PDA

View Full Version : 2 completely different shades?

irv
03-17-2016, 03:06 PM
Just had these $3-$4.00 dollar cards delivered the other day and I immediately noticed the different color variations on the back.

Of all the 52 Topps cards I own, none are as light as this, Joe Muir card.

All my cards, for the most part look like the Sheldon Jones card, maybe a tad lighter but that is all.

And although I don't have any cards in the Gray Backs number range, I really think, if I did, it would be difficult to distinguish them apart from the others I own.

Can anyone explain this severe color variation, especially since both these cards are so close together numerically?

Vintagevault13
03-17-2016, 03:14 PM
52's in that series have cream-colored backs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ALR-bishop
03-17-2016, 06:42 PM
Many Topps sets have different series cards with different stock backs, and some series have two different stock backs within a series. In most sets there is only a minor difference in price among the different colored backs. Only in 52 ( cards 131 to 190) and 54 (1-50) is there a large premium for the gray backs. In some set series, the white backs can be the scarcer variety, but only in 52 and 54 is the disparity between the different stocks so great. Almost any Topps resource site for sets like 52, 54, 56, 59 will give a description of the back differences in the set. Get a used SCD Standard Catalog

irv
03-17-2016, 10:46 PM
Many Topps sets have different series cards with different stock backs, and some series have two different stock backs within a series. In most sets there is only a minor difference in price among the different colored backs. Only in 52 ( cards 131 to 190) and 54 (1-50) is there a large premium for the gray backs. In some set series, the white backs can be the scarcer variety, but only in 52 and 54 is the disparity between the different stocks so great. Almost any Topps resource site for sets like 52, 54, 56, 59 will give a description of the back differences in the set. Get a used SCD Standard Catalog

Thanks, ALR.

From the reading I've done regarding Gray backs, they also state the front of the card is also different.
Like this one, sort of a washed/faded/cream color to it. When I was just looking into Gray backs, I never realized the fronts are likely different as well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-Eddie-Miksis-172-RARE-GRAY-BACK-/121925911892?hash=item1c6359c554:g:nSoAAOSwvgdW6Kd Y

ALR-bishop
03-18-2016, 08:45 AM
I think you will only find that true of the 52 gray backs which is part of the mystery and debate about their origin.