PDA

View Full Version : 1950s- Best of the Best?

Filthy
03-23-2016, 06:32 PM
In regards to collecting 1950s era cards, how would everyone rank the following players? I understand that everyone collects different players for different reasons, but obviously, I wasn't alive when these guys were doing their thing, so I was just curious to see how they are viewed by the collecting community. After Mantle, I personally have a tough time differentiating/separating one from another. So, how does everyone rank the following 1950s stars, from most desirable to least desirable in regards to collectability. Thanks!

Ted Williams
Sandy Koufax
Roberto Clemente
Mickey Mantle
Hank Aaron
Willie Mays
Jackie Robinson

JollyElm
03-23-2016, 06:48 PM
I'll rank them based mainly on the responses I get to my various 'For Trade' threads...

Mickey Mantle
Jackie Robinson
Ted Williams
Sandy Koufax
Roberto Clemente
Willie Mays
Hank Aaron

rats60
03-23-2016, 07:00 PM
Mantle
Clemente
Williams
Robinson
Mays
Koufax
Aaron

irv
03-23-2016, 07:20 PM
Surprised you guys have Aaron last? Thought his cards were becoming somewhat hot as of late?

Filthy
03-23-2016, 08:18 PM
I do find it interesting that Aaron was bringing up the rear with just a few responses. For me, this is how I see it....

Mantle
Aaron
Williams
Clemente
Mays
Koufax
Robinson

Rookiemonster
03-23-2016, 10:17 PM
Mays
Mantle
Aaron
Williams
Koufax
Clemente
Robinson

Nothing to flashy here . But I feel as long as it starts with Mays and ends in Robinson . Your probably right .

itjclarke
03-23-2016, 10:27 PM
I'd order them as follows. Mantle at top based on his universal collector popularity as opposed to accomplishments, and Williams is at bottom, just because I feel his '50's cards are probably a little less sought after than his rookie, or his other earlier cards like '41 PB. Mays/Aaron seem white hot of late, while Clemente seems to have been a mainstay for years. IMO, all listed are very popular for this era.

Mantle
Clemente
Robinson
Mays
Aaron
Koufax
Williams

Johnny630
03-24-2016, 05:35 AM
Mantle
Clemente
Robinson
Williams
Koufax
Aaron
Mays

Filthy
03-24-2016, 07:52 AM
Mays
Mantle
Aaron
Williams
Koufax
Clemente
Robinson

Nothing to flashy here . But I feel as long as it starts with Mays and ends in Robinson . Your probably right .

Wow. This is different for sure. I guess you think pretty highly of Willie Mays, having him #1 over Mantle.

bnorth
03-24-2016, 09:08 AM
Williams

Aaron
Mays
Koufax
Clemente
Robinson
Mantle

I think we will all have different answers and none are wrong.

brian1961
03-24-2016, 12:00 PM
We all have our likes, and we all have our dis-likes.

For many years in our hobby, by necessity we've come to pick and choose, and the picks are getting fewer and fewer, 'cause the picks are getting more and more expensive!:eek:

---Brian Powell

rats60
03-24-2016, 12:25 PM
Williams

Aaron
Mays
Koufax
Clemente
Robinson
Mantle

It depends. If you are ranking players on field performance, then it is pretty subjective, but Williams is probably #1. I take it as card values. That is less subjective because we have sales data that points to Mantle being the clear #1.

bnorth
03-24-2016, 01:22 PM
It depends. If you are ranking players on field performance, then it is pretty subjective, but Williams is probably #1. I take it as card values. That is less subjective because we have sales data that points to Mantle being the clear #1.

I put them in the order that I personally collect them. The only reason Mantle was last on my list is his cards are way too expensive for me. I could buy several of the other players cards for the same amount of $ as 1 Mantle. I do have several Mantle cards but they are all beaters. My 55 Bowman has a chunk missing out of the back the size of a 50 cent piece.:)

pokerplyr80
03-24-2016, 07:40 PM
Mantle
Mays
Robinson
Clemente
Aaron
Williams
Koufax

Mantle is obviously the most popular player in terms of collectability in the hobby as a whole, and my personal favorite as I'm working on a regular issue Mantle run. My list is in order of personal interest.

NateMack
03-24-2016, 09:42 PM
Mantle Clemente Robinson Williams Koufax Aaron Mays

In no particular order, all tied for first!

Neal
03-26-2016, 09:55 PM
Williams

Aaron
Mays
Koufax
Clemente
Robinson
Mantle

Absolutely!

For my searching, the list is easy ....

Mantle .... no doubt at all

Aaron/Mays - distant 2nd toss up
Williams - close 3rd
Robinson
Clemente

Koufax

the 'stache
03-27-2016, 02:31 AM
In regards to collecting 1950s era cards, how would everyone rank the following players? I understand that everyone collects different players for different reasons, but obviously, I wasn't alive when these guys were doing their thing, so I was just curious to see how they are viewed by the collecting community. After Mantle, I personally have a tough time differentiating/separating one from another. So, how does everyone rank the following 1950s stars, from most desirable to least desirable in regards to collectability. Thanks!

Ted Williams
Sandy Koufax
Roberto Clemente
Mickey Mantle
Hank Aaron
Willie Mays
Jackie Robinson

For me:

Clemente
Williams
Aaron
Mantle