PDA

View Full Version : I have the option to send over a card to China, wise move?

njdunkin1
04-03-2016, 08:32 PM
Here's the dealio - I had an offer today via eBay on one of my cards, but the guy sent me over a message, stating that he wanted to hear my price to buy the card outside of eBay via PayPal. Here is the message in question, and I quote:

"Hello My friend,I notice that you ship item to EBAY shipping center first which makes a expensive shipping fee to China.Would you like ship item to China directly.And I'm a 100% positive leavebacks buyer on EBAY.You can surely trust me my friend.And I'd like to pay you through PayPal so that you can save ebay task.What do you think? And let me know what's the best price you give me through PayPal.Thanks a lot."

Please excuse my bad language metaphor, but my BS meter is creeping up now. I want to sell the card, but I've never shipped outside of the continental US before, let alone to China. He uses a lot of the world-famous YouCanTrustMe's and whatnot...not buying it. The card being discussed is one of my nicer cards, about a 125 sell value.
Any and all help would be appreciated!
NJ

njdunkin1
04-03-2016, 08:32 PM
To follow, I have not sent a reply message yet. I would like to hear the consensus opinion of the community first :)

Enfuego
04-03-2016, 08:35 PM
Turn around and walk away slowly:rolleyes:

gnaz01
04-03-2016, 08:38 PM
Here's the dealio - I had an offer today via eBay on one of my cards, but the guy sent me over a message, stating that he wanted to hear my price to buy the card outside of eBay via PayPal. Here is the message in question, and I quote:

"Hello My friend,I notice that you ship item to EBAY shipping center first which makes a expensive shipping fee to China.Would you like ship item to China directly.And I'm a 100% positive leavebacks buyer on EBAY.You can surely trust me my friend.And I'd like to pay you through PayPal so that you can save ebay task.What do you think? And let me know what's the best price you give me through PayPal.Thanks a lot."

Please excuse my bad language metaphor, but my BS meter is creeping up now. I want to sell the card, but I've never shipped outside of the continental US before, let alone to China. He uses a lot of the world-famous YouCanTrustMe's and whatnot...not buying it. The card being discussed is one of my nicer cards, about a 125 sell value.
Any and all help would be appreciated!
NJ

Nope

ibuysportsephemera
04-03-2016, 08:44 PM
Good chance you will be burned if you complete this transaction...the off ebay shipping to China (or other foreign countries) has been around for awhile. The only possible way I would do it is to request an international money order (if your bank will accept them).

Good luck.

Jeff

pokerplyr80
04-03-2016, 08:48 PM
Good chance you will be burned if you complete this transaction...the off ebay shipping to China (or other foreign countries) has been around for awhile. The only possible way I would do it is to request an international money order (if your bank will accept them).

Good luck.

Jeff

Agreed. Tell him he can send you the payment, money order, check, whatever. Once it clears you'll send the card and he will save on international shipping. Otherwise no deal.

njdunkin1
04-03-2016, 08:49 PM
Turn around and walk away slowly:rolleyes:

Nope

Good luck.

Jeff

Thanks gentlemen, I sent him a message just stating that it was against eBay guidelines for transactions outside of eBay itself when it comes to stuff like this. He seemed pretty chill about it, pretty quick response. Thanks again!
EDIT: I'm solely sticking to PayPal for my eBay transactions at the moment, I do appreciate the advice. Just seems to be the best fit for me right now.

kmac32
04-03-2016, 08:52 PM
No way in Hades would I ever consider it. This request "Trumps" most of the bad ideas I have ever heard of. Just my opinion.

njdunkin1
04-03-2016, 08:56 PM
No way in Hades would I ever consider it. This request "Trumps" most of the bad ideas I have ever heard of. Just my opinion.

Hey, your opinion is quite valid. I'm just tryin to cover my butt.

pclpads
04-03-2016, 09:32 PM
Ah so . . . just say no. :D

sycks22
04-03-2016, 09:38 PM
If he sends you back 3 jerseys for $50 I'd do it

jfkheat
04-03-2016, 09:56 PM
You would have no proof that the card was ever delivered. Don't do it.
James

Stampsfan
04-04-2016, 12:13 AM
While this may not be relevant to this particular case, eBay's Global Shipping Program is a rip off for international buyers. I seldom bid on items that are in that program.

Many folks certainly wish more US dealers (that do ship to Canada) were aware that being involved in the program will limit bids or sales.

For me, it better be a sweet deal on the card or item to endure the excessive charges.

buymycards
04-04-2016, 05:51 AM
I have sent many cards to China without a problem. I always ship them through the Post Office, not through eBay. However, I doubt that I would ship a $125 card. Most of mine have been under $20. I would never ship a card overseas unless it is a regular eBay/PayPal transaction.

Basketball seems to be hot in China and Australia, so I get some decent sales to those 2 countries when I have basketball cards listed. I have also had good luck sending low value hockey cards to Russia and other eastern European countries, but I always stick with the eBay/PayPal process. I don't use eBay's Global Shipping program. However, normally when I have cards that list for more than $20 or so, I do not offer international shipping. It is too much of a risk.

Rick

JustinD
04-04-2016, 06:15 AM
My thought is if he wanted to buy the card outside ebay via pp, where is the risk? He lost his buyer protection. I honestly would be more worried if he wanted to buy it on eBay.

My son is huge into basketball and because it is so popular there, I have bought from many sellers in Taiwan and Hong Kong. They had what he wanted at great prices and many shy away from the foriegn auctions. If the guy has good feedback I just go for it and have never had a problem once. I get great deals on the international stuff, just rely heavy on feedback.

Many years ago when I was a heavy ebay seller, I made a killing opening my auctions to foriegn bidders. I would not do it now, as the sellers have no protection at all and you would get killed on scams. It's a shame too, at one time I was just going to the toy store and buying cases of popular toys and selling them to tons of Aussie buyers who could not get them because of distribution. I made about 4 thousand selling just the die cast Disney "Cars" in one summer.

rjackson44
04-04-2016, 06:46 AM
Simple no

iowadoc77
04-04-2016, 07:02 AM
Avoid like the plague. Not worth it

Filthy
04-04-2016, 07:40 AM
Just to play Devils advocate here, I collect a lot of high end "modern" basketball. There are SO MANY high end collectors in China. Almost every single $500+ card I've ever sold, has been sold to someone in China. If I had to guess, over the past 2 years, I've sold 10-12 cards and sent them to china. A few of he cards were sold for over $1,000. None of the transactions were done via ebay...and all of them were payed for via Paypal, in the exact same manner that this buyer is requesting....and have never had an issue of any kind.

Yoda
04-05-2016, 01:39 PM
I lived over 20 years in Asia and I wouldn't touch this guy with a 10 foot pole. I have a strong hunch he doesn't really want your card, he wants your personal information in the same tried and tested manner that the Chinese have been so successful hacking into Americans' personal financial data. "Seller beware."

ls7plus
04-05-2016, 04:25 PM
Agreed. Tell him he can send you the payment, money order, check, whatever. Once it clears you'll send the card and he will save on international shipping. Otherwise no deal.

+1.

Larry

ksabet
04-05-2016, 06:19 PM
My sister lives in Beijing and won't even order from Amazon because she doesn't trust the system there.

Its not worth it.

Jewish-collector
04-05-2016, 07:42 PM
No, don't send it. Sometimes you gotta say, WTF