PDA

View Full Version : Tristar Show at the Cow Palace

paulcarek
04-04-2016, 12:31 PM
Was thinking of checking this out this weekend, but can't seem to access the exhibitor list. Anyone know if this show is good for vintage cards?

JollyElm
04-04-2016, 03:01 PM
I went there two or three years ago and it was essentially all about the autographs only, with the sparse vintage card dealers being an afterthought. Almost everyone was there to wait in line to get things signed. I'm pretty certain I asked about it since then and others chimed in and related the very same feelings.

Rich Klein
04-04-2016, 03:53 PM
If you have never been, go once and make your own determination :)

While the focus might have evolved, there will also be nice card eye candy to view.

Rich

packs
04-04-2016, 04:04 PM
I usually found a pretty good selection of PCL stuff there when I was in the Bay Area. I left 3 years ago though.

oaks1912
04-04-2016, 06:28 PM
There will be some vintage dealers there, but this is primarily an autograph show. I will be set up with Roger Neufeldt. Also, Sal Dichiera,Bob Celani and a few other local guys will have vintage and mid-century stuff. Plenty of helmets, baseballs, facsimile jerseys and photos to buy. Hemp con will be replaced with a gun show this time, so those looking to buy a sawed off shotgun and get Buster Posey to sign a baseball will be in heaven.:)

Thirteen
04-08-2016, 11:36 PM
I'll be heading there Saturday afternoon with my 7-year-old son. There are usually a few dealers with vintage stuff there. Nice to know that at least you'll be there Mark :)

DeanH3
04-09-2016, 12:12 AM
I'll be there Satirday as well. Always fun to go to a show. Good luck to those going!

itjclarke
04-09-2016, 02:17 AM
I stopped by today to drop off some PSA subs (first ever). I'd originally intended to just pop in and out, but that became an impossibility once I started browsing. Regardless of what anyone considers a good, or bad show, it's always a beautiful thing to see tables of cards... '50's, '60's, pre-war, many low-mid grade, modern stuff, whatever. There may not have been loads of high end, "knock your socks off" stuff, but seeing lots of cards out and on display takes me back to shows and shops as a kid, where just seeing, maybe scoring a few nice (but not perfect) cards meant the most. Also no way I wasn't gonna check out Mark's table, get my fill of PCL and card I history. 3 hrs later, I had idea how I even thought I would just get in and out. May need to swing by Saturday too.

Separately, while standing in line at PSA, I started talking to a slightly older collector who had much of his collection loose, literally LOOSE (no sleeves) in a shoebox. He had a solid NM '56 Jackie Robinson, a super strong EX/EXMT '53 Mantle, and VG+ Mays and Mantle rookies. It was so cool seeing them in a box, moving around like that. Even the lower/mid grades looked really cool. I feel like cards, once encased and static in a plastic frame, are sort of under a microscope forever, making "flaws" like centering, surface blemishes, etc, really stand out to the eye... but when raw, these flaws all look much more acceptable to me.

Paul S
04-09-2016, 04:07 AM
I saw Yes there back in The Seventies - the Relayer tour, although now I think they will be a no-show;)

JollyElm
04-09-2016, 04:23 AM
Separately, while standing in line at PSA, I started talking to a slightly older collector who had much of his collection loose, literally LOOSE (no sleeves) in a shoebox. He had a solid NM '56 Jackie Robinson, a super strong EX/EXMT '53 Mantle, and VG+ Mays and Mantle rookies. It was so cool seeing them in a box, moving around like that. Even the lower/mid grades looked really cool. I feel like cards, once encased and static in a plastic frame, are sort of under a microscope forever, making "flaws" like centering, surface blemishes, etc, really stand out to the eye... but when raw, these flaws all look much more acceptable to me.

Well said!

Leon
04-10-2016, 06:34 PM
Well said!

I am in agreement too!! I think we critique graded cards a bit harsher (maybe rightfully so, I dunno)

And back to subject, I want to start looking at doing a Houston Tristar Show in the future..... could be fun.

Rich Klein
04-11-2016, 06:57 AM
Note to Leon

Next Tri-Star show in Houston is Father's Day weekend, if you don't have plans for the weekend as a father, I'd recommend going to see what a big show is like as a modern era dealer :D