PDA

View Full Version : What would you buy??

gustomania
04-01-2016, 01:11 PM
I'm sitting here bored at work always trying to make sense of my PC. Seems like the more miscellaneous stuff I buy the more I need to narrow my focus on a PC to stay sane and happy lol. Kinda my off season dilemma.....

So I'm asking myself "what do I want to buy" as I am always trying to maximize what I have vs. wants and "what really matters" in the football collecting world. Does a PSA 8 Earl Campball RC "Matter" or does it really need to be a PSA 9....can I afford the PSA 9, etc, etc, etc. I realize everyones budget is different as well as wants and PC's, I just find it interesting to get other people's perspective. Would you rather buy that Jim Brown PSA 5 or a Sayers PSA 7.......blah blah blah

The scenario is you are sitting with $500 Paypal and looking to add a nice VINTAGE piece or pieces to your Football collection and its the ONLY money you can spend! If you have $500 what card(s) would be significant enough to make you happy?

pokerplyr80
04-01-2016, 01:55 PM
I'm don't really collect other sports than baseball much, but if I had to spend $500 on vintage football I would get the nicest Starr rookie I could find. I'm from WI and a big packer fan.

Econteachert205
04-01-2016, 02:23 PM
I'd probably buy a nice Jim brown rookie and and autographed photo to match.

clydepepper
04-01-2016, 04:28 PM
While I don't collect football cards, I've always thought the 1955 All-American set would be my first interest...really good-looking vintage.

the 'stache
04-01-2016, 06:43 PM
This would be a really tough choice for me. I'm a Packers fanatic, so I'd immediately start narrowing down to a short list.

The ultimate card for any hard core Packers fan would be the 1935 National Chicle Clarke Hinkle. But a strong mid grade card would cost way more than $500.

I could get a really nice 1955 Topps All American Don Hutson for $500. I could also find nice rookie examples of two iconic Packer players-Bart Starr and Paul Hornung, both of which saw their first cards in the 1957 Topps set.

But I think I'd choose one of the most beautiful cards I've ever seen. The 1950 Bowman Tony Canadeo. The Packer legend, and NFL Hall of Famer, is not well known to modern day football fans outside of Green Bay. They should be. Like a lot of the great baseball players of the era, Canadeo missed nearly two full years serving in World War II.

This card is gorgeous! I challenge anybody to find a football card with more eye appeal.

http://i.imgur.com/ol4G15e.png

gustomania
04-01-2016, 07:10 PM
Great choice and agree that has the "it" factor

U raise a great point, eye appeal is very important in selecting a card!!!!

QUOTE=the 'stache;1522023]This would be a really tough choice for me. I'm a Packers fanatic, so I'd immediately start narrowing down to a short list.

The ultimate card for any hard core Packers fan would be the 1935 National Chicle Clarke Hinkle. But a strong mid grade card would cost way more than $500.

I could get a really nice 1955 Topps All American Don Hutson for $500. I could also find nice rookie examples of two iconic Packer players-Bart Starr and Paul Hornung, both of which saw their first cards in the 1957 Topps set.

But I think I'd choose one of the most beautiful cards I've ever seen. The 1950 Bowman Tony Canadeo. The Packer legend, and NFL Hall of Famer, is not well known to modern day football fans outside of Green Bay. They should be. Like a lot of the great baseball players of the era, Canadeo missed nearly two full years serving in World War II.

This card is gorgeous! I challenge anybody to find a football card with more eye appeal.

http://i.imgur.com/ol4G15e.png[/QUOTE]