PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs

cool-vintage
04-11-2016, 09:21 AM
The playoffs begin this week, so I decided to make a thread for discussion on any series or the playoffs in general.

As I Blues fan I would like to see them make it past the first round.

vintagewhitesox
04-11-2016, 10:05 AM

vintagewhitesox
04-11-2016, 10:05 AM
Josh,

best of luck. I'll be at game 3. Blues have had success against the Hawks this season, and with a depleted defensive core, I am concerned about the series.

In the other series, I'm excited for Union College alum Shayne Gostisbehre's first playoff run. The Ghost Bear is the reason the Flyers are in the playoffs.

Best of luck! Let's keep this thread alive for at least the nextweek :)

TUM301
04-11-2016, 11:35 AM
As a Boston Bruins fan, can be summed up in one famous Jim Mora quote. " " !

cool-vintage
04-11-2016, 02:19 PM
I did some research and found out this is the second time no Canadian teams made the playoffs. (The first time was in 1969-70.)

quinnsryche
04-11-2016, 04:28 PM
The playoffs begin this week, so I decided to make a thread for discussion on any series or the playoffs in general.

As a Blackhawks fans I would not. :p

RTK
04-11-2016, 07:39 PM
As a Blackhawks fans I would not. :p

I second that.

sycks22
04-11-2016, 07:49 PM
Don't sleep on my Wild

Tom S.
04-11-2016, 07:53 PM
I second that.

I'm with them... :D

cool-vintage
04-11-2016, 08:29 PM
I'm with them... :D

So...I guess I'm outnumbered. Oh well just more people to trash talk (if the Blues can somehow win.):rolleyes:

Prof_Plum
04-12-2016, 06:52 AM
Add in another Blackhawks fan.... My unsubstantiated 'fear' is that because the Cubs knocked the Cardinals out of the playoffs last year, that it's St. Louis' turn to knock a Chicago team out.

Iwantmorecards77
04-12-2016, 09:59 AM
Go Brooklyn!

LGI

ALR-bishop
04-12-2016, 10:08 AM
As a St Louis fan in general I fully expect the Blues to bow out in the first round...again :). Plus I would not want to see Josh sad

cool-vintage
04-12-2016, 10:13 AM
As a St Louis fan in general I fully expect the Blues to bow out in the first round...again :). Plus I would not want to see Josh sad

I'm also expecting a first round exit, but MAYBE this is actually their year.

irv
04-12-2016, 05:49 PM

They are in tough, but Chicago is not the same team as last year.

I think Chicago will still get past them, but I think the Blues have a chance.

I like L.A.'s chances again this year, but imo, they will either exit early or go all the way.

I see a L.A./Washington Stanley Cup with L.A. prevailing, or a Chicago/Washington SC with Chicago prevailing.

With the above being said however, this is one of the toughest years I have had picking who gets by who.

cool-vintage
04-13-2016, 01:32 PM
Playoffs start tonight with 3 games:
DET vs TB
NYR vs PIT
CHI vs STL

Full Schedule :https://www.nhl.com/stanley-cup-playoffs

vintagewhitesox
04-13-2016, 02:30 PM

But I don't want to see you sad either my friend

maybe they tie and neither advance :)

irv
04-14-2016, 05:34 PM
All of my picks lost last night.

Took Detroit, NY, and Chicago.

Hoping for a better night tonight.

Took Washington, L.A. Dallas and Florida.

cool-vintage
04-14-2016, 06:19 PM
All of my picks lost last night.

Took Detroit, NY, and Chicago.

Hoping for a better night tonight.

Took Washington, L.A. Dallas and Florida.
Also who I have winning in round 1. PHI/WSH is the series to watch in the East.

irv
04-14-2016, 07:20 PM
Also who I have winning in round 1. PHI/WSH is the series to watch in the East.

I agree. Philly scares me and Washington has a rep with choking.

In my opinion, an upset isn't out of the question, especially if they dig deep and do it for Snider?

The Panther/Islander's game is pretty good. Back and forth so far.

cool-vintage
04-14-2016, 10:04 PM
LA/SJ is is going to be a great series as usual. A very physical game and two goals in 40 seconds

vintagewhitesox
04-15-2016, 09:24 PM
That might have been the craziest 3d period I've seen in a long time.

Sunday will be nuts.

vintagewhitesox
04-20-2016, 07:30 AM
I think the Blues have this one wrapped up. Would love to be wrong, but the Hawks can't score 5v5, and are not deep on the blue line.
Credit to Elliot who has played great, and Tarasanko, who has finally come up big when his team needed him. Great player to watch, except when he's torching the hawks :)

ALR-bishop
04-20-2016, 01:03 PM
I have complete confidence the Blues can still lose in the first round. They are experienced and dependable in that regard

Zach Wheat
04-20-2016, 01:44 PM
I'm also expecting a first round exit, but MAYBE this is actually their year.

As a Red Wings fan...barely squeaking into the playoffs....I don't expect the Red Wings to last too long.

Z

Zach Wheat
04-20-2016, 01:45 PM
I have complete confidence the Blues can still lose in the first round. They are experienced and dependable in that regard

Al,

You are becoming more pessimistic than usual.

Z

cool-vintage
04-20-2016, 05:54 PM
Laughton was just taken off the ice on a stretcher after he was checked by Carlson and hit the boards awkwardly.

irv
04-23-2016, 07:22 AM
They are in tough, but Chicago is not the same team as last year.

I think Chicago will still get past them, but I think the Blues have a chance.

I like L.A.'s chances again this year, but imo, they will either exit early or go all the way.

I see a L.A./Washington Stanley Cup with L.A. prevailing, or a Chicago/Washington SC with Chicago prevailing.

With the above being said however, this is one of the toughest years I have had picking who gets by who.

I agree. Philly scares me and Washington has a rep with choking.

In my opinion, an upset isn't out of the question, especially if they dig deep and do it for Snider?

The Panther/Islander's game is pretty good. Back and forth so far.

Well, looks like I am officially out of my pool.

L.A.'s loss last night did it for me as I picked them to go all the way and win Lord Stanley.

I also lost Detroit and my other picks are either currently behind or tied where they should be ahead.

Pitts is doing well and I took NY.
Isle's look like they might get by Florida and of course I took Florida.
Minny won and they are playing strong against Dallas. Can see them now winning this series, especially since Seguin won't be playing.

Philly now has a chance over Washington, they have a lot of confidence and are playing extremely well.

Guess it's time to just sit back and hope my Hawks move on but that is not looking good either.

Like I mentioned, one of the toughest years for picking teams.

Iwantmorecards77
04-24-2016, 10:23 PM
Brooklyn! LGI

vintagewhitesox
04-25-2016, 07:53 AM
Way to go Islanders! Very exciting game.

So the Hawks fought back and forced a game 7. Game 6 was completely insane. This whole series has been nuts.
Very worried that Tarasenko will burn the hawks tonight. They don't seem to have an answer for him. Wonder why Hitch doesn't play him more.

Anything can happen in a Game 7. Looks like I'm not getting any work done today.

vintagewhitesox
04-25-2016, 07:53 AM

So the Hawks fought back and forced a game 7. Game 6 was completely insane. This whole series has been nuts.
Very worried that Tarasenko will burn the hawks tonight. They don't seem to have an answer for him. Wonder why Hitch doesn't play him more.

Anything can happen in a Game 7. Looks like I'm not getting any work done today.

Beatles Guy
04-25-2016, 08:48 AM

They are calling for Hitch's head if the Blues don't win tonight. We are tired of the Blues being the Cubs of hockey.

cool-vintage
04-25-2016, 11:48 AM
I saw an article recently about Tarasenko's ice time.(http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/professional/tarasenko-s-limited-ice-time-continues-to-be-questioned/article_3ce4700f-0e24-5fda-887c-72f9f5bbc558.html)
I said the same thing last year about Hitchcock, but I think this will actually be the year his job is on the line.

Going to be a great game tonight, but history tells me CHI is going to win.

irv
04-25-2016, 05:51 PM
I saw an article recently about Tarasenko's ice time.(http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/professional/tarasenko-s-limited-ice-time-continues-to-be-questioned/article_3ce4700f-0e24-5fda-887c-72f9f5bbc558.html)
I said the same thing last year about Hitchcock, but I think this will actually be the year his job is on the line.

Going to be a great game tonight, but history tells me CHI is going to win.

Here's hoping!

The Tarasenko kerfuffle might actually be a bit of a side/gong show tonight which might allow Chicago to take them easily, but my gut tells me Hitch will cave to Tarasenko's demands and play him more?

I dislike players who show disrespect and what Tarasenko did on the bench the other night was uncalled for. To bad Hitch wasn't in a position to bench him as I certainly would.

The best case scenario would be for Tarasenko to get all the ice he can handle, and then some, and completely blow his opportunity allowing Chicago the win.

That would be sweet justice imo. :D

cool-vintage
04-25-2016, 09:44 PM
I guess I should take back everything I said about the Blues failures to beat the Hawks.

That was one of the best series I've seen.

bbcardzman
04-26-2016, 07:05 AM
Great job Blues on finally knocking off the dreaded Hawks!!!
ON TO DALLAS!!

vintagewhitesox
04-26-2016, 07:43 AM
Great series. Best first rounds in a long long time.
Hawks can't drop 2 at home to a tough St. Louis team and expect to win the series.

Congrats Blues and their fans. On to the next round, best of luck!

ALR-bishop
04-26-2016, 08:43 AM
Very gracious of you Josh.

stlcardsfan
05-03-2016, 12:15 PM
Stars have throttled Tarasenko so far in this series. He needs to step it up tonight! I think the ice time controversy is overblown, here is the most pertinent quote from Hitch:

“When you view a player ... knowledgeable hockey people don’t look at time, they look at shifts, and shifts matter,” Hitchcock said. “He plays a short-ice game with short shifts and that’s impacts his energy. He’s a big body that plays a lot, he gets leaned on, he leans on a lot of people. It’s very wearing.

“The game he plays is a physical game: it’s at the puck, it’s around the puck, it’s one on one and it’s very demanding. He’s not going to be a 48, 49-second hockey player, not and be effective. He’s a guy that has to play in short bursts and that’s what he does. He plays great in short bursts so his energy stays high.”

cool-vintage
05-06-2016, 02:15 PM
The SJ/NSH series is a lot better than I was expecting. That triple OT game last night/this morning was one of the best games so far. I was expecting the Sharks to dominate.

irv
05-06-2016, 02:57 PM
The SJ/NSH series is a lot better than I was expecting. That triple OT game last night/this morning was one of the best games so far. I was expecting the Sharks to dominate.

Same. I thought it would be a 4 straight or 4 to 1 series.

Proud of Cuz getting the tying goal, and I hope they can win the series, but their definitely in tough, but at the same time, SJ has been known to choke before. :rolleyes:

vintagewhitesox
05-12-2016, 01:07 PM
Blues are looking tough. Especially on the back end. Elliot not showing any signs of letting up.
A few goalies having huge playoffs. Murray, Elliot, Jones.
Right now Blues look like they can take the whole thing.

Beatles Guy
05-12-2016, 03:13 PM
Blues are looking tough. Especially on the back end. Elliot not showing any signs of letting up.
A few goalies having huge playoffs. Murray, Elliot, Jones.
Right now Blues look like they can take the whole thing.

Expectations are still low around here. You'd think they won the cup last night.

irv
05-13-2016, 06:21 AM
The 2 teams that won the last 2 nights were expected to win, but no one expected them to go to game 7's.

SJ and St.Louis will be a great series.

I also expect the Pitts and TB series to be as well.

Crap shoot at this point imo who will win Lord Stanley?

vintagewhitesox
05-26-2016, 01:31 PM
tough break for the Blues. Sharks dominated the series. Their defense and goaltending has been lights out.
Pavelski and Thornton finally get to play in a Final.

JRDill
05-26-2016, 02:17 PM
As a die hard Blackhawks fan, I was pleased with last nights Western Conference Finals game!

Now if Tampa Bay can just take care of Pitt tonight....

irv
05-26-2016, 06:00 PM
tough break for the Blues. Sharks dominated the series. Their defense and goaltending has been lights out.
Pavelski and Thornton finally get to play in a Final.

And Marleau. :D

As a die hard Blackhawks fan, I was pleased with last nights Western Conference Finals game!

Now if Tampa Bay can just take care of Pitt tonight....

I hope that's the outcome but I don't see it happening?

Plus, I think a SJ/Pitts Stanley Cup would be a better series?

RollieFingers
05-26-2016, 07:08 PM
It's a complete given that Pitt is winning tonight.
The league has no interest in Finals with 2 unpopular ,unknown teams

JRDill
05-26-2016, 07:39 PM
And Marleau. :D

I hope that's the outcome but I don't see it happening?

Plus, I think a SJ/Pitts Stanley Cup would be a better series?

I think Tampa Bay is a more exciting team, and it would be nice to see a back to back finals appearance.

irv
05-26-2016, 09:04 PM
I think Tampa Bay is a more exciting team, and it would be nice to see a back to back finals appearance.

I don't disagree with that but it looks like a SJ/Pitts Stanley Cup will begin this coming Monday.

I personally think these 2 teams will provide some for great hard hitting hockey!

Hope SJ gets it done. I want to see Joe and Marleau host the cup!:D

JRDill
05-26-2016, 10:30 PM
Yeah that was a great game 7! I think Sharks in 5. Should be an entertaining series!

vintagewhitesox
05-27-2016, 08:37 AM
Go Sharks!

I disagree with the idea that Tampa is not interesting. They would have made it to back to back Finals. Back to back conference championships, withouth their leading scorer, or starting goalie is impressive.

Sharks look tough. Defense is playing great, Jones is hot and Pavelski and Marleau are having great playoffs.

The Final is exciting no matter what. Can't wait for Monday.