PDA

View Full Version : W514 type set

darwinbulldog
03-23-2016, 03:07 PM
Here is my latest collecting accomplishment, with special thanks to Leon, ErikV, and Bob Lemke for their assistance in putting together this W514 family, possibly for the first time.

53Browns
03-23-2016, 03:19 PM
Very nice Glenn!

Zach Wheat
03-23-2016, 04:18 PM
Nice Glenn. Any commentary on the advertising backs?

Z

shernan30
03-23-2016, 06:45 PM
Nice Type Set!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac927
03-24-2016, 06:39 AM
Very Cool! There is a horizontal stamp variation of mothers bread W514 if you want to get really technical! But awesome collection!

Brian

Jobu
03-24-2016, 06:47 AM
Nice Glenn! Which one was the final piece of the puzzle?

darwinbulldog
03-24-2016, 08:00 AM
Very Cool! There is a horizontal stamp variation of mothers bread W514 if you want to get really technical! But awesome collection!

Brian

There are 6 known copies of the Hendler's cards -- and each one of them has a different back, so a master set is pretty much out of the question (though I'll be happy to keep adding them if anyone has them for sale). Mine, formerly Leon's, seems to be the only one with an apostrophe in "Hendler's."

I estimate there are about 5 surviving examples each of Barker Bread and Mother's Bread, not to be confused with D303 Mothers' [plural] Bread. Is that your card? Who's on the front? I haven't ever seen the horizontal Mother's ad before, but I'd love to examine it.

The H.A. Robinson is the one I just picked up. It's one of two known examples with the Robinson ad, the other being Eddie Cicotte.

Bob Lemke has blogged about all of them in the past, and he's certainly more of an expert than I, so I would just recommend his blog to anyone who may be interested in further details.

http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2009/08/standard-catalog-update-14-ad-back.html
http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2009/08/last-time-around-we-presented-couple-of.html
http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2015/11/legitimacy-confirmed-of-w514-ha.html

ValKehl
03-24-2016, 11:35 AM
Glenn,
Great run of W514 ad backs!

FYI, a group of 30 W514 cards with Mother's Bread backs, including 4 horizontal cards, were auctioned a couple of weeks ago by a local auction house in Hagerstown, MD. Here's the link to this auction - see lots #26 - #55:
http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/photopanel.cgi?listingid=2650996&category=0&zip=&kwd=

Although I live fairly close to Hagerstown, I was out of town and unable to attend this auction. Fortunately, another Net54er who did attend this auction picked up the Sam Rice card for me to go with my Hendlers Ice Cream card of Rice (the one pictured in Lemke's blog). Now then, all I need to find are the Barker Bread and H.A. Robinson cards of Rice!
Val

darwinbulldog
03-24-2016, 11:55 AM
Whoa! Well that certainly changes things. I'm gonna have to start following AuctionZip I guess. If that same forum member who picked up the Sam Rice bought any more of them, please convey my interest.

Glenn,
Great run of W514 ad backs!

FYI, a group of 30 W514 cards with Mother's Bread backs, including 4 horizontal cards, were auctioned a couple of weeks ago by a local auction house in Hagerstown, MD. Here's the link to this auction - see lots #26 - #55:
http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/photopanel.cgi?listingid=2650996&category=0&zip=&kwd=

Although I live fairly close to Hagerstown, I was out of town and unable to attend this auction. Fortunately, another Net54er who did attend this auction picked up the Sam Rice card for me to go with my Hendlers Ice Cream card of Rice (the one pictured in Lemke's blog). Now then, all I need to find are the Barker Bread and H.A. Robinson cards of Rice!
Val

darwinbulldog
03-24-2016, 12:20 PM
Now then, all I need to find are the Barker Bread and H.A. Robinson cards of Rice!
Val

A new one turns up about every five years, and there are 120 cards in the W514 base set, so you know, just be patient. Seriously though I'll be happy to flip them to you if I ever acquire either one.

Leon
03-24-2016, 12:25 PM
Two board members showed me these before and after the auction. I didn't bid on any.
It is a classic example of the risks of paying the most for the rarest stuff. If I needed a type, I would have paid quite a bit; now probably wouldn't have to pay as much. It reminds me of T207 Red Crosses with one less digit of value.

Whoa! Well that certainly changes things. I'm gonna have to start following AuctionZip I guess. If that same forum member who picked up the Sam Rice bought any more of them, please convey my interest.

darwinbulldog
03-24-2016, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I think I might have just taken a bath on my own Buck Weaver but probably more of a light sponge bath compared to yours.

filmmaker
03-25-2016, 05:48 PM
I purchased a Miller Huggins, New York Yankees, W514 Card with Mother's Bread Back. I think its a sharp looking card with great color and a rare back variation.

ValKehl
03-25-2016, 07:47 PM
filmmaker,
Great pickup from the recent Hagerstown, MD, auction! Did you attend this auction in person? If so, please tell us about it, as there are some Net54ers who wished they had been able to attend.
Val

glenv
03-25-2016, 08:33 PM
Great cards! Especially the Robinson back. I hadn't seen that one before. Unfortunately my Barker Bread is barely there, but at least I found one.

225545 225546

225547 225548

Leon
03-26-2016, 09:03 AM
Nice cards Glen et al....I hadn't seen the Robinson back either. I am sure glad I'm not the "completist" type collector I was. :)

Great cards! Especially the Robinson back. I hadn't seen that one before. Unfortunately my Barker Bread is barely there, but at least I found one.

225545 225546

225547 225548

filmmaker
03-27-2016, 06:46 AM
filmmaker,
Great pickup from the recent Hagerstown, MD, auction! Did you attend this auction in person? If so, please tell us about it, as there are some Net54ers who wished they had been able to attend.
Val

I attended in person. I traveled a distance to try and buy some of the cards. Initially the photos didnt look right and they were selling a T206 Honus Wagner, but I wanted to go in person anyway. A lot of the cards that were sold, prior to the Mother's Bread cards, were bad reprints. I got there and the auction set-up was completely a joke. I could not inspect the cards at all. They had an auctioneer in the back selling office supplies, and the main auctioneer was selling coins. They didnt have enough staff or the auction set-up to allow bidders to inspect the cards during the sale. I think a lot of people were mad.
But as for the auction, it was a complete gamble...a shot in the dark. However, the prices for the MB cards were strong. I was only able to buy the Miller Huggins

ValKehl
04-04-2016, 09:31 PM
The Mother's Bread - Sam Rice arrived today, thanks again to Peter F.

darwinbulldog
11-27-2018, 07:39 AM
It's about time for an update here. I've added these to my W514 types collection. The known backs include Barker Bread, Robinson Cruso Peanuts, Mother's Bread (portrait orientation), Mother's Bread (landscape orientation), and six different versions of Hendlers Ice Cream. Altogether I've seen about 50 total ad-back W514s come up for auction over the years (most of which were in the Hagerstown Mother's Lode).

They're all tough, but if we break it down by subtypes, these are the population figures or estimates for each of them:

A) Hendlers/Hendler's types [1 of each known]
B) Robinson Cruso [2 known]
C) Mother's Bread (landscape oriented text) [5-10]
D) Barker Bread [20-30]
E) Mother's Bread (portrait oriented text) [40-50]

If anyone has a Hendlers, Cruso, Mother's (landscape), or a Barker without significant paper loss on the back, I'm interested in buying or trading or just seeing them posted here.

Cozumeleno
11-27-2018, 09:40 AM
In case anyone is working on a checklist or anything, here is my 'barely there' Barker Bread of Larry Kopf

brianp-beme
11-27-2018, 09:43 AM
Congrats on all these tough W514 type cards, most of which I have only occasionally have seen available.

To be complete would you also need to have the W514 cards that have a Fleer back?

Brian

darwinbulldog
11-27-2018, 09:50 AM
Fleer is W515, but I've got one of them too.

brianp-beme
11-27-2018, 12:07 PM
Fleer is W515, but I've got one of them too.

Not only are you correct, but I was wrong...a winning combo! Nice Fleer back card.

Would we both be correct if we were to state that the Fleer is the only back besides blank in both the W515-1 and W515-2 sets?

Brian

Cozumeleno
11-27-2018, 12:49 PM
There's at least one more - Jersey Ice Cream (https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-cards/singles-pre-1930-/1923-jersey-ice-cream-w515-2-eddie-collins-58-sgc-35-good-25/a/7116-79462.s). Not sure how many others (if any) exist, though.

Not only are you correct, but I was wrong...a winning combo! Nice Fleer back card.

Would we both be correct if we were to state that the Fleer is the only back besides blank in both the W515-1 and W515-2 sets?

Brian

darwinbulldog
11-27-2018, 02:01 PM
Fleer and Jersey are the only two I know of.

Leon
11-28-2018, 10:26 AM
If anyone is keeping track, I have Gandil and Bush W514's with barely legible, but definitely, Barker Bread stamps on their backs.