PDA

View Full Version : Pablo Escobar Topps RC card

Sierra79
03-31-2016, 07:08 PM
I noticed that Topps has a kind of make your own custom card thing on their website. The only thing that they really require is that you don't use any images from professional atheletes. So just for the sake of kicks and curiosity, I thought it would be entertaining to have some fun and make a (retroactive) rookie card of the infamous drug lord, Pablo "El Patron" Escobar (I've been hooked on Netflix's Narcos series). I thought Miami would be a fitting team.

If any Marlins collector wants one as a novelty just pm me, give your shipping address and I'll send it to you for free. Oh, the photo of him was actually his first mugshot (public domain).

bnorth
03-31-2016, 07:16 PM
That is cool, is it a blank back?

Sierra79
03-31-2016, 07:30 PM
That is cool, is it a blank back?

No, I put one of his quotes on the back. Kind of ironic.:D

bnorth
03-31-2016, 07:33 PM
I love the position: DL=Drug Lord

HOF Auto Rookies
03-31-2016, 07:40 PM
Fun to play around with those. I made a killing off Harper before he was drafted making collegiate cards of him through Topps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sierra79
03-31-2016, 08:00 PM
Fun to play around with those. I made a killing off Harper before he was drafted making collegiate cards of him through Topps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. Do you still have pics of any?

I think the possibilities could be endless.

HOF Auto Rookies
03-31-2016, 08:02 PM

I'll try to dig them up. I'm sure a few pop up on eBay every now and then.

bnorth
03-31-2016, 08:09 PM

There are several custom card guys that will make you anything you want. One of the best posts on this site all the time. I see no difference between those or ones custom made by Topps.

Sierra79
03-31-2016, 08:13 PM
I love the position: DL=Drug Lord

Also, E.L. patron, or el patron, was one of his nicknames, which translates to "the boss".

HOF Auto Rookies
03-31-2016, 08:14 PM
There are several custom card guys that will make you anything you want. One of the best posts on this site all the time. I see no difference between those or ones custom made by Topps.

Whole heartedly agree, not taking away from that. This was 6-7 years ago, he's probably just curious to what it looked like. Mouschi is the best. I will have him make me a card all day over Topps custom cards.

mrmopar
03-31-2016, 08:39 PM
If you go to create one of those cards, a warning message pops up asking you to confirm that you won't use any copyrighted images. You can actually close the pop up without "agreeing" to it and complete your order.

Surprise, the cards will still be made anyway.

I can neither confirm nor deny how I came to know of this fact.

Sierra79
03-31-2016, 08:49 PM
If you go to create one of those cards, a warning message pops up asking you to confirm that you won't use any copyrighted images. You can actually close the pop up without "agreeing" to it and complete your order.

Surprise, the cards will still be made anyway.

I can neither confirm nor deny how I came to know of this fact.

I didn't realize that. But, that's why I went with the mugshot since it is a public domain image. I was going to have Bernie Madoff playing for the Mets with the Mets with his mugshot, but my wife is actually Colombian and we live in Florida so I figured it would make for a great conversation piece when her family pops in for a visit.:rolleyes:

the 'stache
03-31-2016, 10:47 PM
If ever a card called for borders, really white borders, this is it.

Sierra79
04-01-2016, 06:03 PM
If ever a card called for borders, really white borders, this is it.

I know, that's why I had to go with the 2016 design. With its faded smoke or whatever it's supposed to be, it almost looks like a powdery residue - fitting for such a 'DL'.