PDA

View Full Version : Auction OVERLOAD!!

dzolot
04-07-2016, 05:26 AM
I know the season just started and all, but is anyone else feeling like there are just too many auctions taking place at the same time right now? Between REA, SCP, PWCC, Probstein, etc, etc there's is just so much product for me to wrap my head around!

Im starting to feel numb as I flip through lot after lot of items I feel like I 'must have' but either could never afford or are getting bid up to prices that I just can't justify paying. It feels like there is an endless supply oh high-end vintage.

Not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing for me personally or the hobby generally, but just thought I'd throw it out there to the board to see if others are feeling this way too.

DZ

shernan30
04-07-2016, 05:44 AM
Yes, I feel the same way. My bank account always gets very thin this time of year. This year is no different since there are so many rare items I've been searching for. I'm breaking out random.org to set my priority list since I can't make up my mind. :eek:

Stonepony
04-07-2016, 05:58 AM
I'm only interested in 1% of it, and can only afford 10% of those I do want... so the more choices the better!! Plus, I LOVE seeing all the great things out there.

jfkheat
04-07-2016, 06:04 AM
It does seem like there are a lot of auctions now. You actually missed a few. I have 3 or 4 others saved on my favorites. 1 or 2 end tonight. Each one has a couple cards I need for sets I'm working on.
James

ullmandds
04-07-2016, 06:18 AM
I'm only interested in 1% of it, and can only afford 10% of those I do want... so the more choices the better!! Plus, I LOVE seeing all the great things out there.

totally agree with this...interested in very little...but enjoy the eye candy!

RichardSimon
04-07-2016, 06:24 AM
I know the season just started and all, but is anyone else feeling like there are just too many auctions taking place at the same time right now? Between REA, SCP, PWCC, Probstein, etc, etc there's is just so much product for me to wrap my head around!

Im starting to feel numb as I flip through lot after lot of items I feel like I 'must have' but either could never afford or are getting bid up to prices that I just can't justify paying. It feels like there is an endless supply oh high-end vintage.

Not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing for me personally or the hobby generally, but just thought I'd throw it out there to the board to see if others are feeling this way too.

DZ

When I saw "the season just started" at the beginning of this post I actually thought he was talking about the real season just starting.
The real live BASEBALL season, that still beats the auction season.
Not pieces of paper with pictures or pieces of paper with scribbles but swings and misses, base running, great pitching and home runs.
Much as I enjoy my collection I get much more enjoyment being at the ball park with my kids or my friends.

dzolot
04-07-2016, 06:36 AM
When I saw "the season just started" at the beginning of this post I actually thought he was talking about the real season just starting.
The real live BASEBALL season, that still beats the auction season.
Not pieces of paper with pictures or pieces of paper with scribbles but swings and misses, base running, great pitching and home runs.
Much as I enjoy my collection I get much more enjoyment being at the ball park with my kids or my friends.

Yes, the baseball season is what I meant!

Appreciate the comments - they're making me feel better. But is anyone else concerned about what seems to be an endless supply of vintage?? How does this movie end??

the 'stache
04-07-2016, 06:57 AM
Yes, the baseball season is what I meant!

Appreciate the comments - they're making me feel better. But is anyone else concerned about what seems to be an endless supply of vintage?? How does this movie end??

More like a television show, I'd say. Even when the show ends, it goes into syndication, so it never stops coming 'round. :eek:

ls7plus
04-08-2016, 03:16 PM
totally agree with this...interested in very little...but enjoy the eye candy!

+1 generally. The must haves are really few and far between, which isn't too bad, as that situation spares my bank account!

Well said, Pete!

Larry

iowadoc77
04-08-2016, 04:13 PM
If I could have just one clear collecting goal that would be great. Instead I look at the catalogs and get side-tracked ALL the time. Probably best for me if I don't open them. BUT I can't not open them! Need to see cardboard!!!

obcbeatle
04-09-2016, 07:35 PM
DZ

I was just thinking the same thing as I flipped through the new REA catalog. As much as I love looking at all that beautiful cardboard/memorabilia ... it's a real downer for me when I look at the prices. I wonder if there are some auction houses that specialize in lower graded cards/memorabilia? Like pre-war Good'ish and Post War VG'ish. I'm definitely a bottom feeder :-)

Jewish-collector
04-09-2016, 07:40 PM
I am also a low end collector. How the hell do you think it feels to go to the National each year and not be able to afford stuff right in front of me ? :(

Leon
04-10-2016, 12:32 PM
I am also a low end collector. How the hell do you think it feels to go to the National each year and not be able to afford stuff right in front of me ? :(

It probably feels about like the rest of us. :)

Stonepony
04-10-2016, 12:35 PM
It probably feels about like the rest of us. :)

"Had another 30k+ offer yesterday but Cy stays...and because I know Greg S and Peter S want to see him again here he is."

.....not really

Leon
04-10-2016, 12:43 PM
"Had another 30k+ offer yesterday but Cy stays...and because I know Greg S and Peter S want to see him again here he is."

.....not really

It is all relative but good point.

pawpawdiv9
04-10-2016, 01:16 PM
DONT BID in any of the auctions!!!
Relax, Grab a cold one.
The GOOD STUFFis in the FALL AUCTIONS!!!!
Save your Money $$$$$
:D:D:D

dzolot
04-11-2016, 07:03 PM
DONT BID in any of the auctions!!!
Relax, Grab a cold one.
The GOOD STUFFis in the FALL AUCTIONS!!!!
Save your Money $$$$$
:D:D:D

Ha! The scary thing is that you are right!!