PDA

View Full Version : 1954 Bowman Mickey Mantle

jbernar1
03-29-2016, 06:43 AM
I have a 1954 Bowman Mantle that i bought probably 30 years ago. I am looking for a good holder for it. I dont plan on getting it graded and it is a little larger than the modern cards. I would like to save it for my son to have. Any suggestions? Prefer a magnetic one if possible.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

pawpawdiv9
03-29-2016, 02:26 PM
either way, put it into a sleeve before placing there. I read a few times, that over time it can stick to it. Plus, the screw-downs can flatten the card. Perhaps find the ones that are not flat, but those that are recessed.

sbfinley
03-29-2016, 09:00 PM
Unfortunately I've yet to find a magnetic case that fits 52-56 topps or 53-55 Bowman. It blows my mind that Ultra Pro doesn't have multiple sizes as I love their magnetics. BCW does make a recessed screwdown holder for both early Topps and Bowman, that is the closest substitution for magnetics. You can find them here: http://www.bcwsupplies.com/cat/trading-card/holders/pro-mold-1953-1955-bowman-screwdown-card-holder and usually on eBay. For holders you are discussing (Ultra Pro Magnetics and BCW Magnetic and Screwdowns) no sleeve is necessary and actually in most instances won't fit in the holder as they are size for the specific brands. If you end of using one of the giant screwdown blocks Chris mentioned, then yes use a sleeve on the card.

jbernar1
03-30-2016, 08:55 AM
Unfortunately I've yet to find a magnetic case that fits 52-56 topps or 53-55 Bowman. It blows my mind that Ultra Pro doesn't have multiple sizes as I love their magnetics. BCW does make a recessed screwdown holder for both early Topps and Bowman, that is the closest substitution for magnetics. You can find them here: http://www.bcwsupplies.com/cat/trading-card/holders/pro-mold-1953-1955-bowman-screwdown-card-holder and usually on eBay. For holders you are discussing (Ultra Pro Magnetics and BCW Magnetic and Screwdowns) no sleeve is necessary and actually in most instances won't fit in the holder as they are size for the specific brands. If you end of using one of the giant screwdown blocks Chris mentioned, then yes use a sleeve on the card.
Thanks for the info. I just ordered one of the BCW one screw recessed cases. Appreciate the help.

mid50sbaseball
03-31-2016, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the info. I just ordered one of the BCW one screw recessed cases. Appreciate the help.

I think that's a good call. I can remember many years ago there was a card shop that I frequented and people would bring in stuff sometimes to sell in those big "brick" 4-screw holders that were unrecessed. Sometimes they'd be really nice cards too and you could almost see the cringe on the shop owner's face. He hated those things because he felt that they damaged the cards. I tended to agree I think they are a terrible product all the way around. Recessed holders are the way to go. By the way I'd love to see a pic of this card all holdered up once you've got it. '54 Bowmans are awesome cards and I'll bet that Mantle is mighty purty. :)

jbernar1
04-05-2016, 08:32 AM
Received the new BCW holder. Very nice. Will post a picture once I get my new scanner.

jbernar1
04-26-2016, 06:22 PM
Here is the 54 Bowman Mantle. Just got a new scanner....:)

jbernar1
04-26-2016, 06:24 PM
Here is the back of it.

ALR-bishop
04-26-2016, 06:25 PM
Very nice Jeff

Neal
04-26-2016, 07:36 PM
classic Mick!

Zach Wheat
04-27-2016, 07:33 AM
Jeff,

Nice coloring...on mine the paper seems to age, which makes the colors look a little dull.

Z

jbernar1
04-28-2016, 09:11 AM
If I get it graded is there a preferred vendor for a vintage card between SGC, BGS, and PSA??