PDA

View Full Version : 1951 Bowman Willie Mays

JoeyFarino
03-16-2016, 03:52 PM
Does this card still have more room for growth or do you think prices are topped out?

pokerplyr80
03-16-2016, 04:16 PM
An iconic card that in my opinion is still under appreciated, along with the 51 Mantle. I think both have room to grow despite recent runups. Mid grade examples are still good deals on both cards.

itjclarke
03-17-2016, 12:53 AM
I vote growth too, across all grades. Although maybe not meteoric like the Mick, Mays, along with Aaron seem to have been experiencing steady growth for a while now.

Rookiemonster
03-17-2016, 08:27 AM
I think so ! It's a card that must be being horaded because I rarely see it . It's almost a joke at the price it is now . I think the Mays card is part of the reason the 51 mantle is not taking off . Imagine if the 51 mantle started to really sky rocket in price . And the Mays stayed how it is .

The entire 1951 Bowman set is oddly priced . The bill dickey , Frankie Frisch are high numbers but have the same price as Duke snider . Whitey ford rookie sells so cheap most of the time . I really don't get how it sells for what it does and the price remains the same .

What would the mantle and Mays sell for if they were in the first series ? The entire set needs to be repriced .

1952boyntoncollector
03-17-2016, 11:38 AM
I vote growth too, across all grades. Although maybe not meteoric like the Mick, Mays, along with Aaron seem to have been experiencing steady growth for a while now.

The 1951 Mays can compete with the 1951 Mantle because they are both rookies and there is no Magic 1952 Topps Mays like the Mantle.......so the 1951 Mays is going to exceed or be very close to its 1952 topps version.......there are people that are topps only guys because thats what they collected when kids..but now looking at all the prewar non topps cards they are starting to dig into non Topps cards.......people are starting to treat the bowman mays rookie as a real rookie (in terms of pricing) and not the First Topps card....i never seen a 'first bowman card' designation..only with topps