PDA

View Full Version : Another Fake Negro League Photo on E-Bay

bcbgcbrcb
04-05-2016, 07:24 PM
Just so nobody on the board gets fooled.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FANTASTIC-1935-Pittsburgh-Crawfords-Baseball-TEAM-HALL-OF-FAME-negro-leagues-/331823637887?hash=item4d423ae57f:g:aLwAAOSwsN9XBDo D

Joshwesley
04-05-2016, 07:46 PM
Good looking out...

Would NEVER buy anything like that unless I knew the seller or history or unless it was slabbed.

slidekellyslide
04-05-2016, 07:48 PM
This guy has other Negro League photos for sale too, are they all fake?

Scocs
04-05-2016, 08:03 PM
What are you going by -- the quality of the photographic paper? The glue residue on back? The resolution of the image?

CurtisFlood
04-05-2016, 08:25 PM
If it was autographed by every member of the team and authentic it would be worth well above the $2300 he has is overpriced at currently.

Scocs
04-06-2016, 05:20 AM
A) what you say is a high price doesn't prove that it's fake

B) if it were autographed by Charleston, Gibson, etc. I think it would sell for a bit more than $2300

I would like to know why it's not a Type 1, Type 2, Tyoe 3 whatever and simply deemed fake....

Rookiemonster
04-06-2016, 05:32 AM
Sold

bcbgcbrcb
04-06-2016, 07:45 AM
I e-mailed the seller and told him it was a fake. Looks like he took it down, I don't think it was sold.

As much as you can make a definitive statement based solely on a scan, the spider veins in the background of the upper part of the photo are a giveaway. There are many fake Pittsburgh/Homestead photos from that era which show up on e-bay occasionally. Every one that I have seen has those spider veins throughout the upper part of the photo. Color of the photo matches all known fakes, I have no doubt. I was fooled once early on in my Negro League collecting days with a similar photo purchased on e-bay, never again......

Hankphenom
04-06-2016, 10:23 AM
Somebody did a bunch of these the same way, maybe using a chemical to try to give them an aged and distressed look, and I'm sure they will be resurfacing from time to time for years. For anyone who has seen a lot of old photos, they are at first glance recognized to be artificially aged. Real old photos have a certain look, and it's not this. The yellowing is a giveaway, and the resolution is also terrible.

packs
04-06-2016, 10:57 AM
When a photo looks grainy like that it's a dead giveaway for me. A true original photo will be crisp, even if out of focus.

JTysver
04-06-2016, 11:14 AM
Fake Negro League photo?
I know a couple guys who played in the Fake Negro Leagues.

slidekellyslide
04-06-2016, 02:00 PM
What about the rest of his photos? Fake or real?

bcbgcbrcb
04-06-2016, 02:23 PM
Dan:

His photo with "Black Sox" on the jerseys is misidentified as the Baltimore professional team, probably just a local town ball club, no real value there but selling for $700.00. Appears to be an authentic photo though.

The other Twin Cities photo has the same look as the Crawfords photo, appears fake from the scans. Again, no real significant value even it was authentic and selling for $1,000?

So we have two ridiculously overpriced photos, if they were authentic, as compared to a very underpriced Crawfords photo, if it was real but obviously isn't. Based on this info, appears that the seller knew it was fake all along.

Scocs
04-06-2016, 02:32 PM
Thanks for dropping knowledge everybody. You can honestly learn a lot on this Forum.

slidekellyslide
04-06-2016, 05:51 PM
Dan:

His photo with "Black Sox" on the jerseys is misidentified as the Baltimore professional team, probably just a local town ball club, no real value there but selling for $700.00. Appears to be an authentic photo though.

The other Twin Cities photo has the same look as the Crawfords photo, appears fake from the scans. Again, no real significant value even it was authentic and selling for $1,000?

So we have two ridiculously overpriced photos, if they were authentic, as compared to a very underpriced Crawfords photo, if it was real but obviously isn't. Based on this info, appears that the seller knew it was fake all along.

Thanks for the info.

Leon
04-07-2016, 07:45 AM
I will second the Thanks!! Phil

Dan: