PDA

View Full Version : T213 soaking

JollyRoger
03-15-2016, 04:25 PM
Just wanted to share this card I soaked yesterday. I think I ended up with decent results...

irv
03-15-2016, 04:42 PM
That turned out really good imo.

I assume just some warm water and some time?

kmac32
03-15-2016, 06:42 PM
Very nice

brianp-beme
03-15-2016, 09:31 PM
Looks nice, but is the glossy surface still intact on front? The cards I had the worst, most damaging experience soaking in the past were the V61 Neilson set. Because of the ultra-resistant glue used to attach them to the scrapbook paper, I had to soak them extra long, and the glossy surfaces on the front disappeared or hazed over. A nightmare.

I always thought the glossy surface of the T213-2 issue was one of the neat qualities that help separate and distinguish it from the T206 set.

Brian

RCMcKenzie
03-15-2016, 10:06 PM
Here's the Davis I soaked in hot water...The e90-1 that I soaked the same way at the same time turned out great...I don't have the before pic, but the Davis front was nice with a back with Scotch tape and notebook paper.

brianp-beme
03-15-2016, 10:12 PM
Ouch...that haze looks just like how some of the V61's ended up. I guess the OP probably was fortunate.

Brian

JollyRoger
03-16-2016, 10:43 AM
I assume just some warm water and some time?

I used warm water. Only let it soak for a couple hours, just long enough for the paper to lift off the back easily.

JollyRoger
03-16-2016, 10:54 AM
Looks nice, but is the glossy surface still intact on front?

The soaking does not appear to have affected the glossy front. I only let it soak for a couple hours though. I usually soak overnight, but as soon as the excess paper floated off, I removed the card from the water. I was concerned about the gloss, I've heard stories about gloss on cards not holding up very well when soaking. I know it did not improve the card's technical grade, but it looks a lot better now!

irv
03-16-2016, 12:01 PM
The soaking does not appear to have affected the glossy front. I only let it soak for a couple hours though. I usually soak overnight, but as soon as the excess paper floated off, I removed the card from the water. I was concerned about the gloss, I've heard stories about gloss on cards not holding up very well when soaking. I know it did not improve the card's technical grade, but it looks a lot better now!

I have briefly read about soaking cards on here but I don't recall reading where it took a couple hours, let alone overnight?

I thought it would take 15 minutes, maybe a half hour tops, but I guess that all depends on the glue used prior?

When you say overnight, I have a hard time understanding that the card wouldn't be completely saturated and most likely destroyed?

I will say, you guys are braver than me as I have no plans, not that my cards need them anyways, to ever soak cards.

JollyRoger
03-17-2016, 12:32 AM
When you say overnight, I have a hard time understanding that the card wouldn't be completely saturated and most likely destroyed?

Had to let this one soak overnight. That junk was really stuck on there. Card was fine afterward. Cleaned up the front really well too. This was a few years ago and I seem to have lost the front pics.

irv
03-17-2016, 02:12 PM
Had to let this one soak overnight. That junk was really stuck on there. Card was fine afterward. Cleaned up the front really well too. This was a few years ago and I seem to have lost the front pics.

I never would have guessed that. Figured they would be a sloppy saturated mess and nearly impossible to pick up/retrieve from the water bowl?

When you say "cleaned up the front" I assume, by just soaking them, that it dissolved some dirt/crud and literally just washed it away or did you wipe/wash them?

Leon
03-18-2016, 12:06 PM

I have had similar success on many different cards. Thanks for sharing ....