PDA

View Full Version : Autograph on cards question

anagle
03-13-2016, 01:18 PM
I am a newbie and would appreciate advice regarding autographs on cards. I am planning to attend a card show next weekend in Chicago and noticed that Montana, Jim Brown and Schmidt will be signing. I have each of their rookie cards - Montana PSA 8, Brown PSA 4 and Schmidt (not graded with crease probably PSA 2 or 3) - and am considering breaking the slabs, getting them signed and then submit to PSA.
First question - is this a good idea? does if increase or decrease the value of the card? I will have to pay about $200 autograph fees + grading/shipping fees to PSA. For the Montana, is it better to pickup a low grade card to get signed or would you crack the 8??? When submitting to PSA, would you also grade the card (red label) or autograph only??
IMO it would be cool to meet them in person and get their auto on their rookie card but I don't want to do anything that would devalue the card if in the future i try to sell. is there a market for autographed cards? Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to response.

swarmee
03-13-2016, 01:58 PM
There is definitely a demand for signed rookie cards. PSA has a set registry for exactly this type of card. It is becoming more and more common to have Hall of Famers sign rookie cards, since this no longer is considered damage by most buyers, rather than an improvement to the card.

Your best bet for pricing is to look at recent sales on eBay or with Worthpoint.

http://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/composite.aspx?c=9788

http://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/composite.aspx?c=11956

Rookiemonster
03-13-2016, 02:37 PM
You can more likely be able to get the card off eBay . After signing fees authentication fees and shipping fees .

pokerplyr80
03-13-2016, 04:41 PM
I don't know how the math would work out but since PSA is now grading the card and auto separately it would add value to the psa 8 Montana to get it signed. If it kept the 8 with a 10 auto it could be worth more than you spent on the card and signing and grading fees. Either way it would be a cool card. My opinion would be the nicer the card you can have signed the better.

Bestdj777
03-13-2016, 05:07 PM
I agree somewhat with Jesse. If you are going to pay all that to have them signed, they should be presentable cards. I had Ryan and Koosman sign their rookie cards, but did it with a pretty creased card. I wish I'd gone with something in the 3-4 range now as it would have been a much better looking display piece. At the end of the day, no real opinion on the cost side of thing though. I couldn't imagine you'd be able to get back what you put into it though, but the experience may be worth it if you like the guys?

mrmopar
03-13-2016, 05:16 PM
I have not had too many cards signed myself, but have always been a fan of the best card signed. Vintage and in good condition is always better in my mind. If the card is scarce, consider how much more scarce a signed copy will be!

Beater cards and the collector issue type cards are OK signed, but they just don't have the appeal of a better, older card.

DBesse27
03-13-2016, 09:14 PM
Getting signed RCs is a great idea, but I agree with others that they should definitely be nice copies. I'm sure your Montana will look awesome. Sounds like you should aim for a nicer Schmidt. And maybe a 74 Topps, since he shares the 73?

Abeabe
03-17-2016, 03:18 PM
I wouldn't break a slabbed card out, buy an ungraded one off eBay or at the show.