PDA

View Full Version : My Grandfather - J. J. Verona

John V
03-11-2016, 10:20 AM
While researching my grandfather, John J. Verona, I found these photos in the September 3, 1922 Pittsburgh Gazette Times. He was a public figure in the 20s & 30s and sponsored local baseball, football & basketball teams for a number of years. I wasn't expecting to see pictures with our name on the uniform. So now, as you might imagine, I will forever be on the lookout for any related memorabilia. What are the odds of a photograph or uniform surviving?
Is there any chance any of you, especially those in the Pittsburgh area, have seen or heard of anything?
Thanks, John V

horzverti
03-11-2016, 10:59 AM
Very neat connection to your Grandfather. I will keep your name in mind in case I run across anything related. Great community we have here. Thanks for sharing.

jerseygary
03-11-2016, 12:34 PM
That's really great you found that. I'd love to see a vintage photo with my name "CIERADKOWSKI" across the front, but that ain't gonna happen.

If I were you I'd contact Jerry at Ebbets Field Flannels. If you've never heard of them, they make beautiful reproduction flannel jerseys, ad most importantly they can make any flannel you want, including the one in your photo.

vintagesportscollector
03-11-2016, 01:47 PM
Very Cool John!!

sbfinley
03-11-2016, 10:59 PM
. What are the odds of a photograph or uniform surviving?

My mother's side of the family has operated a Funeral Home since 1913 here in rural Middle Tennessee. My cousin, who is being groomed to continue the family business began collecting funeral ephemera a couple years back (I collect baseball cards, haven't got room to pick at him) and he found another funeral collector in Georgia who had a Baseball jersey of a team our family sponsored in the 30's which he found a swap meet in South Carolina. So yes, you never know where one might pop up.

John V
03-23-2016, 04:56 AM
The chairman of the Pittsburgh area chapter of SABR has offered to forward the story to their membership. We'll see.

DixieBaseball
03-30-2016, 08:12 AM
The chairman of the Pittsburgh area chapter of SABR has offered to forward the story to their membership. We'll see.

John - That's cool. Best of Luck in your search. I imagine one of those jersey's has survived as well as a cap.

Just having the pic from the paper is pretty darn cool.

John V
12-11-2016, 12:43 PM
Season's Greetings & Bump...
I've checked with several libraries and museums, but nothing.
I'm hoping someone on the board can help.

John V
06-09-2017, 03:55 PM
Bump...I hope this is not too soon since the last bump.

Bestdj777
06-09-2017, 08:25 PM
Bump...I hope this is not too soon since the last bump.

Once every seven months seems a bit excessive :). You got my hopes up that'd you'd found one. Might sound silly, but I'd add your name to the title to increase the chances of someone doing research on a jersey finding your post.

John V
06-10-2017, 05:59 AM
That's a great suggestion. Thanks.
DONE!