards in any case. Good luck. As someone else posted, when you do get back in, you'll have a different outlook and will probably be surprised at the items that you sold which you don't miss.

Point taken. Some are obvious (the Yaz is trimmed). Others not so much. I don't pretend to be an expert. I'm pretty good, but things like that, I'm not good at at all. I once cracked an 'A' card out because it measured up and another grader gave it a '5' (MC)!!! I just describe it the way I know how, and bidders can blow up the scans really big and see for themselves.

I hear you on "not missing" any cards!! Time will tell!

ls7plus
04-12-2016, 06:45 PM
Good luck with the sales Bobby. I'm glad to hear it's only a break. Look forward to your return. Take care till then!

Ditto--your posts were always among the very most knowledgeable and valuable. I'll miss them! Like you, I don't often like to reveal the object(s) of my hunts, because I don't want the competition either.

Best wishes,

Larry

the 'stache
04-12-2016, 11:28 PM
Good luck to you, Bobby. I hope that eventually you'll be able to come back to the hobby.

bobbyw8469
04-21-2016, 08:16 PM
Uh-oh....Pending issue right out the gate!!

Leon
04-22-2016, 04:24 PM

Schleprock

botn
04-22-2016, 04:28 PM
Schleprock

LOL. I think he wants someone to take interest and ask what happened. I will take the bait.

Robert, what is the problem you have encountered?

D.P.Johnson
04-22-2016, 05:47 PM
I'm taking a break from the board too.
Gonna go make myself a ham sandwich. See you guys back here in a few minutes...

Leon
04-23-2016, 06:02 AM
I'm taking a break from the board too.
Gonna go make myself a ham sandwich. See you guys back here in a few minutes...

LMAO, me too, I am leaving the board....
I am getting up to walk into the kitchen to get some more coffeee.

bobbyw8469
04-23-2016, 08:50 AM
I'm giving the board member time to complete the transaction. I have sold plenty of cards where the buyer wins them for a song and I have ALWAYS shipped them out. It's the first I've heard that a buyer is upset that his snipe got bid up too high and he doesn't wish to pay that high of a price for the card.

smotan_02
04-23-2016, 01:37 PM
I still can't see anything in your eBay store, active or sold.

bobbyw8469
04-23-2016, 04:26 PM
Cause you are international. My stuff only shows up stateside.

tiger8mush
04-23-2016, 04:52 PM
I'm giving the board member time to complete the transaction. I have sold plenty of cards where the buyer wins them for a song and I have ALWAYS shipped them out. It's the first I've heard that a buyer is upset that his snipe got bid up too high and he doesn't wish to pay that high of a price for the card.

So a bidder set a snipe on your auction, won it, and now doesn't want to pay. And this bidder is a board member?

Peter_Spaeth
04-23-2016, 06:04 PM

Why bring this up at all? If you want to give the bidder a chance to complete that's fine but then what was the point of posting this?

vintagetoppsguy
04-23-2016, 06:48 PM
Why bring this up at all? If you want to give the bidder a chance to complete that's fine but then what was the point of posting this?

Maybe so that the buyer will see this and it will motivate him to pay and the situation won't have to go any further.

wilkiebaby11
04-23-2016, 07:23 PM
I am that bidder! Didnt see this until now, so I will try and clear the air with an unambiguous post.

I set a snipe on a few of Robert's cards but one particular one I accidentally added an extra digit to it, unknowingly (the 3 digit number is a common one that I have to use, so I'm guessing it was muscle memory). Either way, my 2 digit bid turned into a hefty 3 digit bid. Obviously I wasn't going to lose the auction with this bid (mathematically my bid would be at least 10x larger). I ended up winning the auction for about 65% more than VCP, while setting a new record for said card's grade. The card is stellar looking, so it may be worth... to someone... just not me.

I explained this to Robert and asked him if he minded maybe seeing if any of the underbidders would like to buy it as a Second Chance. He deflected and told me that I got a great deal because it's an awesome card (which again it is). I asked again for some understanding, even pulled the "net54 member" card. He told me that I had 7 days to pay and if I didnt that I would be given a Did Not Pay strike and banned from his auctions and "Do you really want to be blocked from our auctions when we are going to be giving all sorts of stuff away in the next few months??". I have since offered to compensate the difference if he could find an underbidder willing to buy it. I made a mistake, but if he could help fix or alleviate it, then I would gladly compensate him for his troubles. He obviously doesnt have to help me out at all, but maybe he will, so I asked, and it looks like his initial post was made just minutes after I did so, so I don't knwo if it was directed at me, or meant to be bait for someone else. Either way, here I am making a post to clear the air. (Which I really didnt think warranted this much attention)

I have 7 days to pay for the card. The "pending issue" was me asking for him to take some time and help me out. I never said that I wouldn't pay for the item. I definitely dont do this habitually and this is the first time that I can recall asking for some understanding from a seller. I would have simply paid for the item and took the "loss" but I figured that being a fellow board member that Robert would be understanding and take a few minutes to send out 2 or 3 Second Chance offers. And again, he's not obligated to do that at all.

That's the pending issue... which is still pending. :D

Peter_Spaeth
04-23-2016, 07:27 PM
Life is too short to shove a card down someone's throat. Particularly a fellow board member. I think most people here would just accept Steve's explanation and move on.

bnorth
04-23-2016, 08:31 PM
Life is too short to shove a card down someone's throat. Particularly a fellow board member. I think most people here would just accept Steve's explanation and move on.

I have never heard of a single time when forcing a sale through eBay worked out for the seller. Heard a lot of bad stories how items get destroyed and then item not as described cases being opened against the seller though.

Peter_Spaeth
04-23-2016, 08:38 PM
I have never heard of a single time when forcing a sale through eBay worked out for the seller. Heard a lot of bad stories how items get destroyed and then item not as described cases being opened against the seller though.

Irrespective of that it's just bad manners and bad karma. The man made a mistake, let it go, you still have the card and you will find another buyer. If you lose a few bucks in the process, so it goes.

D.P.Johnson
04-23-2016, 08:40 PM

Yep. And, I imagine getting one "Did Not Pay" strike probably doesn't affect an ebay buyer too harshly either.

1952boyntoncollector
04-23-2016, 10:33 PM
I am that bidder! Didnt see this until now, so I will try and clear the air with an unambiguous post.

I set a snipe on a few of Robert's cards but one particular one I accidentally added an extra digit to it, unknowingly (the 3 digit number is a common one that I have to use, so I'm guessing it was muscle memory). Either way, my 2 digit bid turned into a hefty 3 digit bid. Obviously I wasn't going to lose the auction with this bid (mathematically my bid would be at least 10x larger). I ended up winning the auction for about 65% more than VCP, while setting a new record for said card's grade. The card is stellar looking, so it may be worth... to someone... just not me.

I explained this to Robert and asked him if he minded maybe seeing if any of the underbidders would like to buy it as a Second Chance. He deflected and told me that I got a great deal because it's an awesome card (which again it is). I asked again for some understanding, even pulled the "net54 member" card. He told me that I had 7 days to pay and if I didnt that I would be given a Did Not Pay strike and banned from his auctions and "Do you really want to be blocked from our auctions when we are going to be giving all sorts of stuff away in the next few months??". I have since offered to compensate the difference if he could find an underbidder willing to buy it. I made a mistake, but if he could help fix or alleviate it, then I would gladly compensate him for his troubles. He obviously doesnt have to help me out at all, but maybe he will, so I asked, and it looks like his initial post was made just minutes after I did so, so I don't knwo if it was directed at me, or meant to be bait for someone else. Either way, here I am making a post to clear the air. (Which I really didnt think warranted this much attention)

I have 7 days to pay for the card. The "pending issue" was me asking for him to take some time and help me out. I never said that I wouldn't pay for the item. I definitely dont do this habitually and this is the first time that I can recall asking for some understanding from a seller. I would have simply paid for the item and took the "loss" but I figured that being a fellow board member that Robert would be understanding and take a few minutes to send out 2 or 3 Second Chance offers. And again, he's not obligated to do that at all.

That's the pending issue... which is still pending. :D

you sound like you stepping up but offering to pay the difference and also willing to just pay......i just want to add that if i ever received a 2nd chance offer from a seller i never buy it...i also really downgrade the seller in my eyes as he could be legit..or he could just be using a shill and 'won' the card by accident....if someone won one of my aucitons i wouldnt do a 2nd chance auction to the underbidder for those reasons..

wilkiebaby11
04-23-2016, 10:41 PM
you sound like you stepping up but offering to pay the difference and also willing to just pay......i just want to add that if i ever received a 2nd chance offer from a seller i never buy it...i also really downgrade the seller in my eyes as he could be legit..or he could just be using a shill and 'won' the card by accident....if someone won one of my aucitons i wouldnt do a 2nd chance auction to the underbidder for those reasons..

Those were the seller's concerns as well. I understand them.

I have bought through 2nd Chance offers before. In this case though, his/your concerns would probably match that of any underbidder. The card went for a record high, so it definitely would spook suspicion to anyone receiving said offer as to why the record breaker did want to buy it.

I feel as though we will come to some mutual agreement after our initial disagreement/issue.

chaddurbin
04-23-2016, 10:54 PM
Those were the seller's concerns as well. I understand them.

I feel as though we will come to some mutual agreement after our initial disagreement/issue.

No one has ever accused the op of taking the less winding road. I bet he got rock hard reading as you were explaining your situation.

Of course it wouldve been too simple just cancelling the transaction...but then if the board didnt know about it, was there any drama at all?

glynparson
04-24-2016, 04:27 AM
You should cut the guy some slack and move on. If this becomes a pattern i am sure he would end up blocked by many on Net54 but a single mistake I know i have made more than 1 in my lifetime.

ullmandds
04-24-2016, 06:25 AM
and since when is it ok to advertise sales on the front page?

and all sales of modern cards at that.

Leon
04-24-2016, 06:44 AM

It's not ok to sell things on the front page. This has been mentioned and is on the radar. I should add I see talk about selling but not specifics or links....

Peter_Spaeth
04-24-2016, 07:46 AM
It's not ok to sell things on the front page. This has been mentioned and is on the radar. I should add I see talk about selling but not specifics or links....

Post 10.

Paul S
04-24-2016, 08:10 AM

That is the cruelest cut of all!

thecatspajamas
04-24-2016, 08:16 AM

This is exactly why I don't do 2nd Chance offers either, unless it is an item that I clearly could and do have multiples of the exact same item. That wouldn't be the case with graded cards.

My suggestion, if he is willing to work with you, is to run the item at auction again and allow you to just pay the difference between what it sells for the second time and what you won it for. The second time around will be less, but if you're paying the difference, wouldn't be as much a concern for him.

I might also say I sympathize somewhat with the seller, as it's no fun to think you just got a record-high price for something, only to get sucker-punched with a renege or accusation of shilling. Even if he successfully wades through the muck to the other side of the deal, all that added work and negotiation takes a bit of the shine off of the initial high of the sale. I've been there plenty of times, and just wished the winner had stayed out of it to begin with so that the underbidder would have won it at a lesser, but still satisfying, price.

vintagetoppsguy
04-24-2016, 08:23 AM
Of course it wouldve been too simple just cancelling the transaction...but then if the board didnt know about it, was there any drama at all?

Seriously?

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=220338

As far as the situation with Bobby and Steve, I've dealt with both of them and think they're both great guys. Hope it works out for both.

Peter_Spaeth
04-24-2016, 08:24 AM
This is exactly why I don't do 2nd Chance offers either, unless it is an item that I clearly could and do have multiples of the exact same item. That wouldn't be the case with graded cards.

My suggestion, if he is willing to work with you, is to run the item at auction again and allow you to just pay the difference between what it sells for the second time and what you won it for. The second time around will be less, but if you're paying the difference, wouldn't be as much a concern for him.

I might also say I sympathize somewhat with the seller, as it's no fun to think you just got a record-high price for something, only to get sucker-punched with a renege or accusation of shilling. Even if he successfully wades through the muck to the other side of the deal, all that added work and negotiation takes a bit of the shine off of the initial high of the sale. I've been there plenty of times, and just wished the winner had stayed out of it to begin with so that the underbidder would have won it at a lesser, but still satisfying, price.

I disagree. Take the board member at his word. Cancel the transaction, no questions or repercussions, and move on.

Leon
04-24-2016, 08:28 AM
Post 10.

Not anymore. I hadn't had enough coffee and actually didn't even think about it until this morning when I got a PM from another member....but still didn't see the link :( . Sorry about that....

bobbyw8469
04-24-2016, 08:50 AM
Sorry for all the drama. Some people think I like drama. I really don't. I am actually rather quiet and quite reserved. Thanks everyone for your support.

Peter_Spaeth
04-24-2016, 08:55 AM

Some of us would define that as drama.

bobbyw8469
04-24-2016, 09:01 AM
PS - I have always sold and delivered a card, no matter how.cheaply it sold for (case in point - the 1954 Bowman Ted Williams that sold for a song during EBay's problematic time). Is it too much to ask a winning buyer to honor his transaction? All the major auction houses have wordage in their catalogs even stating that they can't allow retractions. Since when did we get to be so carefree that cancelling bids and not honoring winning bids is now deemed acceptable practice?

Peter_Spaeth
04-24-2016, 09:05 AM
PS - I have always sold and delivered a card, no matter how.cheaply it sold for (case in point - the 1954 Bowman Ted Williams that sold for a song during EBay's problematic time). Is it too much to ask a winning buyer to honor his transaction? All the major auction houses have wordage in their catalogs even stating that they can't allow retractions. Since when did we get to be so carefree that cancelling bids and not honoring winning bids is now deemed acceptable practice?

He explained that he made a mistake. What's the point of forcing it down his throat if he doesn't want it at that price? I would think the vast majority of people here would just say ok whatever. I could be wrong of course.

slidekellyslide
04-24-2016, 09:11 AM

Why put yourself through the drama? I'm a seller on ebay, but have learned it's a buyer's playground, you play by their rules or else. The last time I tried to hold a guy to his bid by threatening to give him a NPB strike he paid and immediately gave me a negative. Not worth the hassle. Cancel the transaction and relist, it's healthier.

vintagetoppsguy
04-24-2016, 09:14 AM
One thing I've learned about this board. You can take two nearly identical situations and people's opinions will change based on who the board members are.

04-24-2016, 09:33 AM

Though I don't agree with you basically running a BST thread on the main board, I agree with you that the buyer is obligated to pay.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/buyer-rules-overview.html#paying

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160424/9538ea8291e2c3896299f91746619655.jpg

Peter_Spaeth
04-24-2016, 09:36 AM
Though I don't agree with you basically running a BST thread on the main board, I agree with you that the buyer is obligated to pay.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/buyer-rules-overview.html#paying

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160424/9538ea8291e2c3896299f91746619655.jpg

Nobody including Steve himself is disputing the "obligation" to pay. The question is what is the right thing to do. Bob has the option to cancel the transaction and IMO that is what he should do.

bobbyw8469
04-24-2016, 09:37 AM
One thing I've learned about this board. You can take two nearly identical situations and people's opinions will change based on who the board members are.

+1. You are an astute man David James! I have noticed that as well myself.

The card in question was a 1961 Topps Juan Marichal rookie card (PSA 6). As far as regular Topps issues go, this is one of the most off centered cards I know of (as well as the 1959 Bob Gibson). The winning buyer seemed to be quite hung up on VCP average and not wanting to get ripped off (which the average is around $66). Being a VCP member myself, I explained to him that all the cards selling for VCP average or less, are HORRENDOUSLY off centered, to the tune of 80/20 or worse, usually favoring the extreme left or right border. If you notice any of the cards selling for more than that, all of them are centered halfway decent. The selling prices range from $90-$105 for cards that are centered half-way decent. That being said, he overpaid by a whopping $9! Doesn't have to be 50/50, just better than the usual horrible ones I am seeing. The buyer didn't want to hear that. He thought $66 was gonna win it. I am not a fan of problematic auctions for the exact reasons two other members have stated. One of the underbidders is one of the premiere PSA graded card "flippers" on EBay. Do I want to risk alienating his future business (he bids on alot of my stuff) by letting him think that this particular auction was shilled?? Hell no! I will probably send him a 2nd chance anyway, and hope for the best, as I really hate starting over from scratch.

And yes, that was a valid question - does he really want to be blocked for overpaying by $9????? I block all non-paying bidders - I sure as hell will block one for doing what he is doing (which in my opinion is worse, because he should know better).

04-24-2016, 09:38 AM
Nobody including Steve himself is disputing the "obligation" to pay. The question is what is the right thing to do.

Well really most everyone is acting like it's a foregone conclusion that he should just forget it and move on. As David said, unfortunately it seems the reaction to this "drama" depends on who is on each side.

bobbyw8469
04-24-2016, 09:49 AM
Agreed.....depending on the parties involved, you get different stories. I have asked the buyer to cancel the transaction. It will probably be relisted when I get my Clemente and Aaron rookie back from PSA, as I like to group all my rookies together. Hopefully it will do well the 2nd go round as well. I wish he had never "sniped" as it totally ruined the auction. It might also mess up my future dealings with the underbidders. I know you can change/cancel snipes up until the last 3 minutes. If he knew that he put in a $666 snipe, why didn't he just change or cancel it????????

Peter_Spaeth
04-24-2016, 10:06 AM
Bob you did the right thing, IMO. I hope the card does fine next time.

wilkiebaby11
04-24-2016, 10:18 AM
Agreed.....depending on the parties involved, you get different stories. I have asked the buyer to cancel the transaction. It will probably be relisted when I get my Clemente and Aaron rookie back from PSA, as I like to group all my rookies together. Hopefully it will do well the 2nd go round as well. I wish he had never "sniped" as it totally ruined the auction. It might also mess up my future dealings with the underbidders. I know you can change/cancel snipes up until the last 3 minutes. If he knew that he put in a $666 snipe, why didn't he just change or cancel it????????

Our stories are both 100% correct, our interpretations are different though.

You see my bid as a great deal and one I should be obligated to pay, no matter the circumstances.
I see my bid as a mistake, a mistake that I was hoping you would understand and help me out. (I don't deny the obligation to pay)

In the end, I am thankful that you cancelled the transaction. So there is a thanks due; thanks.

As for the snipe... I obviously didnt realize that my bid was ridiculously high or I would have changed it. The whole point of a snipe is to not have to watch the item. It's like the old commercial for rotisserie oven, "set it and forget it." I don't know why you continue to think that I knew my bid was incorrect and I simply let it be. (Also, GavelSnipe.com recently increased their bid-change policy to 10 minutes, which is the service I use.)

Lastly, I'm going to doubt (though I could be wrong) that any underbidders are going to be deterred by the relisting. Maybe you should send them a message telling them that the card is going back up for auction because the top bidder was a no-good-for-nothing bidder. Obviously you have some sort of repertoire or relationship with one of them since you know he is one of the "premiere PSA graded card flippers on EBay". That's a rather notorious badge to put on another user without knowing them in some sort of way.

But in the end, I do have to thank you for cancelling the transaction as you didnt have to. So for that I am grateful and I appreciate it. I also apologize for making my mistake on the snipe.

asoriano
04-24-2016, 10:21 AM
Steve - what is your eBay name so I can block you?

Turn.er E.ngle

ullmandds
04-24-2016, 10:28 AM

Turn.er E.ngle

Haha! This is turning out to be an insidious execution of a sale of non-vintage items on the front page vintage section. Strike one, 2 three you should be out and so should this thread be .

frankbmd
04-24-2016, 10:29 AM
leaving the hobby for a $9 dispute seems ridiculous, but

not paying $75 for a $9 mistake seems just as ridiculous.

I'd call it a draw.

wilkiebaby11
04-24-2016, 10:31 AM

Turn.er E.ngle

Sent to ya.

I'm not a huge spender on cards, but I do push the 4-figure mark each month. So over paying for 1 certain card was not a huge issue. I simply reached out to Robert explaining that this one time that I made a mistake and if he could in anyway help me out, that I would appreciate it.

Unfortunately he decided to make a private matter on eBay into a public matter on a separate platform, making a post and changing the title of this thread. Maybe I added fuel to the fire by replying to it, but I wanted to clear the air on what was happening. Our stories nearly perfectly coincide, just our interpretations differ.

I never said that I wouldn't pay. I simply, and kindly, asked for any help and understanding in my mistake. He didnt have to obliged. But he has, so kudos to him.

Peter_Spaeth
04-24-2016, 11:03 AM
Sent to ya.

I'm not a huge spender on cards, but I do push the 4-figure mark each month. So over paying for 1 certain card was not a huge issue. I simply reached out to Robert explaining that this one time that I made a mistake and if he could in anyway help me out, that I would appreciate it.

Unfortunately he decided to make a private matter on eBay into a public matter on a separate platform, making a post and changing the title of this thread. Maybe I added fuel to the fire by replying to it, but I wanted to clear the air on what was happening. Our stories nearly perfectly coincide, just our interpretations differ.

I never said that I wouldn't pay. I simply, and kindly, asked for any help and understanding in my mistake. He didnt have to obliged. But he has, so kudos to him.

I think you comported yourself just fine. And in the end Bob did the right thing too, and deserves respect for doing so.

vintagetoppsguy
04-24-2016, 11:20 AM
Bob you did the right thing, IMO. I hope the card does fine next time.

Peter, I usually agree with about 95% of the stuff you post here. I like you and respect you as a board member. However, this is one of those 5% times you are wrong.

Both parties should do the right thing IMO. Bobby did his part by cancelling the sale (even though he did nothing wrong). However, Steve should make good here too. Here's how:

The card sold for $114. Bobby should re-list the card and Steve should pay Bobby the difference between the $114 and what the cards sells for the second time around. For example, if the card sells for $90, Steve should pay Bobby $24, the difference between the two auctions.

After all, there is an under bidder in all this that nobody is considering that was willing to pay up to $111.50 for the card. Therefore, Bobby shouldn't lose money the second time around.

Peter_Spaeth
04-24-2016, 11:23 AM
I agree that would be an appropriate gesture on Steve's part.

bobbyw8469
04-24-2016, 12:20 PM
Yes, I did make a generalization oh here, but I had no.intention of calling Steve out, even when it was obvious he wasn't going to pay. He is the one that announced his part in the transaction. In addition to selling, I am also a buyer (well, more so before I decided to take a break). It never crosses my mind to not pay for an auction I win, no matter what. Maybe I think differently than most. I also announced my break before this auction. This is one of the sells made during my opening purge.

chaddurbin
04-24-2016, 12:27 PM
oh haha you guys got me good, i got sucked into this vortex of drama over a difference of $9! now i feel silly kinda siding with the buyer on this, he made it sound all dramatic about how it's 67% over vcp and his snipe was accidently set at 10x the ending price...gasp the horror!!! all the back and forth and you guys couldn't resolve a $9 difference of a $60 postwar card.

this board is getting just silly, i think i'm just gonna exclusively hang out in the one designated prewar thread on the board. good bye greatest guitarist of them all (prince), good bye trout/harper/bryant (they're all white guys so you can't go wrong), good bye fake/real/bad scan/shady seller e90-1 young (since it's actually pre-war related of course no one on a prewar board would know the answer to).

KingFisk
04-24-2016, 01:10 PM
Seriously?

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=220338

As far as the situation with Bobby and Steve, I've dealt with both of them and think they're both great guys. Hope it works out for both.
+1 on having great dealings with both fellows.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

swarmee
04-24-2016, 02:01 PM
I would have no problem buying the Marichal rookie for $100 PP F/F and this thread can stop ($112.50 minus 10% ebay fee is $100). How's that work out?

bobbyw8469
04-24-2016, 02:17 PM
It's yours swarmee if you want it!! I sent Steve a notice to cancel, and so far he hasn't agreed to it yet.

I think it is silly as well....he didn't overpay that much (not for a centered Marichal rookie card). The card market is definitely heating up, so I didn't see anything unusual at all with the final selling price.

bobbyw8469
04-24-2016, 02:32 PM
People get too hung up on VCP average. Like I said earlier, non centered cards go at and below average. Centered ones go for much higher than that. People should learn to focus on the card, and not the flip. Thanks heavens not everyone gets caught up in VCP average, or we wouldn't have $100,000 Joe Namath rookie cards!

oh haha you guys got me good, i got sucked into this vortex of drama over a difference of $9! now i feel silly kinda siding with the buyer on this, he made it sound all dramatic about how it's 67% over vcp and his snipe was accidently set at 10x the ending price...gasp the horror!!! all the back and forth and you guys couldn't resolve a $9 difference of a $60 postwar card.

this board is getting just silly, i think i'm just gonna exclusively hang out in the one designated prewar thread on the board. good bye greatest guitarist of them all (prince), good bye trout/harper/bryant (they're all white guys so you can't go wrong), good bye fake/real/bad scan/shady seller e90-1 young (since it's actually pre-war related of course no one on a prewar board would know the answer to).

Peter_Spaeth
04-24-2016, 02:38 PM
8.5 Namath at 85K. Uh.... whatever.

bobbyw8469
04-24-2016, 02:39 PM
8.5 Namath at 85K. Uh.... whatever.

It's not finished yet...that's why i said $100,000.....just an optimistic prediction.

Peter_Spaeth
04-24-2016, 02:42 PM
It's not finished yet...that's why i said $100,000.....just an optimistic prediction.

Madness, IMHO.

tiger8mush
04-24-2016, 04:19 PM
People should learn to focus on the card, and not the flip.

Your auction listing verbiage would lead me to believe differently ...

"All of our graded cards have been authenticated by the best 3rd party graders available (PSA, SGC, & BGS/BVG). Anything not graded by one of these grading companies isn't worth the money paid for it."

bobbyw8469
04-24-2016, 04:59 PM

"All of our graded cards have been authenticated by the best 3rd party graders available (PSA, SGC, & BGS/BVG). Anything not graded by one of these grading companies isn't worth the money paid for it."

Right...what is wrong with that?? I don't sell any GEM, PRO, IGA (or whatever they are called) cards... That statement was written by my girlfriend, oh, about 10 or so years ago. I don't see anything wrong with it?

drmondobueno
04-24-2016, 05:00 PM

+1

bobbyw8469
04-24-2016, 05:03 PM
+1

-1 Read previous post.

DBesse27
04-24-2016, 05:27 PM
Sorry for all the drama. Some people think I like drama. I really don't. I am actually rather quiet and quite reserved. Thanks everyone for your support.

Thanks for the laugh!

Steve, on the other hand, is the most respectable man I have ever dealt with in this hobby. Sounds like he made an honest mistake and was asking for (not expecting) you to do him a solid.

Which you did, after injecting a large dose of drama. But you hate drama. I forgot.

wilkiebaby11
04-24-2016, 05:50 PM
Yes, I did make a generalization oh here, but I had no.intention of calling Steve out, even when it was obvious he wasn't going to pay.

This is a 100% false assumption and accusation. One that I don't take kindly. I have not made a single accusation towards you and I don't appreciate receiving it.

You told me I had 7 days to pay. I didnt pay at 11pm on Friday... And I didnt pay on Saturday either since we were still messaging. Then I saw this thread and post, and I was kind of disturbed by it, so forgive me for not running to my computer to pay you immediately. Not once, in all of our messages did I say that I refused to pay. I have never not paid for an item I had won and was obligated to pay. All I asked was if you could understand my mistake/situation and possibly send out a second chance offer. When you said "no, you have 7 days to pay" I didnt refute that. I also didnt want to pay just that minute as yes, I was a little upset that you weren't a little more considerate, but instead kept telling me how awesome of a deal I got and the small threats of missed opportunities, and then this thread. Like I said earlier, paying $45 over my 'wanted snipe' wasnt going to break me, I simply asked you for a favor. That was it, nothing more.

I'm still kind of lost on your stance of Second Chance offers though. At first you said you don't do them, then you were considering them, not again, then maybe again. I have and will continue to stand by my offer of making up the difference on any of the second chance offers that you may or may not send out. There were 2 underbidders that also would have set a new record for the card's grade.

drmondobueno
04-24-2016, 05:55 PM
-1 Read previous post.

I did.

wilkiebaby11
04-24-2016, 06:18 PM
This whole situation was me asking Robert "Hey, I made a mistake; could you do me a solid?", not "Hey, I made a mistake; I'm not paying".

I dont know if Robert took it that way, or if others have as well. I simply asked a favor of a board member to help me rectify my mistake (especially given there were other bidders that seemed to really want the card... given the record price that they bid). I added to it by offering to make up the difference of my bid to the second chance offering.

And yet again... I never stated, threatened, or implied that I would ever NOT pay for the card.

1952boyntoncollector
04-24-2016, 06:24 PM
+1. You are an astute man David James! I have noticed that as well myself.

The card in question was a 1961 Topps Juan Marichal rookie card (PSA 6). As far as regular Topps issues go, this is one of the most off centered cards I know of (as well as the 1959 Bob Gibson). The winning buyer seemed to be quite hung up on VCP average and not wanting to get ripped off (which the average is around $66). Being a VCP member myself, I explained to him that all the cards selling for VCP average or less, are HORRENDOUSLY off centered, to the tune of 80/20 or worse, usually favoring the extreme left or right border. If you notice any of the cards selling for more than that, all of them are centered halfway decent. The selling prices range from $90-$105 for cards that are centered half-way decent. That being said, he overpaid by a whopping $9! Doesn't have to be 50/50, just better than the usual horrible ones I am seeing. The buyer didn't want to hear that. He thought $66 was gonna win it. I am not a fan of problematic auctions for the exact reasons two other members have stated. One of the underbidders is one of the premiere PSA graded card "flippers" on EBay. Do I want to risk alienating his future business (he bids on alot of my stuff) by letting him think that this particular auction was shilled?? Hell no! I will probably send him a 2nd chance anyway, and hope for the best, as I really hate starting over from scratch.

And yes, that was a valid question - does he really want to be blocked for overpaying by $9????? I block all non-paying bidders - I sure as hell will block one for doing what he is doing (which in my opinion is worse, because he should know better).

its funny its over 8 dollars! and its a clear obligation..yeah you can get out of it on a mistake but why go that route? Heck i have paid hundreds of dollars and followed through on a 'mistake' and bought the card and resold the card and taken a 10-20% loss which to me was better than not meeting my obligation...to me 9 dollars isnt worth it to cry to the seller etc (and yes i know there may be a diisagremetn of the exact amount difference) and even offer to pay the difference on a another auction...wait a week to pay 9 dollars? Plus if now buy the card at 'vcp' ..now im out the 9 dollars on the 'deal' i made plus the money spent for VCP...and its probably not as centered a card.....

Yes i know the bidder was willing to pay for the card if not released from the obligation, but i why not just pay it...save the 'favor' to be released from an obligation on a bigger type transaction...now this is on the record if something else comes up

wilkiebaby11
04-24-2016, 06:35 PM
its funny its over 8 dollars! and its a clear obligation..yeah you can get out of it on a mistake but why go that route? Heck i have paid hundreds of dollars and followed through on a 'mistake' and bought the card and resold the card and taken a 10-20% loss which to me was better than not meeting my obligation...to me 9 dollars isnt worth it to cry to the seller etc. ...

I dont know where the $9 or $8 are coming from. I wanted to snipe it at $66, VCP was $68 at the time. The card ended at $114 with me as the winner. I'm no mathematician, actually yes I am, but the difference is $48. I felt that it was significant enough, given the card, that I could at least ask Robert for the favor. I thought it wouldn't hurt. (Boy, was I 100% wrong. Proof through this ongoing thread)

I've said it multiple times, I didnt say, imply, or threaten that I wouldn't pay. There were 2 underbidders that bid what would have been a new record price, if not for my mistake snipe. I simply asked Robert, if he wouldnt mind asking the underbidders if they wanted it. There was no mention of not paying on my part. I knew he was a board member, so I thought that maybe he would do me the solid. Obviously someone wanted it more than I did.

Peter_Spaeth
04-24-2016, 06:38 PM
More importantly, is correct usage do me A solid or do me THE solid?

Burkett naturally is to blame for the 9 dollars.

wilkiebaby11
04-24-2016, 06:41 PM

Here in PA, it's do me 'a solid'. But I'm sure it's different elsewhere where 'yinz' are from. There's a reason why the way that I talk is called Pittsburghese.

Peter_Spaeth
04-24-2016, 06:43 PM
Here in PA, it's do me 'a solid'. But I'm sure it's different elsewhere where 'yinz' are from. There's a reason why the way that I talk is called Pittsburghese.

Jersey guy I know says do me THE solid. I guess both are acceptable.

wilkiebaby11
04-24-2016, 06:50 PM
Jersey guy I know says do me THE solid. I guess both are acceptable.

The origin and etymology of the phrase “do me a solid” is from the popular show Seinfeld, where it was used by Kramer in the episode titled “The Jacket”. You may have also heard the term being used by Hank in the popular show “Breaking Bad”. (copied from google)

I think that this one is just behind the big Pop vs Soda debate, which if it has the same geographical fault line, is right smack dab in the middle of PA.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2012-11-09-Screenshot20121109at3.05.00PM.png

Are we enough off topic now to lock down this thread?

frankbmd
04-24-2016, 07:03 PM

What do I know? At some point there was an indication above my post that the card sold for $75.:eek:

I don't believe I have ever dealt with either party and did not take sides.

Carry on, while I check the expiration date on my degree in mathematics.

swarmee
04-24-2016, 07:06 PM
I didn't even look at the card before buying, just figured I should set a record on VCP. Never done that before. But since I don't subscribe to VCP, I guess I don't know if I did in the past... thanks for letting me get a cool card that I hear is a PSA 6 and well-centered.

Peter_Spaeth
04-24-2016, 07:10 PM
What do I know? At some point there was an indication above my post that the card sold for $75.:eek:

I don't believe I have ever dealt with either party and did not take sides.

Carry on, while I check the expiration date on my degree in mathematics.

Two teams tied, 29-29. Who won? :D

bobbyw8469
04-24-2016, 07:36 PM
I dont know where the $9 or $8 are coming from. I wanted to snipe it at $66, VCP was $68 at the time. The card ended at $114 with me as the winner. I'm no mathematician, actually yes I am, but the difference is $48. I felt that it was significant enough, given the card, that I could at least ask Robert for the favor. I thought it wouldn't hurt. (Boy, was I 100% wrong. Proof through this ongoing thread)

I feel like a broken record. VCP should be thrown out the window on this card!! You want the card for $66? I can sell you one that is centered 95/5. You got a sliver of white on the left hand side. That is your $66 card. The cards that are even REMOTELY centered (58/42 or better), ARE NOT selling for VCP average!!!! VCP average can get a lot of people in trouble. If a card looks 2 grades nicer than the grade, are you still gonna be hung up on VCP average??? I hope you do, because that allows me to win a super looking card for a song!

DBesse27
04-24-2016, 07:38 PM
Most importantly, why is that stupid Incredible Hulk graphic next to my name now?!?

bobbyw8469
04-24-2016, 07:40 PM
Most importantly, why is that stupid Incredible Hulk graphic next to my name now?!?

Ahhhh..the troll from the PSA boards.....welcome....life would be so incomplete without your two cents.

ksabet
04-24-2016, 07:41 PM
Madness, IMHO.

This made me laugh

04-24-2016, 07:41 PM
Seeing that soda map might have made all of this worth it. :D

wilkiebaby11
04-24-2016, 07:50 PM
I feel like a broken record. VCP should be thrown out the window on this card!! You want the card for $66? I can sell you one that is centered 95/5. You got a sliver of white on the left hand side. That is your $66 card. The cards that are even REMOTELY centered (58/42 or better), ARE NOT selling for VCP average!!!! VCP average can get a lot of people in trouble. If a card looks 2 grades nicer than the grade, are you still gonna be hung up on VCP average??? I hope you do, because that allows me to win a super looking card for a song!

Robert,
I completely agree. :D A card is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. You had the card up as a BIN and nobody bought it at $90. Intuition would tell me then that is would sell at auction for... A) more than $90 or B) less than $90? By just that, $66 seems more reasonable of an outcome than $114.

So there are obviously a lot of factors that go into the selling price of a card. I was hoping to get lucky. Nobody wanted it at $90, so I was hoping the maybe $66 would do it. Go figure that the card then goes for $114.

DBesse27
04-24-2016, 07:51 PM
Ahhhh..the troll from the PSA boards.....welcome....life would be so incomplete without your two cents.

Wait a minute, that makes me a troll? I thought it was a legitimate question. I leave Net54 for a few days, I come back, and now I've got that graphic next to my name. I don't know how it got there, nor how to get rid of it. If anybody (Leon?) knows how to get rid of it, please pm me. Thanks!

Edit: wait, now it's gone. Maybe it was my phone? Has anybody else experienced this??

wilkiebaby11
04-24-2016, 07:53 PM
VCP should be thrown out the window on this card!! You want the card for $66? I can sell you one that is centered 95/5. You got a sliver of white on the left hand side. That is your $66 card.

Actually no, you can't sell me a $66 PSA 6 with 95/5 centering. PSA standards wouldn't allow such a card in a 6, technically speaking, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Peter_Spaeth
04-24-2016, 07:53 PM
Seeing that soda map might have made all of this worth it. :D

In Boston, sodas are (or were anyhow) called tonics.

bobbyw8469
04-24-2016, 08:01 PM
Look at completed listings for 1961 Juan Marichal PSA 6's. This would be a fun project because APPARENTLY not everyone here is a seasoned collector. Don't even bother looking at VCP. Look at the completed history one's currently on Ebay. The ones that are selling for $66 and under - what do they have in common?? Shoot, there was even a couple of $80's that fit that same criteria, but those were BIN's by some patient sellers (maybe even 707, who knows). Now look at the ones that sold for $90 and up. What common theme do they have????

I'm speaking tongue in cheek of course, but with some half truth thrown in. Get off the Juan Marichal. Look at Bob Gibson's rookie if that will help. Anytime you see a lower graded card sell for more than a higher graded card, or hell, even cards within the same grade, CENTERING is what makes the price difference!

It is not even my favorite quality of a card, but to the MAJORITY of collectors, CENTERING is boss! I'm sorry you felt like you got cheated according to VCP average. I am just explaining why you can throw VCP average out for certain cards. Carry on.....

bobbyw8469
04-24-2016, 08:03 PM
Here is current one running you should be able to win for your price range....seriously....good luck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JUAN-MARICHAL-1961-61-TOPPS-417-RC-ROOKIE-CARD-SAN-FRANCISCO-GIANTS-PSA-6-EX-MT-/291743896385?hash=item43ed4a9341:g:dVsAAOSwKfVXF-Lf

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/dVsAAOSwKfVXF-Lf/s-l1600.jpg

wilkiebaby11
04-24-2016, 08:11 PM
Look at completed listings for 1961 Juan Marichal PSA 6's. This would be a fun project because APPARENTLY not everyone here is a seasoned collector. Don't even bother looking at VCP. Look at the completed history one's currently on Ebay. The ones that are selling for $66 and under - what do they have in common?? Shoot, there was even a couple of $80's that fit that same criteria, but those were BIN's by some patient sellers (maybe even 707, who knows). Now look at the ones that sold for $90 and up. What common theme do they have????

I'm speaking tongue in cheek of course, but with some half truth thrown in. Get off the Juan Marichal. Look at Bob Gibson's rookie if that will help. Anytime you see a lower graded card sell for more than a higher graded card, or hell, even cards within the same grade, CENTERING is what makes the price difference!

It is not even my favorite quality of a card, but to the MAJORITY of collectors, CENTERING is boss! I'm sorry you felt like you got cheated according to VCP average. I am just explaining why you can throw VCP average out for certain cards. Carry on.....

Again... I completely agree... You keep missing my point because you are infatuated with 'throwing VCP out the door'.

Let's go ahead and throw VCP out the door!!!!!!!! Now we are the same side! Yay! Here's the scenerio then:
Your card doesn't sell for $90 as BIN. Would it then not make sense that card would then sell for less than $90?? Let's make that strong assumption. So any price under $90 seems that it could win.
$89 could win and seems more likely than $91.
$88 could win and seems more likely than $92.
$87 could win and seems more likely than $93.
continue doing this....
$66 could win and seems more likely than $114.

Wow!!! I love when math works out... PERFECTLY!!!!!!!!

There are other assumptions in play like sale prices being normally distributed and the residual of errors assumptions, but no need to dive into that.

wilkiebaby11
04-24-2016, 08:12 PM
Here is current one running you should be able to win for your price range....seriously....good luck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JUAN-MARICHAL-1961-61-TOPPS-417-RC-ROOKIE-CARD-SAN-FRANCISCO-GIANTS-PSA-6-EX-MT-/291743896385?hash=item43ed4a9341:g:dVsAAOSwKfVXF-Lf

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/dVsAAOSwKfVXF-Lf/s-l1600.jpg

To use your words... not mine: "APPARENTLY not everyone here is a seasoned collector." because that is, by definition, not 95/5 centering.

vintagetoppsguy
04-24-2016, 09:53 PM
You keep missing my point...

Steve, you missed my point too, or perhaps you didn't see my post. There was still an under bidder in this auction that was willing to pay up to $111.50.

How do you overlook that point?

Edited for clarification. They say something is worth only what someone is willing to pay for it. In this case, the card is worth $111.50 because that is what the under bidder was willing to pay for it.

Mikehealer
04-24-2016, 10:47 PM

Turn.er E.ngle

Nice

bobbyw8469
04-25-2016, 03:42 AM
Steve, you missed my point too, or perhaps you didn't see my post. There was still an under bidder in this auction that was willing to pay up to $111.50.

How do you overlook that point?

Edited for clarification. They say something is worth only what someone is willing to pay for it. In this case, the card is worth $111.50 because that is what the under bidder was willing to pay for it.

Exactly David. Other people do a much better job at explaining things than me. It seems like they see my name, and they automatically see red. I could post what a fine woman Mother Theresa was, and some members on here would be furious!

The whole auction was ruined because Steve got so hung up on VCP average and his wish not to pay a huge multiple over average. There are actually about 4 bidders willing to pay over VCP average due to the semi decent centering on a card that is notoriously off centered. I would like to give a sincere thanks to Swarmee for purchasing the card, apparently sight unseen. I hope he isn't disappointed.

tschock
04-25-2016, 08:51 AM
As a seller, one is either holding to the tenet of 'a sale is a sale' or is allowing for some wiggle room based on circumstances. It seems as if the seller is holding to the former and simply trying to clarify (justify?) his position with subsequent statements about the sale. The seller is perfectly within his rights to do so.

Now if you allow for wiggle room, the first question in my mind would be "Did the buyer make and honest mistake or is it just a case of buyer's remorse?" If it was an honest mistake, I personally would let it slide (but that's just me). In this case it would seem reasonable (again, to me) that a $666 snipe on a card that never sold over $100 in the past would tend toward the side of 'mistake' rather than 'remorse'.

bobbyw8469
04-25-2016, 09:00 AM
As a seller, one is either holding to the tenet of 'a sale is a sale' or is allowing for some wiggle room based on circumstances. It seems as if the seller is holding to the former and simply trying to clarify (justify?) his position with subsequent statements about the sale. The seller is perfectly within his rights to do so.

Now if you allow for wiggle room, the first question in my mind would be "Did the buyer make and honest mistake or is it just a case of buyer's remorse?" If it was an honest mistake, I personally would let it slide (but that's just me). In this case it would seem reasonable (again, to me) that a $666 snipe on a card that never sold over $100 in the past would tend toward the side of 'mistake' rather than 'remorse'.

The card HAS sold over $100. If he made a sniping error, why didn't he correct it, or cancel the snipe? You have up until 3 minutes until the auction closes to do so.

scooter729
04-25-2016, 09:10 AM
Two teams tied, 29-29. Who won? :D

Any Harvard person worth a lick knows that it was obviously the Crimson who won!

DBesse27
04-25-2016, 09:10 AM
The card HAS sold over $100. If he made a sniping error, why didn't he correct it, or cancel the snipe? You have up until 3 minutes until the auction closes to do so.

Bobbi, Steve already explained that he DIDN'T REALIZE he typed in the wrong snipe. How, then, can he be expected to fix it before the auction ends? Do you often correct mistakes you don't know you've made?

You are right that he committed to buying it and you would have been well within your rights to force the sale. But stick to those facts. That's your strongest argument. When you say silly things like that he should have corrected his snipe, you just hurt your other, more valid points. Steve says he didn't realize there was a typo in the snipe.

tschock
04-25-2016, 09:16 AM

Asked, and answered. And very reasonable, IMO. I usually 'set and forget' my snipes as well, and HAVE made mistakes when I'm setting a bunch at one time. Now generally I will review (and correct) those when I am done setting them, and maybe the OP should have double-checked when he set them as well. But I don't usually monitor them once they've been set and many times, have no idea when the auction has ended until I get that little 'dink dink' on my phone.

Sorry if I misunderstood that it HAD sold for over $100. What was the high sale price (ballpark sale price is fine)? $200? $500? That price would influence my view on his 'mistake'.

I'm just confused why you are assuming some nefarious excuse by the buyer. Maybe it's 'once bitten, twice shy'? Or just our different outlooks?

bobbyw8469
04-25-2016, 09:21 AM
Sorry if I misunderstood that it HAD sold for over $100. What was the high sale price (ballpark sale price is fine)? $200? $500? That price would influence my view on his 'mistake'.

The high before mine was $105. I had an underbidder bid $111.50

tschock
04-25-2016, 09:24 AM
You are right that he committed to buying it and you would have been well within your rights to force the sale. But stick to those facts. That's your strongest argument. When you say silly things like that he should have corrected his snipe, you just hurt your other, more valid points. Steve says he didn't realize there was a typo in the snipe.

These are the kinds of things I notice as well, but it's just my 'logical dominant' side though, I assume.

tschock
04-25-2016, 09:28 AM
The high before mine was $105. I had an underbidder bid $111.50

Ahhhh... that is SO much closer to $666 than I realized. :rolleyes:

bobbyw8469
04-25-2016, 09:59 AM
Ahhhh... that is SO much closer to $666 than I realized. :rolleyes:

Exactly!!! It was nowhere near his "monumental" snipe. It was actually closer in line to where it should sell for. If he doesn't bid, the underbidder wins it for $102.50. Not the record high, but it would have sold over $100 as well. The card market is heating up. It trips me out when people quote "VCP averages" like that is written in stone! I am sorry, but for certain key rookies, especially centered key rookies, you can throw VCP out the window. The card market is the hottest thing going now, and new players don't give a damn about VCP average!

vintagetoppsguy
04-25-2016, 10:02 AM
Bobby sold the card to another board member.

Situation over.

Do you guys really still have to continue to be aholes?

tschock
04-25-2016, 10:09 AM
Exactly!!! It was nowhere near his "monumental" snipe. It was actually closer in line to where it should sell for. If he doesn't bid, the underbidder wins it for $102.50. Not the record high, but it would have sold over $100 as well. The card market is heating up. It trips me out when people quote "VCP averages" like that is written in stone! I am sorry, but for certain key rookies, especially centered key rookies, you can throw VCP out the window. The card market is the hottest thing going now, and new players don't give a damn about VCP average!

Understood. But we're using this price for 2 different reasons. Mine was to point out that the $666 snipe bid was a mistake. Yours to indicate that it affected the (possible) sale price of the card.

You also keep insisting that if it wasn't intentional, then why didn't Steve change it before the snipe kicked in. Based on the sale prices and what it WOULD have sold for to the under bidder in your auction, are you STILL claiming that the $666 snipe bid was intentional?

If you still claim it was intentional, then I can't help you with that. But if you can admit it was a mistake on the buyer's part, then all that remains is what you do with the seller since he made a mistake.

bobbyw8469
04-25-2016, 10:18 AM
are you STILL claiming that the $666 snipe bid was intentional?

I have no idea if that is true or not. His snipe might have only been $130. Anyone can claim anything. I just know what I saw and how it affected me.

Let's give the Marichal a rest guys....like David says....another board member bought the card. Everyone should be happy. The card market is the hottest it has been in years!! Everyone bask in the sun while the clouds are at bay (while we can).

ullmandds
04-25-2016, 10:20 AM
gee...this is one of the most exciting threads to come about in a while...selling non vintage cards on the front page. wow, Leon...perhaps you should have sold the board when value was high!

DBesse27
04-25-2016, 10:26 AM
gee...this is one of the most exciting threads to come about in a while...selling non vintage cards on the front page. wow, Leon...perhaps you should have sold the board when value was high!

Pete, I have tons of respect for you, and I understand why you'd be annoyed this is in the pre war section. But are you really calling 61 Topps "non vintage"? Just clarifying, because I've always thought the early 60s were vintage

tschock
04-25-2016, 10:29 AM
I have no idea if that is true or not. His snipe might have only been $130. Anyone can claim anything. I just know what I saw and how it affected me.

Let's give the Marichal a rest guys....like David says....another board member bought the card. Everyone should be happy. The card market is the hottest it has been in years!! Everyone bask in the sun while the clouds are at bay (while we can).

A screenshot should have sufficed, as I don't think you can change the snipe after the auction is closed. I know I can't change it after the auction is closed on what I use.

Done here. And my sincere apologies for forcing anyone to read this thread who didn't want to. :rolleyes:

Peter_Spaeth
04-25-2016, 10:33 AM
This is the thread that never ends, and it goes on and on my friend.

ullmandds
04-25-2016, 10:33 AM
Pete, I have tons of respect for you, and I understand why you'd be annoyed this is in the pre war section. But are you really calling 61 Topps "non vintage"? Just clarifying, because I've always thought the early 60s were vintage

sorry I misspoke...sure I'll call early 60's vintage...seeing as technically 2014 cards are vintage too.

my point being this is the pre war side of the board...where typically pre wwII cards are discussed...as well as sales not being allowed. SO..this "discussion"/sale should not be here. This is my point.

ullmandds
04-25-2016, 10:34 AM
[QUOTE=Peter_Spaeth;1531619]This is the thread that never ends, and it goes on and on my friend.[/QUOT

and seriously...lambchop?????? now this thread really needs to be moved/closed down!

Peter_Spaeth
04-25-2016, 10:37 AM
[QUOTE=Peter_Spaeth;1531619]This is the thread that never ends, and it goes on and on my friend.[/QUOT

and seriously...lambchop?????? now this thread really needs to be moved/closed down!

Yep. It's similar to the Hitler rule, but kinder and gentler.

bobbyw8469
04-25-2016, 10:38 AM

With this much excitement, do I really want to get out of Dodge now???? I think everyone convinced me to stay!

TNP777
04-25-2016, 11:01 AM
[QUOTE=ullmandds;1531622]

With this much excitement, do I really want to get out of Dodge now???? I think everyone convinced me to stay!
Which was your play all along. Start a "look at me" thread (on the wrong board, but then you wouldn't have gotten the attention you craved), have something blow up in your face, play the victim, extol your cards as amazing examples for the grade and therefore worthy of lofty prices, attack those who disagree with you, play the victim some more, interpret any possible comment as vindication of your view of events, and then stick around like nothing happened.

I'll save you the time now...

signed,
another troll from CU

bobbyw8469
04-25-2016, 11:11 AM
[QUOTE=bobbyw8469;1531625]
Which was your play all along. Start a "look at me" thread (on the wrong board, but then you wouldn't have gotten the attention you craved), have something blow up in your face, play the victim, extol your cards as amazing examples for the grade and therefore worthy of lofty prices, attack those who disagree with you, play the victim some more, interpret any possible comment as vindication of your view of events, and then stick around like nothing happened.

signed,
another troll from CU

Nope...and yes...you are a troll.....Im glad you admit it. Cause everyone else already knows.

bnorth
04-25-2016, 11:11 AM
[QUOTE=bobbyw8469;1531625]

signed,
another troll from CU

+1 Have to give him props for getting away with putting a for sale thread in the prewar section selling postwar and modern cards though.

He should be working for PSA in their advertising department with those skills.

wilkiebaby11
04-25-2016, 11:12 AM

I was hoping this thread would die...

Robert,
Snipes are meant to NOT watch the item until the end. If I were watching it, I would have just bid on it. You set a snipe, then hope it wins, without you being there. It's automated for a reason, so that I dont have to be there in person. That's pretty much the definition of a snipe, so I continue to be baffled why you can't understand this concept and feel that I should have been watching this item until it's auction end. When I got the email that I had won a PSA 6 Marichal for $114, I knew something was wrong and messaged you immediately.
Had I seen the incorrect snipe, I WOULD HAVE CHANGED IT. And like I said before, not all sniping services have the same time deadline. GavelSnipe, for instance, wont let you make changes within 10 minutes of the auctions end.

I'll say it again... Had I seen the incorrect snipe, I WOULD HAVE CHANGED IT. I obviously didnt. Yes, I ruined your auction, and I have apologized. All that I asked from you, when I privately messaged you, was for some sort of empathy for my situation and mistake. You didnt have to obliged (and you didnt).

Up until this point, I was in the wrong. I have never denied that. After that though, making this small private matter into a big public display, was all on you. At that point, you were in the wrong.

But two wrongs obviously dont make a right... and here we are.

Everyone else,
Can we kill this thread yet?

ullmandds
04-25-2016, 11:13 AM
[QUOTE=TNP777;1531634]

+1 Have to give him props for getting away with putting a for sale thread in the prewar section selling postwar and modern cards though.

He should be working for PSA in their advertising department with those skills.

totally!

bobbyw8469
04-25-2016, 11:16 AM
[QUOTE=bnorth;1531638]

totally!

Nope...Im leaving. Sold my personal collection. That should tell you something. Still selling stuff. If I took a picture of all the crap I accumulated after years of being in the hobby, it would blow your mind (or maybe not....maybe everyone else is a hoarder like me). It would take me literally a year or more just to unload everything, and that is working everyday, 7 days a week. I will miss some people in here. The assholes (you know who you are) not so much.

wilkiebaby11
04-25-2016, 12:09 PM
rescinding this post, just so this thing can die. It was a screen grab of my snipe, but it really doesn't bring any resolution to all of this, so I'm removing it. :D

Peter_Spaeth
04-25-2016, 12:35 PM
Any Harvard person worth a lick knows that it was obviously the Crimson who won!

And any Yale person worth a lick (including the now-ancient Dr. Frank B from that very 1968 class) knows that Yale lost. :D The headline from which the documentary takes its title is, IMO, right up there with some of the classics such as "Reds' Brezh Dead."

pawpawdiv9
04-25-2016, 01:28 PM
The origin and etymology of the phrase “do me a solid” is from the popular show Seinfeld, where it was used by Kramer in the episode titled “The Jacket”. You may have also heard the term being used by Hank in the popular show “Breaking Bad”. (copied from google)

I think that this one is just behind the big Pop vs Soda debate, which if it has the same geographical fault line, is right smack dab in the middle of PA.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2012-11-09-Screenshot20121109at3.05.00PM.png

Are we enough off topic now to lock down this thread?

I was hoping for a POLL. See how many of us drink Coke vs Pepsi??
or much like the Mtn Dew one: Baja Blast or Pitch Black
I sure could use a cold one right now, my dog too!

frankbmd
04-25-2016, 02:26 PM
And any Yale person worth a lick (including the now-ancient Dr. Frank B from that very 1968 class) knows that Yale lost. :D The headline from which the documentary takes its title is, IMO, right up there with some of the classics such as "Reds' Brezh Dead."

If the best you have to offer is celebrating a 48 year old tie, more power to you.

It would also be more accurate to note that this game was played in the fall of 1968 by the class of 1969 that graduated the following Spring.;)

One of my friends at the game met a lad from Harvard in the rest room. After finishing their business the lad from Harvard went to sink and washed his hands. The Yalie headed for the door. The lad from Harvard commented "at Harvard we are taught to wash our hands after using the rest room."

To wit the Yalie responded "at Yale we are taught not to pee on our hands.":p

bobbyw8469
04-25-2016, 02:43 PM
ROTFLMAO!!! Touche!

Peter_Spaeth
04-25-2016, 03:03 PM
If the best you have to offer is celebrating a 48 year old tie, more power to you.

It would also be more accurate to note that this game was played in the fall of 1968 by the class of 1969 that graduated the following Spring.;)

One of my friends at the game met a lad from Harvard in the rest room. After finishing their business the lad from Harvard went to sink and washed his hands. The Yalie headed for the door. The lad from Harvard commented "at Harvard we are taught to wash our hands after using the rest room."

To wit the Yalie responded "at Yale we are taught not to pee on our hands.":p

Bow wow wow or whatever that purported fight song is.

1952boyntoncollector
04-25-2016, 06:04 PM

right..hes good at math but terrible at sniping

begsu1013
04-25-2016, 06:09 PM
has anyone asked when this "break" is actually taking place?

wilkiebaby11
04-25-2016, 06:30 PM

Thankfully, I don't even have to have a well thought out rebuttal to your post since it's logic is somewhat flawed, but mostly because your reputation precedes you. Carry on.

Peter_Spaeth
04-25-2016, 06:33 PM

He made ONE MISTAKE. Good grief.

1952boyntoncollector
04-25-2016, 06:34 PM
Thankfully, I don't even have to have a well thought out rebuttal to your post since it's logic is somewhat flawed, but mostly because your reputation precedes you. Carry on.

I think you are the one building a reputation ..i never been accused of trying to alter a committed sale or anything negative ever about the actual transaction of buying and selling a card..(or 50+ posts on the topic where i have to defend a failed transaction)

Arguing about the merits of hitting for a cycle is one thing, being accused of unfair dealings in buying cards is another...and yes i know you would of bought the card, but trying to alter the deal over 10-20 bucks can go against a reputation.

I guess my logic is flawed and you are great at sniping and never make mistakes, sorry for my misunderstanding....

Peter_Spaeth
04-25-2016, 06:36 PM
I think you are the one building a reputation ..i never been accused of trying to alter a committed sale or anything negative ever about the actual transaction of buying and selling a card.. I guess my logic is flawed and you are great at sniping, sorry for my misunderstanding....

And he would have completed the transaction had Bob not agreed to cancel it, I am sure. He did nothing wrong asking Bob if he would make an accommodation given that his bid was a mistake.

1952boyntoncollector
04-25-2016, 06:42 PM
And he would have completed the transaction had Bob not agreed to cancel it, I am sure. He did nothing wrong asking Bob if he would make an accommodation given that his bid was a mistake.

How was his bid a mistake, he said my logic was flawed that he was bad in sniping(meaning his is great at it) Also i think bobby would dispute that he was going to pay timely...

I do agree its not a big deal, but my comment wasnt a big deal and he chose to bring up 'reputation', I not sure that was the right route for him to go with my comment....'he is good at math but bad at sniping' not sure how that was worth his wierd post.

wilkiebaby11
04-25-2016, 06:48 PM
Arguing about the merits of hitting for a cycle is one thing, being accused of unfair dealings in buying cards is another...and yes i know you would of bought the card, but trying to alter the deal over 10-20 bucks can go against a reputation.

I guess my logic is flawed and you are great at sniping and never make mistakes, sorry for my misunderstanding....

I made a mistake. I owned up to it. I asked for a possibilty of understanding, from one collector/net54 member to another. "Altering" the auction implies that I did it on purpose. That is not true. I only asked for empathy. I didnt get it, so I moved on... But wait.... there's now a post about me, and another from members asking what was going on. Drama then incurs.

Now I am just trying to defend myself, not the transaction. I think that most people would give me the benefit of the doubt. I explained myself well, I haven't ever done this before and I am not a nuisance at all on these boards. Pretty sure Robert is the first person that I've ever upset on here. And our transaction should have stayed private. As I thought me asking of a favor was harmless as the end result would have been either a) Bobby tells me to 'pound sand' and I pay for the item or b) Bobby does me "a solid" ;) and helps me out. Was going to be a) until all of this drama.

Hopefully this post isn't "weird".

1952boyntoncollector
04-25-2016, 06:52 PM
I made a mistake. I owned up to it. I asked for a possibilty of understanding, from one collector/net54 member to another. "Altering" the auction implies that I did it on purpose. That is not true. I only asked for empathy. I didnt get it, so I moved on... But wait.... there's now a post about me, and another from members asking what was going on. Drama then incurs.

Now I am just trying to defend myself, not the transaction. I think that most people would give me the benefit of the doubt. I explained myself well, I haven't ever done this before and I am not a nuisance at all on these boards. Pretty sure Robert is the first person that I've ever upset on here. And our transgression should have stayed private. As I thought me asking of a favor was harmless as the end result would have been either a) Bobby tells me to 'pound sand' and I pay for the item or b) Bobby does me "a solid" ;) and helps me out. Was going to be a) until all of this drama.

nah this post is fine..glad no argument about paying a decent chunk more than VCP means has to be a mistake on a card thats hard to find centered which is centered...

i have had back and forths with robert as well..but you can see now that people jump in on threads no matter of what actually is presented on the thread..now you got a little taste.....

Peter_Spaeth
04-25-2016, 06:55 PM

Now I am just trying to defend myself, not the transaction. I think that most people would give me the benefit of the doubt. I explained myself well, I haven't ever done this before and I am not a nuisance at all on these boards. Pretty sure Robert is the first person that I've ever upset on here. And our transgression should have stayed private. As I thought me asking of a favor was harmless as the end result would have been either a) Bobby tells me to 'pound sand' and I pay for the item or b) Bobby does me "a solid" ;) and helps me out. Was going to be a) until all of this drama.

LOL you mean our transaction, not our transgression, I presume.

wilkiebaby11
04-25-2016, 07:04 PM
LOL you mean our transaction, not our transgression, I presume.

Yes... haha. Just let be be a stereotypical math nerd and have incorrect grammar! :cool:

At least I was write, I mean right, on the "do me a solid" idiom. :p

kailes2872
04-25-2016, 07:08 PM
Late to the party but count me among those who speak on Steve's behalf. He has been a tremendous help to me in my quest as we have done several deals. He even went so far as to tip me off when a card on my want list was at a fair BIN price - when he could have purchased and put a premium on it and sold it to me. I had a post a couple of years ago because I did almost the identical thing. I put a bid in early and added an extra 0. I asked how to do a bid retraction. What followed was an assault on character. I was more than happy to pay whatever price and "take my medicine" but I feared getting shilled to ridiculous amounts. If we could just trust the process, things would work out and we would be fine - but with all of the ugly stuff in the hobby people tend to be on edge and assume the worst in folks.

I think Bobby is a great guy as well. He has sold me great material and we were going to partner on an REA lot last year if we got our price. Having dealt with both parties, I believe that positive intent was there. Sometimes fingers get fat. I am not sure why Bobby is exiting the hobby for a while, but perhaps every dollar sold really matters and it is an emotional time. Maybe everything is cool and he just wants to liquidate - I obviously don't know and don't want to presume - but I guess point being that the payment timing and amount of the sale could carry extra significance. All I know is that I come to this board to learn from the best, to chat with folks who love the same stuff that I do - because I normally get blank stares when I talk about it, and I occasionally get good deals. This high tension stuff is what I deal with in the normal crazy work day. Net54 is my escape. All in all, a bummer situation between two fantastic, honorable guys that has been remedied. I will now go look lovingly at my SGC80 '61 Marichal that is a tad OC and wish that it was a centered PSA6 because they now go for over 100 bucks!! ;)

bobbyw8469
04-25-2016, 07:24 PM
I will now go look lovingly at my SGC80 '61 Marichal that is a tad OC and wish that it was a centered PSA6 because they now go for over 100 bucks!!

Thank you for your kind words!! Why stop at the SGC 6 Marichal (don't get me started on the SGC vs PSA price disparities)? Go ahead and pull out that PSA 7 Joe Namath rookie card that will soon be over $10,000!

An unfortunate situation indeed. VCP is both a blessing and a curse. It is the best thing going though, compared to SMR and Beckett, for the baseball card market. Just not a be all that ends all.

wilkiebaby11
04-25-2016, 07:28 PM
Thank you for your kind words!! Why stop at the SGC 6 Marichal (don't get me started on the SGC vs PSA price disparities)? Go ahead and pull out that PSA 7 Joe Namath rookie card that will soon be over $10,000!

An unfortunate situation indeed. VCP is both a blessing and a curse. It is the best thing going though, compared to SMR and Beckett, for the baseball card market. Just not a be all that ends all.

Gonna second Bobby on thanks for the kind words. Unfortunate situation between us. It's done though, so that's a relief.

Rich Klein
04-26-2016, 07:06 AM
Of course, there is always the option of actually making a bid during the auction instead of sniping. If he had done that, he would have had plenty of time to realize he made a mistake and fixed his incorrect bid

Rich

bobbyw8469
04-26-2016, 09:19 AM
Of course, there is always the option of actually making a bid during the auction instead of sniping. If he had done that, he would have had plenty of time to realize he made a mistake and fixed his incorrect bid

Rich

LOL!! Bidding? What do you think Ebay is? An auction house?? (kidding of course)

Peter_Spaeth
04-26-2016, 09:22 AM

Rich

There is ZERO reason to bid on a card in the course of an ebay auction.

Cozumeleno
04-26-2016, 09:31 AM
There is ZERO reason to bid on a card in the course of an ebay auction.

While I agree with this for the most part (so much so that I hardly ever bid myself until the last minute or via snipe), snipes are not 100% locks. I've never had a problem with one but know that several here have had issues when their site (i.e. Gavelsnipe) has occasional glitches.

If I were bidding on an item that rarely came around and I couldn't be available to place a late bid, I might consider placing an earlier bid. But agree with you for the most part in that bidding early is unnecessary most of the time.

Peter_Spaeth
04-26-2016, 09:36 AM
While I agree with this for the most part (so much so that I hardly ever bid myself until the last minute or via snipe), snipes are not 100% locks. I've never had a problem with one but know that several here have had issues when their site (i.e. Gavelsnipe) has occasional glitches.

If I were bidding on an item that rarely came around and I couldn't be available to place a late bid, I might consider placing an earlier bid. But agree with you for the most part in that bidding early is unnecessary most of the time.

I have never had an issue with justsnipe.

wilkiebaby11
04-26-2016, 09:36 AM

It's unfortunately how eBay is. I used to not snipe and I never won items if I bid too early, or I missed them completely if I couldnt get to my computer in time.

If eBay disabled the ability to snipe bids (if they even can is another story), then everyone would be on an even playing field. But I strongly feel that those that snipe (and do it correctly, doh!) are at an advantage.

If you can't beat, join them.

Cozumeleno
04-26-2016, 09:41 AM
I have never had an issue with justsnipe.

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me - 99.99% of the time I don't think it's an issue. And I never had one with Gavelsnipe, either, which is why I continue to go that route. But I do know that Gavelsnipe has had outages and members here have on occasion had a problem.

To me, I'm willing to take the chance that I won't have a problem and most of the stuff I'm pursuing isn't generally all that rare. But if I were watching a very tough item and knew I couldn't be around to place a late bid, I might be inclined to bid early.

Cozumeleno
04-26-2016, 09:44 AM
It's unfortunately how eBay is. I used to not snipe and I never won items if I bid too early, or I missed them completely if I couldnt get to my computer in time.

If eBay disabled the ability to snipe bids (if they even can is another story), then everyone would be on an even playing field. But I strongly feel that those that snipe (and do it correctly, doh!) are at an advantage.

If you can't beat, join them.

I've found it's essential for me since I have a short attention span. :)

I cannot begin to tell you the number of times I've gotten the 15-minute heads up from eBay's app when an item I'm watching is ending soon and forgotten about it and missed out, anyway. It got to a point where it was happening so frequently that I had to go the snipe route. If eBay ended it somehow and I were forced to bid earlier, I'd have no problems with that. But until then, it's a lifesaver for me.