PDA

View Full Version : Setting up to be a 50s - 70s dealer

Leon
03-28-2016, 08:19 AM
Recently I have been thinking I want to start setting up at some local shows (hi Rich) and maybe some in the Northeast or Midwest too. I have a decent idea of pre-war stuff.
That being said I need to learn more about how much to pay for these large groups of 50s-70s cards I am seeing. What are collectors buying at shows? I haven't watched a whole lot of this eras sales. Any hints?

Rich Klein
03-28-2016, 08:26 AM
We'll talk. I'll be happy to assist you. I will tell you that what you purchased in Scott's auctions are a good start towards that purpose. I'll guide you even towards what auctions would be best for you

Rich

Donscards
03-28-2016, 12:27 PM
Recently I have been thinking I want to start setting up at some local shows (hi Rich) and maybe some in the Northeast or Midwest too. I have a decent idea of pre-war stuff.
That being said I need to learn more about how much to pay for these large groups of 50s-70s cards I am seeing. What are collectors buying at shows? I haven't watched a whole lot of this eras sales. Any hints?

Leon. A lot of buyers love the 50's rookies. Aaron, clemente, Mays, Mantle, Koufax, Banks. Try the Boston show for the northeast. Shriners show is great for vintage.

pokerplyr80
03-28-2016, 06:34 PM
Good luck with the new venture. I can't offer much in terms of advice on how to be a dealer, but I will be a customer if you pick up some nice 50s or 60s rookies.

begsu1013
03-28-2016, 10:03 PM
broadly speaking, i'd stick w/ the names previously mentioned in basic topps form, hof rcs, well centered cards and the infamous set years...52, 57, 65, 71 topps, etc. strong following for 75 regular and minis. not a fan of this set, but i definitely seem to be in the minority there.

54 topps seem to be picking up steam price wise.

lemme know when ya get some decent inventory and i'll be glad to send ya my look for list....

Laxcat
03-29-2016, 08:12 PM
I'll be in DFW for Rich's shows and others. As I'm sure you know, that stuff right in my wheelhouse. I'll be happy to help in any way.

mid50sbaseball
03-31-2016, 09:58 AM
I've been working on starting up something similar focusing on (as my username would suggest) mid 50's baseball cards. I have been picking up several lots on ebay but I'm pretty new at it so I really have no basis of comparison to know whether or not what I'm paying is "good" nor for that matter do I really know for sure whether or not what I am trying to sell stuff for is good, lol. So if anyone has any pointers for a newbie who's trying to get a foot in the door it would be greatly appreciated. I've been collecting off and on for about as long as I can remember and have dallied a bit here in there in buying and selling but this is my first foray into really trying to do it in an organized sort of business minded approach and I'm kinda winging it as I go.

arexcrooke
03-31-2016, 10:18 AM
I've been working on starting up something similar focusing on (as my username would suggest) mid 50's baseball cards. I have been picking up several lots on ebay but I'm pretty new at it so I really have no basis of comparison to know whether or not what I'm paying is "good" nor for that matter do I really know for sure whether or not what I am trying to sell stuff for is good, lol. So if anyone has any pointers for a newbie who's trying to get a foot in the door it would be greatly appreciated. I've been collecting off and on for about as long as I can remember and have dallied a bit here in there in buying and selling but this is my first foray into really trying to do it in an organized sort of business minded approach and I'm kinda winging it as I go.

What this guy says!

PM770
03-31-2016, 10:58 AM
Leon, will you be at the Strongsville show 4/15-17? They are an advertiser here and its a great vintage show. 1970s is modern for that show.

familytoad
03-31-2016, 02:06 PM
Leon, don't forget the great Pacific Northwest!
Shows are the first Saturday of June and November.
You've seen us rave about the fun we have, come see for yourself.
Bring all the PCL material from the couch cushions, that's like PacNW Gold:D:D

Leon
03-31-2016, 03:37 PM
Hey Guys
Thanks for the responses. I ordered 6 cases a few days ago and a small utility dolly/card 3 in 1. I have a few things from the 1950s-1970s but will be hunting for more. Thanks again for the pointers so far....

and Matt et al.....if I see ya'll in person I will take all the pointers I can get. If Rich has a table at his next show I might set up at it to get my feet wet. Once other things and inventory get worked out I think my wife and I will do some traveling to do some shows but that is several months out......East to Midwest to West and anywhere in between..... :)

JollyElm
03-31-2016, 04:17 PM
Definitely, definitely, definitely set up some 'cheap' bins full of cards. When I go to shows and there are a ton of people selling absolutely nothing because of their ridiculous pricing, there are always tons of people digging through the "$1 a piece," "3 cards for $7," etc., plastic bins. These are filled with a wide variety of stuff from the 50's on up with some HOF'ers and what not, and as the saying goes, they put asses in the seats. It's a great way to grab additional revenue from cards that would otherwise never be sought out. Plus, you can chat up collectors like me while we're digging and maybe that could lead to bigger sales.

Laxcat
03-31-2016, 04:29 PM
Definitely, definitely, definitely set up some 'cheap' bins full of cards. When I go to shows and there are a ton of people selling absolutely nothing because of their ridiculous pricing, there are always tons of people digging through the "$1 a piece," "3 cards for $7," etc., plastic bins. These are filled with a wide variety of stuff from the 50's on up and, with some HOF'ers and what not, and as the saying goes, they put asses in the seats. It's a great way to grab additional revenue from cards that would otherwise never be sought out. Plus, you can chat up collectors like me while we're digging and maybe that could lead to bigger sales.

+1 I even do off grade 70's quarter boxes. The cards fly out the door. Usually a dealer will make me an offer on what I have left at the end of the show.