PDA

View Full Version : News wire photo question - any experts out there?

JoeDfan
03-24-2016, 07:25 PM
Picked up this photo of Joe for pretty cheap. I think it is a news wire photo, and it seems to have all the right stamps on the back.

I know nothing about wire photos. How do you tell if it is from the correct time period? Do people reprint/fake them?
Maybe I am too paranoid, but I always presume that anyone will reprint/fake anything if there is money in it.

If this is "legit", the date on the back makes it one of the earliest photos of Joe in a Yankees uniform I have ever seen (although I have seen one from about two weeks prior to this date once).

Any information from one of you experts would be great.

Just to be clear, I am definitely NOT suggesting the seller scammed me or anything like that; I just have no idea about this stuff.

Needless to say, if this is from the date it says it is, I am STOKED to add it to my DiMaggio collection.

bnorth
03-24-2016, 08:07 PM
I can guarantee it is better than the Mears "poster" you bought.;)

Cool looking item, I know less than nothing about vintage photos, hopefully someone here can help you.

JoeyFarino
03-24-2016, 08:38 PM
Its a legit wirephoto. But wirephotos in general are less valuable than a press photo. Some people dont collect them because theyre not considered "originals" and usually the images are grainy (not all). But as long as youre happy with it thats all that matters. Nice pick up

sporteq
03-24-2016, 10:29 PM
I think he intended to say, a wire photo is far less than a off the negative period photo. A wire photo is also called a press photo. Just clarifying

Nice image!

JoeDfan
03-25-2016, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the help guys!

I don't mind at all that it is not as "valuable" as a press photo, I just wanted to be sure it was from the correct time period.

drcy
03-25-2016, 11:36 AM
If it's one of the earliest, it will have value even as a wirephoto. Known as a historical artifact. It looks period and official to me.

Wirephotos with the caption in the image (usually at the bottom) are almost always from the date in the caption. The date is the transmission date. So the good thing about wirephotos is that they're usually easy to date. And as wire news of timely news, they usually are period to the image. There will be cases where they use an old image (obituary, anniversary-- which will usually/often be detailed in a caption), but usually the photos are period to the image.

JoeDfan
03-25-2016, 06:29 PM
Thank you!