PDA

View Full Version : Are selfies killing autographs?

darkhorse9
04-04-2016, 09:16 AM
I read an article asking celebrities about fan encounters. They pointed out that people are no longer asking for autographs, instead asking to take selfies.

I can understand the charm of those for fans, but could this spell the end of the autograph collecting model? You really can't sell a selfie on ebay and I doubt PSA will grade them anyway.

Much like ticket stubs becoming a dying collectible thanks to on-line ticket buying, are autopgraphs next?

philliesphan
04-04-2016, 09:36 AM
I don't think autograph collecting will ever go away.

But it may evolve, and exist in different forms. I think a picture or an encounter is much, much more memorable to a child or a collector than an autograph. But then again, we're talking about two different things here. The autograph may have long term value to the hobby, but the selfie (Whether autographed, personalized, etc.) is really specific to the individual.

The past generation has taught players, collectors and kids alike that autographs are a commodity, to be bought and sold. Experiences are memories, which are more important to building fans and love of sport.

chaddurbin
04-04-2016, 09:41 AM
a selfie is a more authentic and genuine gesture for both the player and fan, we should encourage that...not a 13 yr old kid with a binder full of cards begging for autographs.

the hobby will be fine, if there's a demand there'll be supply.

begsu1013
04-04-2016, 10:03 AM
selfies are cool and very memorable, but i don't think i'll ever stop enjoying these:

http://caimages.collectors.com/psaimages/26029/25444256/51mantle1psadna.jpg

http://caimages.collectors.com/psaimages/26029/24651931/48musial3.5psadna.jpg

http://caimages.collectors.com/psaimages/26029/23892185/48spahn3psadna.jpg

http://caimages.collectors.com/psaimages/26029/19754603/54aaron5.jpg

almostdone
04-04-2016, 07:57 PM
Maybe modern selfies are a good thing. At least you should be able to tell who the player is as opposed to trying to later decipher a dash, line and scribble posing as an autograph.
Drew

egri
04-04-2016, 07:58 PM
Hey, if it means less competition down the road, that's fine by me:D.

In all seriousness, I think the selfie trend may complement the hobby i.e., someone will take a selfie with Derek Jeter and display it with a signed 3x5 or something.

JollyElm
04-04-2016, 08:17 PM
Maybe modern selfies are a good thing. At least you should be able to tell who the player is as opposed to trying to later decipher a dash, line and scribble posing as an autograph.
Drew

You know it's coming. Wait until people start using weird filters and photoshop effects to said selfies and next thing you know, the players in the photos will also be undecipherable. :)

the 'stache
04-05-2016, 01:26 AM
How about the unholiest of combinations? Selfies taken while a player gives you an autograph?

"Hey, Mr, Trout, can you sign this for me? And, mind if I creep up next to you, and snap a pic of you signing that card for me?"

Now that I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen. Hey, that way you know the autograph is legit. Selling a card, and need some provenance? Here's a pic of my card getting signed.

It will happen.

Exhibitman
04-06-2016, 10:23 AM
How about the unholiest of combinations? Selfies taken while a player gives you an autograph?

"Hey, Mr, Trout, can you sign this for me? And, mind if I creep up next to you, and snap a pic of you signing that card for me?"

Now that I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen. Hey, that way you know the autograph is legit. Selling a card, and need some provenance? Here's a pic of my card getting signed.

It will happen.

Already does. Peruse the ebay listings for most rock n roll or entertainment autographs and many sellers use selfies to try and prove the items were signed in their presence.

Filthy
04-07-2016, 08:40 AM
I'm not really into selfies, but my theatre room at my house is filled with framed jerseys on the wall, that I have had autographed in person. For the majority of them, I have either had someone take my picture, or I have taken a picture of my son/daughter with the player when they requested the autograph. For me, I could care less about the value of the autograph, or resell value, so I do not care to have any of them "authenticated" as I obtained the autograph in person and know its legit. Having the picture, just captures the moment.

darkhorse9
04-07-2016, 12:06 PM
You guys seem to be missing the bigger picture. We older , more established collectors will always understand autographs. But to the youth of today, they are no longer going to be asking for autographs and will be satisfied with selfies.

Celebrities aren't getting asked to sign things, they're getting asked to pose.....take that fact out 20 years and autographs will be a quaint relic of older days - much like ticket stubs.

the 'stache
04-09-2016, 04:47 AM
Selfies just seem juvenile to me. If I want my picture taken with a ball player, I'm going to stand next to them, and have somebody take a proper photo.

And I'll take an autograph over a picture any way of the week.