PDA

View Full Version : Crapped out on PWCC

Snapolit1
04-09-2016, 07:57 AM
Had about 6 serious bids going and I lost all 6 of them, 5 of them at last minute by one bid increment. I guess use of this sniping software is a lot more prevalent than I assume.

Had they closed at 9 or 10 EST I probably would have kept going. But my days of staying up past midnight for an item are long over. Too many fish in the sea.

All 6 went for more than I wanted to pay anyway, so no crocodile tears here.

MetsBaseball1973
04-09-2016, 08:06 AM
Sometimes we just get flat-out beat by a collector who wants the cards more and/or has more money. It happens.

I don't like the feeling of losing a card I want, either. So I try to make more money and bid higher the next time.

In these situations, I tip my cap to the man who beat me, buck up, and prepare for the next heated contest.

Snapolit1
04-09-2016, 08:08 AM
I loved the Ruth exhibit, PSA 5, but over 3K seemed a little frothy to me.

Next year it well sell for 15 and I'll be kicking myself you know where.

Pilot172000
04-09-2016, 08:13 AM
I spent a little more than I wanted for the one I won and lost out on the one I wanted. Whomever got the Nap Lajoie throwing with the Sovereign 150 back, well played sir, well played.

pharoh690
04-09-2016, 08:24 AM
I hear you brother ,I was bidding on the LaJoie also

pawpawdiv9
04-09-2016, 09:21 AM
I got myself also trying to use Gavelsnipe for the 1st time. After a few days, I saw the prices jumping on this one card I wanted. Don't think its shilling involved, just 2 folks wanting it more. And add me into it..don't think my snipe will hold either way or it will be surpassed before it happens.
Just save the $$ on something elese that comes along. Heck..mothers days is around the corner. Good ol'trip to the waffle house. (in the background)--2 All-star specials.

Touch'EmAll
04-09-2016, 09:52 AM
How many of these are out there? Its the first Exhibit of Ruth. Not some midline HOFer, were talking Ruth here! And how many 1933 Goudeys are around - at what kind of prices in similar grades? $3k seems appropriate, perhaps even under what I would expect. Alas, exhibits get not quite the love of others. By the way, no, I did not get it.

glchen
04-09-2016, 10:00 AM
I think the Ruth Exhibit PSA 5 probably went for a fair price also, although definitely higher than in the past. A lot of these 1921 Exhibits have staining that really detracts from their eye appeal, but this one was pretty clean. I did not win this card either.

savedfrommyspokes
04-09-2016, 10:22 AM
Sometimes we just get flat-out beat by a collector who wants the cards more and/or has more money. It happens.

I don't like the feeling of losing a card I want, either. So I try to make more money and bid higher the next time.

In these situations, I tip my cap to the man who beat me, buck up, and prepare for the next heated contest.

The week after the quarterly ebay buck rewards come out, I typically bid more than what I would otherwise.....my pct of wins is higher, until the rewards are exhausted.

mechanicalman
04-09-2016, 10:37 AM

The worst is when you know the dude who beat you. But this is my approach as well. It's like a closer blowing a save. It sucks, but just have to focus on the next game

T_Hamilton
04-09-2016, 03:35 PM
I spent a little more than I wanted for the one I won and lost out on the one I wanted. Whomever got the Nap Lajoie throwing with the Sovereign 150 back, well played sir, well played.

Thank you! I won that one if the one you are referring to is the psa 2. Was really just looking to get the back for my HOF collection. You think it went for a good price?

I also picked up the T3 turkey Ty Cobb psa 1

Pilot172000
04-09-2016, 07:57 PM
Thank you! I won that one if the one you are referring to is the psa 2. Was really just looking to get the back for my HOF collection. You think it went for a good price?

I also picked up the T3 turkey Ty Cobb psa 1

It did. I bought a Sov 150 Nap Lajoie Portrait a couple weeks ago and thought it was a good buy. You got a good one and I would have bid again too. I ended up with a pretty nice Christy Matthewson Portrait BVG 1.5. It's very clean and I may send it through PSA just to match my other stuff. The Matty portrait was on my Bucket list and to get a clean Portrait under $300 was a good feeling.

ls7plus
04-11-2016, 01:50 PM
Most of the pre-'39-46 Exhibits are tougher than you might think, especially in decent grade. I could give an example of several from the '20's I have had a continuing ebay search on which haven't turned up in more than a year (and they're not from the toughest '23-24 set), but really don't need the competition.

Happy hunting re the cards you need,

Larry