PDA

View Full Version : N172 Jack McQuaid Question

RaidonCollects
03-12-2016, 09:42 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm doing some research for a article I'm writing about pre-war umpire cards, and I came across the card attached:

It pictures Jack McQuaid a umpire and player, this is one of the scarce no-numbered Old Judge cards, but several sources have indicated that this is McQuaid.

He appears to be in a player's uniform plus he is shown catching a ball. Baseball Reference does not show that he played at any point from 1887-89.

My question to you is: Is this considered a umpire card?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

-Owen:)

EDIT: Also if anyone knows of the existence of a 4th Wallace Fessenden card, please let me know, here are the ones I'm aware of:
-Hands behind Back
-Arms folded
-Hand on knee

Note: This isn't my card or my picture.

IMAXMAX
03-12-2016, 11:15 AM
hi Owen---
great research topic....I'd love to see a list of all the Pre-Ump cards you discover,,,good luck with it all!
-Daniel

spec
03-12-2016, 11:28 AM
The Old Judge card you showed is of James McQuaid, a player with the Denver team. We know of 4 poses of this player. The umpire was John (Jack) McQuaid, who has only 1 known Old Judge pose. As for Fessenden, he has a 4th pose, standing with arms at his side. All this information is readily available in the seminal tome The Photographic Baseball Cards of the Goodwin & Company (1886-1890) by hobby scholars Jay Miller, Joe Gonsowski and Richard Masson.

Hi everyone,

I'm doing some research for a article I'm writing about pre-war umpire cards, and I came across the card attached:

It pictures Jack McQuaid a umpire and player, this is one of the scarce no-numbered Old Judge cards, but several sources have indicated that this is McQuaid.

He appears to be in a player's uniform plus he is shown catching a ball. Baseball Reference does not show that he played at any point from 1887-89.

My question to you is: Is this considered a umpire card?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

EDIT: Also if anyone knows of the existence of a 4th Wallace Fessenden card, please let me know, here are the ones I'm aware of:
-Hands behind Back
-Arms folded
-Hand on knee

Note: This isn't my card or my picture.

RaidonCollects
03-12-2016, 11:49 AM
The Old Judge card you showed is of James McQuaid, a player with the Denver team. We know of 4 poses of this player. The umpire was John (Jack) McQuaid, who has only 1 known Old Judge pose. As for Fessenden, he has a 4th pose, standing with arms at his side. All this information is readily available in the seminal tome The Photographic Baseball Cards of the Goodwin & Company (1886-1890) by hobby scholars Jay Miller, Joe Gonsowski and Richard Masson.

Thank you so much! I'll have to get that book, then.

Joe_G.
03-12-2016, 12:08 PM
Hello Bob!

Owen, Jack McQuaid is a tough N172 card. Jack's card was first issued in 1888 with a nameplate that reads "JACK McQUAID, Umpire American Association" and then re-issued in 1889 with an updated nameplate that read simply "McQUAID, Umpire" but he was then working the NL circuit (league change between 1888 & 1889).

The Denver player is actually Mortimer Martin "Mart" McQuaid (not James). This is a correction to the book due to fine research by Scot Reader.

Back to Umpire McQuaid, he is also shown on OJ card 309-4; posed behind Chippy McGarr (not my card).

http://sterlingsportsauctions.com/ItemImages/000019/19775a_lg.jpeg

oldjudge
03-12-2016, 12:57 PM
Bob is way to kind. He has forgotten more than we will ever know. As for the project, there is another umpire card in the set--Kelly. He is the same person who is listed as manager of Louisville. There are also some players in the set who also umpired at some point in their life, the most famous of which is HOFer Hank O'Day. Good luck with the project.

RaidonCollects
03-12-2016, 01:03 PM
Hello Bob!

Owen, Jack McQuaid is a tough N172 card. Jack's card was first issued in 1888 with a nameplate that reads "JACK McQUAID, Umpire American Association" and then re-issued in 1889 with an updated nameplate that read simply "McQUAID, Umpire" but he was then working the NL circuit (league change between 1888 & 1889).

The Denver player is actually Mortimer Martin "Mart" McQuaid (not James). This is a correction to the book due to fine research by Scot Reader.

Back to Umpire McQuaid, he is also shown on OJ card 309-4; posed behind Chippy McGarr (not my card).

http://sterlingsportsauctions.com/ItemImages/000019/19775a_lg.jpeg

Thank you!!!

Thank you so much for helping me with my article, so here is the checklist of N172 Umpires I have at the moment:

#NNO Wallace Fessenden - Arms by side.
#NNO Wallace Fessenden - Arms folded.
#NNO Wallace Fessenden - Hand on knee.
#NNO Wallace Fessenden - Hands behind back.
#NNO “Honest John” Kelly - Looking at approaching ball “Ass.”
#NNO “Honest John” Kelly - Looking at approaching ball “Ass’n.”
#NNO “Honest John” Kelly w/ Powell
#NNO Jack McQuaid - Nameplate: “McQuaid, Umpire American Association.”
#NNO Jack McQuaid - Nameplate: “McQuaid, Umpire.”
#NNO Chippy McGarr w/ Jack McQuaid - McGarr/Umpire

Thank you so much again, and I hope you don't mind me using your information for my article.

Thanks,

Owen:)