PDA

View Full Version : RIP-my friend Roger Burns

painthistorian
04-04-2016, 04:39 PM
To all those that knew Roger, I regret to inform that this longtime vintage baseball dealer, hobbyist and friend has passed away after a long illness. Roger was always a quality vintage card dealer but he was also a very special person. He truly was someone that you could always enjoy visiting with at shows. He was funny, smart and witty and someone that dealt with integrity and honor. He will definitely be missed by all those that had the pleasure to know him, and I know he is no longer suffering.

I wish his wife Hazel peace and our deepest sympathy, as she loved, endured and supported Roger through months of suffering. She is a lovely and special person and I hope that she knows the hobby will miss him.

RIP my friend, Roger Burns...Larry G.

timn1
04-04-2016, 05:13 PM
I knew Roger was very ill. He was always fun to talk to at shows, and every so often he would offer me a nice bargain on something unusual-

oldjudge
04-04-2016, 05:18 PM
Roger always had the table closest to the enterance at the White Plains show. He was a very nice guy, one who always had some interesting observation. Rest in peace my friend.

Jay Wolt
04-04-2016, 05:52 PM
Sorry to hear this.

bbsports
04-04-2016, 06:17 PM
Sorry to hear about Roger's passing. It was an honor to know Roger. He was a pioneer, a gentleman, & a knowledgeable man in the sports card industry. He will be truly missed by all the card dealers that knew him.

bcornell
04-04-2016, 06:22 PM
Very sorry to hear this. I knew Roger for more than 15 years. He was one of the few guys that you knew would be at every show and he'd usually have great stuff in tow. He helped me out as a collector many times, plus he made me laugh. I'll miss him.

Bill

slipk1068
04-04-2016, 07:15 PM
Nice guy, soft-spoken, took the time to chat with collectors. I didn't know him well, but it was always a pleasure to hang out with him talking cards and make an occasional deal. He will be missed. RIP.

Vintagecatcher
04-04-2016, 07:30 PM
Like Bill, I knew Roger from the Shriner Auditorium Shows.

It's always sad to see the passing of dealers or collectors.

Rest in peace Mr Burns.

Patrick

autograf
04-04-2016, 08:56 PM
Great, great guy. Bought cards from him many time. Always had a smile on his face. RIP Roger......

glynparson
04-05-2016, 02:33 AM
Was a great guy and I considered him a hobby friend. He will certainly be missed. Always enjoyed talking cards and baseball and pretty much any topic with him. Sleep in the stars old friend.

kkkkandp
04-05-2016, 04:58 AM
It's hard not to have picked up something from Roger if you've been collecting pre-war cards for any length of time. I think I met him at my first White Plains show and bought a 1934 Goudey Dizzy Dean from him. Nice man. He will be missed.

iowadoc77
04-05-2016, 05:39 AM
I was in Chicago at the National last year and was laser focused on finding a nice T227 Ty Cobb. I was striking out, having only seen one that was not very nice and significantly over priced. I had just seen a friend who was in a similar situation, not being able to find what he was looking for. Literally the next table was Roger. He had a really nice looking Cobb at a very fair price. I bought it and it is one of my favorite cards. The card is great, but the conversation with Roger was better by far. I am blessed to have known him. He shared that he was sick and what was going on. I came back and talked to him the other days of the show as well. We had some great talks. He was one of the good ones for sure. My sympathies to his wife.
Eric

Neal
04-05-2016, 06:44 AM
Roger was one of my favorite dealers to speak with, and had the privilege of setting up across the aisle from him at my first and only show as a "dealer" back in 2000 - bought my first Goudey Ruth from him that weekend, which was the first of several cards I purchased from him over the next 10 years.

Nice guy, and I hope his family is at peace.