PDA

View Full Version : Autograph request form letters and photos

steve B
04-08-2016, 08:51 AM
I bought a batch of autograph request semi rejection form letters and other team stuff, mostly for the official team envelopes.

Surprisingly, while most of the form letters include a plain probably team issued photo a few have photos that appear to actually be "signed" Not a facsimile but an ink signature.The form letters for them are a bit different, most say the player is too busy please accept this photo, but the ones that appear to be signed say "signed photo" I'm assuming they're responses to requests including cards or other stuff.

My question is - What chance is there that any of those are actually signed by the player. I'd assume autopen, or a clubhouse guy. Or, did some players actually sign a bunch of team issued photos for whoever was doing their mail?

I can scan them, but if there's no chance then it probably isn't worth the effort.

Steve B

drcy
04-08-2016, 11:34 AM
Just an idea. Perhaps the fan sent in an item to sign and the player was too busy to sign that, but the team included an already signed item.

steve B
04-08-2016, 03:54 PM
That's how they seem, the question is whether the replacement item is actually signed or done by autopen or an assistant.

I'll probably need to scan them, the players are a pretty wide range of talent, a couple of them would be decent buys if not autopen or clubhouse.

Steve B

Abeabe
04-08-2016, 04:02 PM
Nolan Ryan was doing this for a long time. If you sent a card to be signed via rangers. he would send back a postcard sized pic that was signed.

yanksfan09
04-08-2016, 04:55 PM
I think most if not all Nolan Ryan's ttm b&w cards are auto-pens.

Some players do sign stacks of their own cards to send out or have a secretary of the team send back out for autograph requests and they are legitimate. Obviously some can be ghost signed or auto-penned too and varies with each player. I've gotten actual signed team issue type cards from guys ttm over the years like Texiera, Joe Mauer, Paul Moliter, Kirby Puckett, Curtis Granderson etc..

Cozumeleno
04-08-2016, 05:09 PM
Correct - the 4X6 Ryan black and white postcard-sized photos were autopenned. I had one as a kid :)

I think most if not all Nolan Ryan's ttm b&w cards are auto-pens.

Some players so sign stacks of their own cards to send out or have a secretary of the team send back out for autograph requests and they are legitimate. Obviously some can be ghost signed or auto-penned too and varies with each player. I've gotten actual signed team issue type cards from guys ttm over the years like Texiera, Joe Mauer, Paul Moliter, Kirby Puckett, Curtis Granderson etc..

Scott Garner
04-08-2016, 07:40 PM
Nolan Ryan was doing this for a long time. If you sent a card to be signed via rangers. he would send back a postcard sized pic that was signed.

Some were Autopen, some were not. If you post a picture, I can tell what you are looking at. I've been collecting Ryan for 44 years.

steve B
04-09-2016, 01:46 PM
Ryan isn't one of the ones I have.

I'll post scans, sounds like it'll be a mix of real and autopen.

Steve B