PDA

View Full Version : Bryce Harper

Snapolit1
03-10-2016, 11:58 AM
“Baseball’s tired,” he says. “It’s a tired sport, because you can’t express yourself. You can’t do what people in other sports do. I’m not saying baseball is, you know, boring or anything like that, but it’s the excitement of the young guys who are coming into the game now who have flair. If that’s Matt Harvey or Jacob deGrom or Manny Machado or Joc Pederson or Andrew McCutchen or Yasiel Puig — there’s so many guys in the game now who are so much fun."

I think he's pretty spot on. Baseball's history and traditions are awesome, and I love it as much as anybody, but I'm so sick and tired of some stiff smug guy, self-appointed maintainer of decorum of unwritten rules, bitching about how someone threw the wrong pitch up by 7 runs or smiled running around the bases . . . .bla bla bla. I though Bautista's famous bat flip last year was awesome. Let's show some emotion where it's warranted. So much for all these stupid unwritten rules.

Rich Klein
03-10-2016, 12:01 PM
Re: Bat Flip

Take a good look at Hosmer's Big Hit in the World Series last year. He had a heck of a bat flip and NO ONE said a word.

ullmandds
03-10-2016, 12:35 PM
i agree with the op...baseball needs an adrenaline shot...maybe bryce or some of these other exciting youngsters are the one(s) to do it!

itjclarke
03-10-2016, 12:46 PM
I take a slightly different view. I love that there are still plenty of old school enforcers and that there are plenty of younger, flashier players. The clash between the two styles makes for compelling viewing.

I won't begin to argue the merits of baseball's unwritten rules. I think they're so often inconsistent and contradictory, but this rift between old and new does a lot to keep the on field tensions high, which I think further fuels in game/season/rivalry competiveness. I like that there's still at least a little anger left in the game... And an occasional "reason" for a pitcher to knock someone down.

Mountaineer1999
03-10-2016, 12:47 PM
Yeah lets turn baseball into the NBA and get some music and lights going between pitches! Maybe even get the Lakers Girls to become Dodgers Girls and work the foul lines. Baseball is fine the way it is.. why does everything need to be recreated? There is plenty of fire and emotion in the game. The NBA stinks, I think the NFL stinks and is boring. Leave baseball alone, why mess with tradition.

Peter_Spaeth
03-10-2016, 12:49 PM
The celebrations in other sports especially basketball and football are out of control. Celebrating a damn free throw. Celebrating a layup when your team is down by 25. Or a sack when your team is long since out of the game. Every play, it seems sometimes. I think baseball is the right mix of decorum with the occasional spontaneous demonstration for an appropriately big moment.

Kco
03-10-2016, 12:50 PM
I'm a diehard Baseball guy but I am fully for guys being fired up, he's 100% right that the game needs more fire and emotion!

Hankphenom
03-10-2016, 01:06 PM
How about just running out your plays, Bryce? That would make me more excited about you. Oh, and baseball is doing better than ever, by the way. If you're bored, please go do something else, it doesn't need you. Really.

vintagetoppsguy
03-10-2016, 01:12 PM
Yeah lets turn baseball into the NBA and get some music and lights going between pitches! Maybe even get the Lakers Girls to become Dodgers Girls and work the foul lines. Baseball is fine the way it is.. why does everything need to be recreated? There is plenty of fire and emotion in the game. The NBA stinks, I think the NFL stinks and is boring. Leave baseball alone, why mess with tradition.

How about just running out your plays, Bryce? That would make me more excited about you. Oh, and baseball is doing better than ever, by the way. If you're bored, please go do something else, it doesn't need you. Really.

+1 to both of these comments

Rich Klein
03-10-2016, 01:14 PM
Laker Girls coming to Baseball. I'm IN for more viewing :D

Snapolit1
03-10-2016, 01:18 PM
"Baseball is fine the way it is.. why does everything need to be recreated?"

Maybe that's true for 50 year old men. I have two boys who I have to drag to a baseball game . . . .yet they play baseball for hours on end with their xbox . . . .

I agree the celebrating in basketball and football has gone way over the top. But baseball is way too far in the other direction. When a guy hits a home run in a championship game and people bitch about a bat flip . . . c'mon . . . .

The Hispanic players play in the winter leagues and its amazing to see the celebrating on the field, the clowning around, the sheer joy. Maybe we don't need all of that in the major leagues but a dose would be fun. Ditto for the Korean professional leagues.

You know who was the biggest showboat in the history of the game. Babe Ruth of course. He would talk trash to half the infield while he was circling the bases. For some reason no one has ever called him out as the poster boy for bad on field behavior.

sbfinley
03-10-2016, 01:38 PM

The knock on him his first two years was that he continually tried to make plays when nothing was there and would nick himself up. He failed to run one ball out in August of a disappointing season which led to a brawl with one of the biggest knuckleheads in the game. And the reason baseball is on the uptick is because it has the greatest influx of young talent the game has seen since the 1950's. Harper is at the top of the list and arguably one of the three most important players in the game. I'm all for the "un-written rules" debate and personally feel the game could use a little of both sides of the argument, but to slam Harper for a lack of hustle implies you haven't watched him at all.

Hot Springs Bathers
03-10-2016, 01:39 PM
Babe Ruth talking trash to half the infield? Other than the called shot in 1932 when retaliating for the Mark Koenig snubs I don't think that Ruth did much out-of-line on the field? He did jab at the Cubs as he circled the bases that day.

I just put in a quick call to one of Ruth's best biographers and one of my SABR buddies he said no way.

I think baseball does lack some color but it comes from the business like way many of the guys play the game. In the 1930's and 40's you had guys coming from tough times, baseball was a relief from everyday life where their fathers worked in the fields or the mines.

Now many American players are bred for the game much like tennis kids or golf kids. Parents take them to hitting or pitching coaches everyday or they hit in cages after school each day. The days are gone where a kid just comes from nowhere to the bigs. Harper is is the poster child for this type of player along with Heyward. Their stories have been told over and over on the air and in print.

The latin players today are reflective of the old school American players of the early days of the game save the steroid influence in many of their countries.

Peter_Spaeth
03-10-2016, 01:42 PM
I don't mind the occasional celebration of a big moment like the Bautista bat flip, but if hitters made a regular practice of showing up pitchers, or vice versa, I would not care for that. Can you imagine a pitcher running over to high five the shortstop after a key strikeout? Yuck.

Jantz
03-10-2016, 01:47 PM
Maybe that's true for 50 year old men. I have two boys who I have to drag to a baseball game . . . .yet they play baseball for hours on end with their xbox . . . .

Am I the only board member 50 years or older who got a chuckle out of this?

Dan Carson
03-10-2016, 01:49 PM
Let the pitchers and batters go at when the batter charges the mound?!:eek:

Mountaineer1999
03-10-2016, 01:50 PM

+1

irishdenny
03-10-2016, 02:01 PM

Actually, it was Only One Play...

How about we mention Him Running Through the Wall.
oR
Sliding Head 1st inta 3rd & tearing up his thumb cartilage.

The Guys a Phenomenon in the Making!

What he said has a bit of truth to it.
Maybe he's as tired of the Steroid era as most of us are...
Maybe He's a Kid that just loves the game as much as we do
& just wants ta have some fun!?

I don't really know... But it Sounds Good :)

sycks22
03-10-2016, 02:01 PM
The unwritten rules of baseball are what help keep it the national pastime. There are some unwritten rules that I don't agree with including: going hard into 2nd to break up a double play. It's the SS / 2B's responsibility to get out of the way as they know it's coming and people complain about the runner trying to help his team out. Another complaint is that a lot of people don't agree with a player bunting to break up a no hitter. Is it the opponents job to give up and be part of history in a negative way just to serve an unwritten rule? If you're not trying to win, why be out there? Just my 2 cents.

Filthy
03-10-2016, 02:14 PM
The NBA stinks, I think the NFL stinks and is boring. Leave baseball alone, why mess with tradition.

This opinion will come as an unpopular one...but as a whole...baseball fandom is very quickly fading away. Both of those leagues mentioned, continue to gain more and more of the share of viewers/supporters/fans. The median age of fans of Major League baseball, continues to increase, and are at an all time high..while the median age of the NFL and NBA fans continue to be stable, and relatively low in comparison.

A lot of us collect, because we love the game of baseball, and the history of the game. But todays generation couldn't care less about baseball. It's actually becoming pretty tough to find many under the age of 20, that even follow the MLB. This isn't an ultimate deciding factor...but, for comparison..25-30 years ago, you could walk into an elementary school and ask a bunch of kids who their favorite MLB player was..and 50 kids would quickly blurt out Mark McGwire, Ken Griffey Jr. Frank Thomas, etc.... But if you were to walk into an elementary school today, and ask the same question..very little, if any of them, could even give you a single name of a MLB player.

MLB, unlike the NBA and NFL has done a horrible job of marketing its individual players, and marquee teams over the past 15+ years. I'm afraid is finally starting to catch up to them, as the popularity of the game, will continue to dwindle. So, I can see why guys like Harper would make comments such as these...as the game needs a MAJOR shot of adrenalin.

itjclarke
03-10-2016, 02:19 PM

As I quickly approach 40, I'm not chuckling anymore:D, as I realize 50, 60, are right around the corner. Man it goes fast!!!

I get the kids argument, but aside from not fully grasping all the various intricacies of the game, I don't think I viewed and appreciated baseball much differently as a kid, as I do an adult. Not to be the "in my day" guy, but I do think with the advent of Sportscenter highlights, smartphones, internet, scrolling tickers on many TV stations, that overall attention spans and patience are dwindling these days... I think it's a bummer. As a young kid who played a lot of baseball, I loved watching the game as it was, without many frills. I loved its history ('86 WS and Curse of the Bambino hooked me forever), or the little tidbits my dad would feed me. As a player circled the bases after a HR, I may ask, "Why aren't they smiling Dad?"... "because they've done it before". I would then take those learned mannerisms (plus Will Clark's crazy facial expressions) back to little league, trying my hardest not to gush after a big hit, or great fielding play... trying my hardest not to smile when pitching to my best friend (usually we'd make it a pitch, and then start grinning.. I'd pull my bill low and try to hide it with my glove). It's all just part of the quirky personality of the game I loved then, and still love today.

That being said, I have no issue with genuine, non choreographed (unlike Prince Fielder dumbass "exploding" at home plate after a walk off vs Giants) celebration. I include Bautista's bat flip given the gravity and emotion of the moment... and I have no issue with all the old school red asses that get all hot and bothered by these antics. The game today has become a great world melting pot, a mix of personality and style, reverence for the past, and cap tipping respect to contemporaries (see Matheny to Bochy post 2014 NLCS). I love it all, and hope these aspect all remain in semi-balance to each other.

itjclarke
03-10-2016, 02:40 PM
as the game needs a MAJOR shot of adrenalin.

I agree in part, but think baseball made a lot of mistakes that go above and beyond the "style" of the game. I think it's poorly marketed itself for years, not fully capitalizing on its star power, and it's historical importance. I think things like interleague, though maybe temporarily raising interest levels for a week or two during the regular season (it barely tips the scale anymore) really undercut the overall interest/novelty/anticipation of the AS game and WS. In the past, these were the ONLY times the two leagues' players faced each other. I think baseball also fell victim to ESPN's every other Sunday Yankees v Red Sox hype machine, which lasted over a decade, and which turned a 3 hour game into a 4 hour game.. with extended commercial breaks, in game interviews, and players milking camera time. This in turn also lessened national interest in anything not NY, or Boston, which was nuts because there were always so many other potentially compelling match ups each year.

I think a shot of adrenalin may come in form of better marketing the game/players (Harper, Trout, Correa) especially those in mid/smaller markets, shortened commercial breaks... and very possibly also a growing interest in gambling related things like fantasy, and daily fantasy (if they survive). The NBA immediately jumped on board with daily fantasy and the NFL, however unpopular/hated the league itself is becoming, seems will be carried for years by growing interest in fantasy football. If baseball can latch onto something like that (sucks in lots of casual fans in office leagues, etc), maybe coupled with fewer parents allowing their kids to play football, perhaps its relevance regrows steadily. Even if not, local cable deals and per game ratings during the regular season are better than ever, and making owners more money than ever. It seems it's just the national audience for the postseason that's been hurting.

Rich Klein
03-10-2016, 02:45 PM
I'm old school in very many ways but I thought the Prince Fielder Walk off Celebration was one on the best things I ever saw in baseball. I much preferred that to Kendry Morales jumping wrong on home plate and missing 2 years of his career

Loosen up and have some fun

itjclarke
03-10-2016, 03:12 PM
I'm old school in very many ways but I thought the Prince Fielder Walk off Celebration was one on the best things I ever saw in baseball. I much preferred that to Kendry Morales jumping wrong on home plate and missing 2 years of his career

Loosen up and have some fun

I hated it in part because it was vs the Giants in the heart of a tough, eventually failed late season playoff push... but I also think many/most pre-rehearsed celebrations come across as lame. IMO, only a select few pull it off with the right style and tone... most just come across a baggy (TO running to the star or pulling out his sharpie, Joe Horn with his hidden cell phone in goal post--- very bad... Angry John Baldwin squatting and crapping the football after his SB TD--- vulgar... Chad Johnson legally changing his name to Ochocinco--- hilarious).

Of course, this is all a matter of personal opinion and no one is "right". I don't really care that people fall on different sides of this argument, nor do I hold varying opinions against anyone (please keep on loving Prince's explosion at home). I am happy to see the game is still relevant enough for this argument, and will say again, I think this style clash makes the game much more fun.

doug.goodman
03-10-2016, 03:29 PM

Agreed.

"Flashy" just means "craving attention" and in this era of social media, that's what everybody is all about. Sitting on the bench because you're not good enough to start? No problem, develop a dance routine for when the guys who are playing score, that will get you some attention.

I want to watch a baseball game. I don't care about the shopping mall / amusement park attached to the stadium, I don't care about all the crap about the "marketing" of individuals or of the sport itself, if you don't don't think baseball is "exciting enough", if you think a three hour game is "boring", good, go to a football game, enjoy all the hoopla "squeezed" into the three hours that it takes to play a game a game that has a clock that runs for four 15 minute quarters.

z28jd
03-10-2016, 03:35 PM
The ridiculous thing about Bautista's comments regarding the bat flip was that he legitimately made it a Latin thing, saying those players play with more flair, so American fans and players should just accept it.

As someone who has covered winter ball the last four years, the Latin players don't accept any showboating like he did. If he did that during a Dominican winter league game, he wouldn't have made it to first base without the benches clearing. Latin players in Mexico, Venezuela and the Dominican clear the benches over a lot less and they do it often. It's a 2-3 times a week occurrence.

So in reality, what he is saying by "accepting it" is I'm going to do it and we are going to fight over it.

clydepepper
03-10-2016, 03:38 PM
Adding flair and fire is fine with this 60-year-old...I just don't want to get to the point were taunting is tolerated...that's garbage!

I have never been one to believe in extended celebrations - at the plate -or anywhere else.

I keep going back to The Bard for advice...'The play is the thing'.

Tim Duncan & Barry Sanders come to mind when I think of professionalism.
The frequent excuse is 'it's a young man's game'. That's fine, but those instant millionaires need to show respect for those who came before - they would not be making so much if thousands before them had NOT made so much...THOSE guys made the game watchable.

doug.goodman
03-10-2016, 03:43 PM
... as the popularity of the game, will continue to dwindle...

Dwindling? 74,000,000 people went to MLB games last year...

Do you own the team? Then why do you care how many people are there?

A baseball game is a beautiful event meant to be enjoyed as it unfolds, whether there are 60 people in the stands or 60,000.

It's the only major professional team sport where the game isn't over until it's over, no matter how many runs you are getting beaten, it POSSIBLE for you to win. The 2004 Red Sox are a nice place to look.

Every other major professional team sport hits a point at nearly every game, where one team is done, and it is impossible for them to win, yet, the game continues.

itjclarke
03-10-2016, 03:58 PM
Agree with response to comment about "dwindling", I think this is probably overstated. Baseball has never been better attended, has never been more regularly viewed in teams' local markets, and has never made more money. I do still stand by my comments about reasons I think postseason ratings have dropped off, but think baseball is on to something with the single game wild card, and a 5 game LDS series in which 0-2 deficits have been overcome several times. More potential elimination games, better viewing for those folks whose team may no longer be in it.

I consider myself an old school fan, who as others have commented, will love the game regardless... but at the same time, hope baseball continues to draw in more casual & national audiences, without fundamentally changing what makes it great.

Jantz
03-10-2016, 04:27 PM
No matter what the sport, I say you let the scoreboard do the "talking".

Jose Bautista will fall in line with Robin Ventura.

When his baseball career is over, the only thing he will be remembered for was that bat flip. Just like Ventura is only remembered for the knuckle sandwich Nolan Ryan served him.

Snapolit1
03-10-2016, 04:35 PM
I was at Robin Ventura's walk off grand slam single for the Metros. An amazing moment at old Shea.

botn
03-10-2016, 06:04 PM
Seems Gossage is not too fond of the game today...
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/gossage-critical-bautista-cespedes-230042369--mlb.html

Mountaineer1999
03-10-2016, 06:07 PM
Seems Gossage is not too fond of the game today...
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/gossage-critical-bautista-cespedes-230042369--mlb.html

Goose going off on just about everything

ullmandds
03-10-2016, 07:16 PM
I don't mind the occasional celebration of a big moment like the Bautista bat flip, but if hitters made a regular practice of showing up pitchers, or vice versa, I would not care for that. Can you imagine a pitcher running over to high five the shortstop after a key strikeout? Yuck.

Agree...Goose is a tad bit out of control!!!!

Peter_Spaeth
03-10-2016, 07:41 PM

Do you own the team? Then why do you care how many people are there?

A baseball game is a beautiful event meant to be enjoyed as it unfolds, whether there are 60 people in the stands or 60,000.

It's the only major professional team sport where the game isn't over until it's over, no matter how many runs you are getting beaten, it POSSIBLE for you to win. The 2004 Red Sox are a nice place to look.

Every other major professional team sport hits a point at nearly every game, where one team is done, and it is impossible for them to win, yet, the game continues.

As Earl Weaver said, you can't run a play into the line and kill the clock. You've got to pitch to the other team and give them a chance. And I think he added, that's what's so great about this game.

Snapolit1
03-10-2016, 07:45 PM
. . . any minute someone will be quoting the old George Carlin Football and Baseball routine . . . .definitely a classic

Snapolit1
03-10-2016, 07:48 PM
Kind of telling that Gossage came up with two Hispanic players.

Maybe Gossage is only offended when people with brown skin celebrate too much.

packs
03-10-2016, 07:52 PM
To me if you win a game you have reason to celebrate. If you hit a homer in the third inning you can round the bases and sit down. I think a big moment deserves celebrating though and don't think there's anything wrong with it. When a closer wins the game I don't have a problem with some fist pumping.

Hankphenom
03-10-2016, 09:58 PM
The knock on him his first two years was that he continually tried to make plays when nothing was there and would nick himself up. He failed to run one ball out in August of a disappointing season which led to a brawl with one of the biggest knuckleheads in the game. And the reason baseball is on the uptick is because it has the greatest influx of young talent the game has seen since the 1950's. Harper is at the top of the list and arguably one of the three most important players in the game. I'm all for the "un-written rules" debate and personally feel the game could use a little of both sides of the argument, but to slam Harper for a lack of hustle implies you haven't watched him at all.

I must have watched him a lot more than you, or you would have seen what I have. The Papelbon incident was one of many like that, at bat and in the field. He hustles like crazy when he feels like it, but will also fail to run out a ground ball or fly ball, or fail to come in quickly to field a hit in the outfield, and some of them have cost the team bases in close games. This attitude started spreading among the Nationals, and I saw both Escobar and Ramos either fail to run out fly balls or go into a home run trot on balls that hit the wall and stayed in play. He won the MVP on stats, but he actually might have been the least valuable player in terms of team unity and cohesion. Harper's an enormous talent, but he seems to consider himself above the game. Most Nats fans are thrilled to have such an exciting young talent on their team, but I'd rather win.

egbeachley
03-10-2016, 10:08 PM

That's a 3% drop from 10 years ago even though the US population has increased 8% during that time.

Hankphenom
03-10-2016, 10:10 PM
Actually, it was Only One Play...

How about we mention Him Running Through the Wall.
oR
Sliding Head 1st inta 3rd & tearing up his thumb cartilage.

What he said has a bit of truth to it.
Maybe he's as tired of the Steroid era as most of us are...
Maybe He's a Kid that just loves the game as much as we do
& just wants ta have some fun!?

I don't really know... But it Sounds Good :)

Actually, it's been many plays he hasn't run out, or hasn't hustled to field, and it's cost the Nats bases in close games. Then this attitude started to spread to other players. An enormously talented team had a dysfunctional, poisonous season last year, and the most talented of them all just might be part of the reason.

sbfinley
03-10-2016, 10:19 PM
Actually, it's been many plays he hasn't run out, or hasn't hustled to field, and it's cost the Nats bases in close games. Then this attitude started to spread to other players. An enormously talented team had a dysfunctional, poisonous season last year, and the most talented of them all just might be part of the reason.

Hank,

We'll have to agree to disagree. Happy collecting.

“We're used to it,” said Ryan Zimmerman to Amanda Comak of the Washington Times following Monday's game. “I would rather him not go all-out into the wall, ever. But that's the way Bryce plays. That's the way he's always played, and I think some people look at it as a bad thing, maybe, and that's why people boo or don't like him. As a player and as someone who plays the game, if you play that hard every day, there's something to be said about that. And that's what Bryce does.”

irishdenny
03-10-2016, 11:11 PM

It's certainly funny how 2 Folks can Differ...
But I will certainly Bow ta Your expertise...
Seein how You & Bryce are both Phenom's :)
I've had a lot of fun watchin about 70% of Washington's games
& Trackin Harper's Day ta Day Performance
fir the Last 3 years. I somehow miss'd what You've mention'd :cool:

No Worries Aye... Just a Game ;)

Filthy
03-10-2016, 11:14 PM
Dwindling? 74,000,000 people went to MLB games last year... Yes, the overall interest of the game is dying. That's great that 74,000,000 people went games last year. The season ticket managers, and sports marketing teams, are doing a great job of getting local butts in the seats. But outside of the local markets that these teams play, there isn't much fanfare. You couldn't get kids these days to sit down and watch a game of baseball on TV...unless of course, you tempted them, with the newest Iphone or offered them money.

Do you own the team? Then why do you care how many people are there? I don't care how many fans are in the seats whether its sold out....or just a handful of people....... good or bad, its not a true reflection of the current trend in lack of interest to the game. It's about National as well as and Global interest, TV/ratings, Revenues, and marketing. And yes..you mentioned, that the mlb, leagues, and individual teams are making record amounts of money....but so is every other one of the Big 3 sports.

That's awesome that you have this great emotional attachment to baseball being a "beautiful event." It sounds like you truly have an understanding of the game, and appreciate the intricacy's and strategies that really does make it a great game. But I'm confident in saying, that because its not fun and interesting to the younger generation, that less and less people are watching, year after year. Its been a slow transition, but its picking up momentum. So, since less and less people are watching......there are that many less people who don't ever have the opportunity to "fall in love" with the game as you have over the years. So people like yourself who love the game, for the game itself will always say that its still a great game, and that's its relevant, and that it will always be "Americas past time." Unfortunately, You and those like you that are proabably40+ 50+ years of age, and/or people living in a local MLB market where there is some emotional attachment to a team, and to MLB baseball are the only ones still saying that. The rest of the Country no longer cares.

And I think its sad.

Louieman
03-10-2016, 11:36 PM
With my job I'm surrounded by young kids, and I can say with certainty across the board that baseball is absolutely in decline in terms of winning the attention of young people. Of course this is only my experience, but I feel confident in saying this observation is analogous to most of the country's youth.

That said, baseball is making so much money, I'm really not worried about it falling off the map anytime soon. But down the road is another story...

And with regards to what Harper said, I definitely agree that the sport needs to modernize, to ignite some more sparks. Speed up, even. But I don't think that acting like a douche like Harper does is the right way to do it. The dude doesn't even know how to pronounce "meme" correctly, how's he going to win over the youth?

chaddurbin
03-11-2016, 12:07 AM
This opinion will come as an unpopular one...but as a whole...baseball fandom is very quickly fading away. Both of those leagues mentioned, continue to gain more and more of the share of viewers/supporters/fans. The median age of fans of Major League baseball, continues to increase, and are at an all time high..while the median age of the NFL and NBA fans continue to be stable, and relatively low in comparison.

A lot of us collect, because we love the game of baseball, and the history of the game. But todays generation couldn't care less about baseball. It's actually becoming pretty tough to find many under the age of 20, that even follow the MLB. This isn't an ultimate deciding factor...but, for comparison..25-30 years ago, you could walk into an elementary school and ask a bunch of kids who their favorite MLB player was..and 50 kids would quickly blurt out Mark McGwire, Ken Griffey Jr. Frank Thomas, etc.... But if you were to walk into an elementary school today, and ask the same question..very little, if any of them, could even give you a single name of a MLB player.

MLB, unlike the NBA and NFL has done a horrible job of marketing its individual players, and marquee teams over the past 15+ years. I'm afraid is finally starting to catch up to them, as the popularity of the game, will continue to dwindle. So, I can see why guys like Harper would make comments such as these...as the game needs a MAJOR shot of adrenalin.

this is good stuff, and the hobby needs the younger people to care. you might've read the "hobby is dying" mantra in the 1930s, 1950s, 1970s, 1980s publications etc...but that was different the actual game was thriving. watchers' demographics keep going up...i see more erectyle dysfunction and bph ads within half an hour of a baseball game than an nba game's worth. instead of glorifying their stars baseball actively try to take them down with ped accusations and the like. too many unwritten rules started by white guys in the old day that want the game to still be played the white way.

i do have hope for manfred tho...i think he's a progressive commisioner.

Rich Klein
03-11-2016, 03:22 AM
One thing about the 74 million is those people are coming for the games for not only the games but also for the whole atmosphere of being at the game. There is so much going on now at a ballpark that the game is just part of the whole experience.

And if you look at the attendance figures back in the day when there was very little "flair" you will see most of these teams barely made 1 million fans.

I remember the Joe Horn cell phone game on ESPN and through it was hilarious. Look, the NFL has the nickname of the "No Fun League".

I know many of you hate to hear this -- and as someone who is old school in many ways -- there is trepidation in writing this -- but we need to accept the train has passed and these sports need to get more modern and with the times. And if you want baseball to get back in popular young culture to where it was, then accept the modern era. That's the way we'll get the kids back.

Regards
Rich

sycks22
03-11-2016, 06:47 AM
One thing about the 74 million is those people are coming for the games for not only the games but also for the whole atmosphere of being at the game. There is so much going on now at a ballpark that the game is just part of the whole experience.

And if you look at the attendance figures back in the day when there was very little "flair" you will see most of these teams barely made 1 million fans.

I remember the Joe Horn cell phone game on ESPN and through it was hilarious. Look, the NFL has the nickname of the "No Fun League".

I know many of you hate to hear this -- and as someone who is old school in many ways -- there is trepidation in writing this -- but we need to accept the train has passed and these sports need to get more modern and with the times. And if you want baseball to get back in popular young culture to where it was, then accept the modern era. That's the way we'll get the kids back.

Regards
Rich

Baseball is trying to get more modern every year. I recently heard that players can send instagram pictures of themselves while playing aka on deck while taking swings. It's sad that to keep up with the changing times baseball has to force its players to lose focus on the game itself and cater to the 8 year olds who already have 3 ipads and 5 cell phones

Rich Klein
03-11-2016, 07:15 AM
I also wanted to point out the difference in MMA vs. Boxing

I love Boxing but that was yesterday; MMA is today. Note the difference in the fan base and the ages. Again, look at all the flair in MMA.

Regards
Rich

Hot Springs Bathers
03-11-2016, 07:26 AM
As for declining interest I see a change in the positive direction. I have served on the board of our Boys & Girls Club for 20 years, we are the local baseball program.

Our numbers dipped a decade ago and now they are soaring again. We started a Fall baseball league about 5 years ago and we have to force them to end it at the end of October so the fields can rest.

We hear over and over again from parents that they want to keep them in baseball to stay away from football. I have heard for all of those 20 years that soccer is coming on and it will replace baseball. Baseball numbers here in the south are a multiple of soccer. I attended a high school soccer game last year and their were 30 people in the stands and all of the moms were on their phones or reading a magazine.

Youth baseball including the travel teams, or as I like to call them "buy your kid a position teams" are growing each year.

Baseball is alive and well.

vintagetoppsguy
03-11-2016, 07:30 AM

LOL, I love how that word is thrown around. I'm pretty sure they said the same thing about his teammate, Stephen Strasburg. How's that working out?

Rich Klein
03-11-2016, 08:03 AM
As for declining interest I see a change in the positive direction. I have served on the board of our Boys & Girls Club for 20 years, we are the local baseball program.

Our numbers dipped a decade ago and now they are soaring again. We started a Fall baseball league about 5 years ago and we have to force them to end it at the end of October so the fields can rest.

We hear over and over again from parents that they want to keep them in baseball to stay away from football. I have heard for all of those 20 years that soccer is coming on and it will replace baseball. Baseball numbers here in the south are a multiple of soccer. I attended a high school soccer game last year and their were 30 people in the stands and all of the moms were on their phones or reading a magazine.

Youth baseball including the travel teams, or as I like to call them "buy your kid a position teams" are growing each year.

Baseball is alive and well.

Mike:

I remember when I met you back in 2004, the baseball program was really suffering because of the "elite travel" teams. I'm glad to hear that baseball is coming back in Arkansas.

Soccer is also a great sport for kids, but doing headers is proving to be another cause of CTE. As baseball is proven, for the most part, to be the safest of the major sports, then you will continue to see a resurgence.

And letting the kids be more modern will help as well

Rich

jkray25
03-11-2016, 08:15 AM
All this talk about Harper...what's he won? NL mvp last year (granted he was raking most of the year) and some other ancillary awards but before that, what else?

IMO trout is overall a better player, plays hard and coincidentally you don't hear much about him do you?

A shame that a drama queen gets to be the face of the young generation.

Maybe that sentiment is due to him being hyped since he was in high school...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

ullmandds
03-11-2016, 08:19 AM
All this talk about Harper...what's he won? NL mvp last year (granted he was raking most of the year) and some other ancillary awards but before that, what else?

IMO trout is overall a better player, plays hard and coincidentally you don't hear much about him do you?

A shame that a drama queen gets to be the face of the young generation.

Maybe that sentiment is due to him being hyped since he was in high school...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Good point as harper and trout are 2 of the best in the game in my opinion...with trout being so far the best by a stretch. 2 young guys with different approaches and opinions on how the game should be played.

nothing new here...I just thing as life and time goes by...evolution is inevitable...and baseball should not be excluded.

jkray25
03-11-2016, 08:23 AM
nothing new here...I just thing as life and time goes by...evolution is inevitable...and baseball should not be excluded.

Agreed. It will evolve but that doesn't mean it has to lose its integrity. I have no problem with celebrations when warranted and the occasional scuffles or brush backs.

But pompous attitudes and subsequent actions, especially by the supposed "face" of baseball...

Meh, I can do without.

All that being said it doesn't affect my outlook on baseball. I will still watch the playoffs and follow my Braves and I think most loyalists are the same.

ullmandds
03-11-2016, 08:30 AM
Agreed. It will evolve but that doesn't mean it has to lose its integrity. I have no problem with celebrations when warranted and the occasional scuffles or brush backs.

But pompous attitudes and subsequent actions, especially by the supposed "face" of baseball...

Meh, I can do without.

All that being said it doesn't affect my outlook on baseball. I will still watch the playoffs and follow my Braves and I think most loyalists are the same.

totally agree...except re the braves...yankees all the way!!!!!:)

Snapolit1
03-11-2016, 08:31 AM
It's a good debate and needed for the sport. The idea that baseball was freeze dried decades ago and can never change is absurd. Baseball's history and tradition is exactly what sets it apart from all other sports, but they need to market the game better to young people. And getting all over players every time they fling a bat, pump their fist, or act joyful is idiocy.

All this unwritten rule stuff is beyond tired. Makes me chuckle to think that this time last year Bobby Parnell was schooling Noah Syndergaard about how to be a real major league ballplayer. Guy grabbed a bite during a meaningless spring training game and Parnell went nuts and embarrassed him in front of reporters. Yep, and now Bobby is probably behind the counter cooking the burgers. It's always the loud self-appointed Upholders of the Dignity of Baseball (Pappelbon, Schilling, Chad Curtis, Goose Gossage, etc.) who are the biggest jerks of all. More people have bought tickets to see Y. Puig than any of those guys.

Mountaineer1999
03-11-2016, 08:35 AM
I find it ironic that so many on this baseball card forum do not want baseball cards to evolve but yet the game is old and stagnant. The cards of today are now considered garbage or overpriced junk. Guess what folks, the game many of you are wishing for here depicted on today's cards with flash and flair, no one wants to buy these cards. Don't turn baseball into a 2016 Bryce Harper Bowman Chrome SuperFractor! How about instead we leave the game a 1953 Bowman Color Pee Wee Reese?

jkray25
03-11-2016, 08:45 AM
The cards of today are now considered garbage or overpriced junk. Guess what folks, the game many of you here are wishing for here depicted on today's cards with flash and flair, no one wants to buy these cards. Don't turn baseball into a 2016 Bryce Harper Bowman Chrome SuperFractor! How about instead we leave the game a 1953 Bowman Color Pee Wee Reese?

We know......BUT they look so HIDEOUS! :D:eek::rolleyes:

vintagetoppsguy
03-11-2016, 08:47 AM
I find it ironic that so many on this baseball card forum do not want baseball cards to evolve but yet the game is old and stagnant. The cards of today are now considered garbage or overpriced junk. Guess what folks, the game many of you here are wishing for here depicted on today's cards with flash and flair, no one wants to buy these cards. Don't turn baseball into a 2016 Bryce Harper Bowman Chrome SuperFractor! How about instead we leave the game a 1953 Bowman Color Pee Wee Reese?

+1

itjclarke
03-11-2016, 09:06 AM
It's a good debate and needed for the sport. The idea that baseball was freeze dried decades ago and can never change is absurd. Baseball's history and tradition is exactly what sets it apart from all other sports, but they need to market the game better to young people. And getting all over players every time they fling a bat, pump their fist, or act joyful is idiocy.

All this unwritten rule stuff is beyond tired. Makes me chuckle to think that this time last year Bobby Parnell was schooling Noah Syndergaard about how to be a real major league ballplayer. Guy grabbed a bite during a meaningless spring training game and Parnell went nuts and embarrassed him in front of reporters. Yep, and now Bobby is probably behind the counter cooking the burgers. It's always the loud self-appointed Upholders of the Dignity of Baseball (Pappelbon, Schilling, Chad Curtis, Goose Gossage, etc.) who are the biggest jerks of all. More people have bought tickets to see Y. Puig than any of those guys.

Again, I think the clash between the two styles (old school vs new) is better than it being all one or the other. I can't wait to see each Puig vs Bumgarner match this year, after the two had nasty words for each other last year.

Re- earlier comment about Joe Horn, again, I'm all for more "Fun" in the No Fun League. I just think certain personalities pull it off better than others. Again, this will always be personal preference, but I think the guys who come across as genuinely light hearted and fun (Icky, Ochocinco, others) will always get away with more in their celebrations than the guys who come across as sort of serious, or forced in their celebrations.

For whatever reason, Horn, TO, always rubbed me wrong... maybe it's crap like TO allowing his teammate Derek Deese to fight his fight for him, against two Cowboys, while he just picked up the ball and ran back to the star... or the fact that just beforehand he ran right past Jeff Garcia who was trying to celebrate with him. He just always bugged me... maybe part of it are guys who think come across as above their own team.

Anyway, I digress from the baseball argument... conflict between old and new is good and entertaining.

packs
03-11-2016, 12:33 PM
Goose Gossage sounded pretty tone deaf to me. He said Jose Bautista, someone who battled back from obscurity to become a star and led his team to the brink of the World Series, embarrassed Latino players because he celebrated sending his team to the Championship series.

That comment alone should be enough to make anyone tune out Goose. He has no place to say something like that and his comments should have been thrown out of the window as soon as he did. No one thinks like that anymore and it's time to get out of the way if you do.

bigtrain
03-11-2016, 12:46 PM

I could not agree more. And furthermore... I wish every pitcher in the league reacted like he was Bob Gibson when a batter pulled that bat flip crap. Drill him.

dabigyankeeman
03-11-2016, 02:10 PM
I love when athletes show emotion. Baseball has to loosen up, its not showing you up if the hitter celebrates because he did what he is supposed to do. You can celebrate when you strike him out.

As to nerds and the new stats, I like the new stats, but I do think they are over-used at times.

Beastmode
03-11-2016, 02:40 PM
Here's a suggestion; How about Harper gets a ring before he mouths off. One MVP and he thinks he's Buster Posey. He can't wear Buster's jock. Who's next; Mike Trout talking about modern players changing the game? Brandon Crawford has two more rings than both they guys combined.

sbfinley
03-11-2016, 02:50 PM
Here's a suggestion; How about Harper gets a ring before he mouths off. One MVP and he thinks he's Buster Posey. He can't wear Buster's jock. Who's next; Mike Trout talking about modern players changing the game? Brandon Crawford has two more rings than both they guys combined.

Can't tell if serious.

packs
03-11-2016, 02:55 PM
Harper is the face of the game and has been the future face of the game since he was in high school. It's foolish to see him any other way. The guy won the MVP last year at 22 years old. He was the third youngest player ever to do that. Stop acting like he's Stephen Strasburg. He's not. He lives up to the hype. His opinions on the future of the game are more relevant than anyone else's because he IS the future of the game, like or not.

Snapolit1
03-11-2016, 03:00 PM
. . .and why the heck does someone have to have championship rings to express an opinion on anything. I am a Met fan and boo the hell out of Harper all year long, but you'd have to be a stone cone dummy not to realize he is an out spoken but charismatic and thoughtful guy. I welcome his opinions.

Clutch-Hitter
03-11-2016, 03:14 PM
Mission-Team-Self

Used to be a 49ers fan, enjoyed Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott, etc. I recall them celebrating a team achievement, not individual achievements. Watched all NFL games back then. Anyway, T.O, arrived and caught his first T.D. pass, which was followed by tears. I liked him. He 'progressed' into pulling a sharpie out of his sock and signing a football in the endzone. I turned if off that day and haven't watched a single down since. Stuff like that became out of control and football suffered a significant reduction in class.

If there are unwritten rules, as its been coined, they're made by the players' teammates and retired players (didn't include managers/coaches because they seem to have little say). They have a mission and work together to accomplish it and fans should not have a say. Show boating was something to avoid in the past and any Team that attempts to play as a team will deter it.

But if we're forced to think about the individuals, I'd like more Dale Murphy and Fred McGriff, please. Football and basketball inherently require more aggression, both in quantity and quality, including body contact, and result in more opportunities for emotional celebration as a resut. Emotional celebration for team achievement is genuine and obvious. Other celebration is based on narcissism (sic?).

Respectfully

packs
03-11-2016, 03:18 PM
Something people haven't brought up yet is that baseball itself thinks it's tired. They've changed rules every year in an attempt to liven up the game. So what exactly did Harper say that isn't reflected in baseball's own vision of its current self?

vintagetoppsguy
03-11-2016, 04:14 PM
He lives up to the hype.

He lived up to the hype for 1 year. ONE YEAR! When he strings together several good years in a row, let me know.

Edited to add: I wish I had $1 for every prospect that was called a "phenom" that ended up a bust.

packs
03-11-2016, 05:29 PM
I don't think you'd have very many dollars if you threw in the caveat that the phenom had to have won the ROY and MVP award before their 23rd birthday.

Edited to add: I think any team would be happy with their 1st overall pick if that player went on to win an MVP and was a 3 time all star. And these accomplishments are part of the first 4 seasons of Harper's career. He's a rare player. I understand why some people don't like him and are resistant to change, but that doesn't make him wrong.

Peter_Spaeth
03-11-2016, 06:22 PM
Harper this year seemed to eradicate his only weakness, impatience at the plate. Of course nobody is a sure thing, and he does seem injury prone, but if the Red Sox wanted to sign him, I would not object.:D

irishdenny
03-11-2016, 08:39 PM
Apologies fir the double post...

irishdenny
03-11-2016, 08:43 PM
Edited to add: I wish I had $1 for every prospect that was called a "phenom" that ended up a bust.

I totally agree... I remember Kevin Maas!
However, I can't think of one that Won an MVP,
Let Alone at 22.

So... Do You Really Believe that He MiGHT be the next one
That You won't get a buck for?

Just Sayin...

Ohhh, do You Really Think he is Still a Prospect... Interestin!?

itjclarke
03-11-2016, 10:05 PM
I totally agree... I remember Kevin Maas!
However, I can't think of one that Won an MVP,
Let Alone at 22.

So... Do You Really Believe that He MiGHT be the next one
That You won't get a buck for?

Just Sayin...

Ohhh, I do You Really Think he is Still a Prospect... Interestin!?

Baseball has had some pretty memorable phenoms in my lifetime--- Gooden (ROY and CY Young by I think 20?), Pujols (whether his age is real or not, those first 10 years were unreal), Griffey (his game was so pure), Trout, and to a lesser degree guys like Ryan Braun, Man Ram, etc. All were super young when they broke in, and had incredible immediate impact.

The thing that stands out to me about Harper though, is he's been pegged for greatness since 15 when he was on SI's cover. He was the closest thing to LeBron that I can think of in recent major pro sports. In the face of all that pressure and expectation most guys eventually fizzle. Remember SI's "Super Kid"? who never appeared in a major league game? or Freddy Adu? I think Harper's fully living up to his hype, and is only getting better. It's all the more impressive given the very early national exposure, scrutiny and pressure he's faced throughout.

Like him or not (though, I lean old school, I really like him), he's the most exciting at bat in baseball, and I think he is 100000% good for the game. I think this entire controversy and debate is good for baseball. People are talking about it!!

the 'stache
03-12-2016, 08:19 AM
Laker Girls coming to Baseball. I'm IN for more viewing :D

Get the Lakers girls to dance in the foul territory at Miller Park, and I'll buy season tickets. I don't even live in Milwaukee. :p

I agree with Bryce, to an extent. I think there needs to be a little bit more "fun" to the game, without making it the spectacle that the NBA has become. Part of what makes minor league baseball so fun is the little nuances that are unique to each team and ballpark. I'd love to see more of that in the Majors.

When a home run gets hit in Milwaukee, Bernie slides down into a mug of beer (well, not really). And, we have the sausage races. Let's see more of the excitement that made this game The National Pastime!

Snapolit1
03-12-2016, 08:29 AM
There are guys in baseball who you do not want to be on line grabbing a hot dog or a beer for . . you want to be in the seat watching every at bat. And you look ahead to see if he's batting next inning in timing your bathroom break. He is one of them. Ditto Trout. Ditto Cespedes. Ditto a hand full of other guys. That to me is the test that separates a star from an excellent player. Some of the "star" guys, i.e. Darryl Strawberry, Puig, ultimately don't have the career to back it up. I said it for years and stand by it: other than his farewell tour, no one around the country was buying tickets to see Derek Jeter play. Great great team player. Came though in the clutch remarkably in the post season. HOF material. No one ever bought a ticket in Cleveland or Detroit to see him play in June. Sometimes the big stars run their mouth a little much, i.e., Harvey, but these are the guys who put fannies in the seats, as Keith Hernandez would say.

Some guy is selling a Fidyrch autograph picture over on the other board. I read the Fidrych write up on Wikipedia. Damm, what a season that was. And what amazing fun. If he was around today I guess we would need to tell him to shut the hell up. Everything he'd be doing would be to "show up" the other team or somehow mock someone.

the 'stache
03-12-2016, 09:13 AM
There are guys in baseball who you do not want to be on line grabbing a hot dog or a beer for . . you want to be in the seat watching every at bat. And you look ahead to see if he's batting next inning in timing your bathroom break. He is one of them. Ditto Trout. Ditto Cespedes. Ditto a hand full of other guys. That to me is the test that separates a star from an excellent player. Some of the "star" guys, i.e. Darryl Strawberry, Puig, ultimately don't have the career to back it up. I said it for years and stand by it: other than his farewell tour, no one around the country was buying tickets to see Derek Jeter play. Great great team player. Came though in the clutch remarkably in the post season. HOF material. No one ever bought a ticket in Cleveland or Detroit to see him play in June. Sometimes the big stars run their mouth a little much, i.e., Harvey, but these are the guys who put fannies in the seats, as Keith Hernandez would say.

When we had Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun batting back to back between 2007 and 2011, a lot of bladders went unrelieved at Miller Park for exactly the reason you mentioned. You didn't want to miss a single one of their at bats, and there was no way you were taking a trip to the can if both guys were guaranteed to make it up to the plate in the home half of the inning. In five years, they combined to hit 361 home runs, and drove in 1,096 runs. The Brewers weren't always good, but every game, even the ones we lost, were fun because there was always a chance one or both of them were going to hit a 440 foot bomb.

KingFisk
03-12-2016, 10:01 AM
Harper is an exciting player and not entirely wrong. It seems like he has been around forever, so sometimes it is hard to remember how young he is. As far as his comments, the answer probably lives somewhere in the middle of the new school vs. old school philosophies. Anyway, I am hoping he has a HOF career, so this contrived short print will help pay for the kid's college education. ;)

HRBAKER
03-12-2016, 10:10 AM

Jantz,

You didn't realize that once you hit fifty your ability to discern btw those things that are exciting and boring goes into steep decline? :D

RTK
03-12-2016, 11:09 AM
It isn't so much the game, as it is the attention span of people in general. It's become so short that people can't sit at a stop light without checking facebook on their phone. Football only plays 16 regular season games, catering to weekend sports fans who probaly couldn't tell you a thing about the nuances or history of the game. Basketball is about the "show". They haven't called travelling since the 50's. It's gotten to the point that it isn't that you score but how spectacular the basket is. Baseball is on the opposite end of the spectrum, it's chess, a sport to be studied and savoured. It gives you time to think between plays with numerous ways to score. A 1-0 game can be as exciting as a 9-8 game. Both basketball and football over engineer their rules to encourage excessive scoring. Defence in both sports is on the endangered list. In baseball both offence and defense can be appreciated. Baseball for the most part isn't over engineered, it has a certain dignity, the sport is just fine the way it is,it's everybody else that's wrong.

Clutch-Hitter
03-12-2016, 12:04 PM
Bryce Harper, at 22, sounds like a Prima donna: a person who thinks she or he is better than everyone else and who does not work well as part of a team or group. He complained about people not being able to express themselves. Is this baseball or theatre? His teammates heard him tell the world that they're boring and, while still mounted upon the stallion with which he travels through life, proceeded to name names of the current great ones (forming a posse) who are withheld the opportunity for emotional outburst, all the while pointing the finger at the annointed one: himself. He should've praised his teammates and verbalized gratitude for the few years he's played. Maybe he should sit down with Tiger for some knowlege.

No prima donna will change baseball. I understand about not missing an at-bat for a hot dog, but that's a FAN perspective. His comment was from a player perspective and was an effort to bring fans into his posse along with other prima donnas. quite frankly, he sounds like he's spoiled and has been for quite a while.
-----------------

Beastmode
03-12-2016, 04:49 PM
the last two posts, #82 and #83, might be the most thoughtful written comments I've seen on this board in a long time. And their back-to-back. Nicely written gents.

irishdenny
03-12-2016, 05:31 PM
Bryce Harper, at 22, sounds like a Prima donna: a person who thinks she or he is better than everyone else and who does not work well as part of a team or group. He complained about people not being able to express themselves. Is this baseball or theatre? His teammates heard him tell the world that they're boring and, while still mounted upon the stallion with which he travels through life, proceeded to name names of the current great ones (forming a posse) who are withheld the opportunity for emotional outburst, all the while pointing the finger at the annointed one: himself. He should've praised his teammates and verbalized gratitude for the few years he's played. Maybe he should sit down with Tiger for some knowlege.

No prima donna will change baseball. I understand about not missing an at-bat for a hot dog, but that's a FAN perspective. His comment was from a player perspective and was an effort to bring fans into his posse along with other prima donnas. quite frankly, he sounds like he's spoiled and has been for quite a while.
-----------------

the last two posts, #82 and #83, might be the most thoughtful written comments I've seen on this board in a long time. And their back-to-back. Nicely written gents.

Your Prima Donna at work...
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:14864325

I Love Strong opinion's!
You & Bryce have a lot in Common... ;)

JollyElm
03-12-2016, 05:38 PM
Regarding this 'new' world of baseball, there are two specific things that bother the living sh_t of me:

1. The second a pitched ball touches the dirt, it is immediately thrown out of the game by the umpire. This is baseball. It's played in the frickin' dirt, yet they insist that each ball has to be absolutely perfect with nary a blemish on it so the batter isn't at a disadvantage??!! Next thing you know, each player will receive a therapeutic massage, apricot scrub and tea service in the on-deck circle. Come on MLB!!!!!!!!!

2. Pitchers who come into the game with their hat brims perfectly flat and straightened with no curve to them whatsoever. Some of these d-bags even shift the hat a little so it's not properly aligned on their head, having the brim off to the side. I don't care if I'm rooting for their team, the moment one of these guys appears on the mound I hope they get lit up and sent to the showers!!!!!!!!!

itjclarke
03-12-2016, 07:22 PM
Regarding this 'new' world of baseball, there are two specific things that bother the living sh_t of me:

1. The second a pitched ball touches the dirt, it is immediately thrown out of the game by the umpire. This is baseball. It's played in the frickin' dirt, yet they insist that each ball has to be absolutely perfect with nary a blemish on it so the batter isn't at a disadvantage??!! Next thing you know, each player will receive a therapeutic massage, apricot scrub and tea service in the on-deck circle. Come on MLB!!!!!!!!!

2. Pitchers who come into the game with their hat brims perfectly flat and straightened with no curve to them whatsoever. Some of these d-bags even shift the hat a little so it's not properly aligned on their head, having the brim off to the side. I don't care if I'm rooting for their team, the moment one of these guys appears on the mound I hope they get lit up and sent to the showers!!!!!!!!!

Haha, love it. I cannot stand the flat brimmed hat either. It was lame in the early '90's (wannabe suburban hoods wearing Starter hats with the tags still on), and it's lame today.

Another uniform style that I cannot stand, pants that are too long, showing no sock/stirrup. As a SF man, I feel I should take some responsibility for this because Bonds was one of the early ones to do it, and think he may have been the first who had that stupid little loop at the pant bottom that could flip around the spikes at his heal, and keep his pant bottoms down.

vintagetoppsguy
03-12-2016, 07:57 PM
Pitchers who come into the game with their hat brims perfectly flat and straightened with no curve to them whatsoever.

For some reason, that really bugs the heck out of me too. Thought I was the only one. Glad there are others.

Clutch-Hitter
03-12-2016, 08:10 PM
The good ole days, Sid Bream and company, teamwork at its finest and no primas: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FgjIVvEQo_o

Irish, that made me giggle, thanks. I'm 40 and have never heard a 22 year old's opinion and found it to be strong in context (intellectual is possible) at least since I was 22. Weak in wisdom, yes. And exceptions are not given to wealthy kids who can swing a wooden club better than most, but its great we can still have an opinion sometimes.

Respectfully

iowadoc77
03-12-2016, 08:24 PM
I put my hat on with a curved bill. My son has the flat bill. I try to bend his, he gets mad. And vice verse. It's a generational thing. And yes, it bugs the heck out of me as well especially when the bill is off to the side.

ValKehl
03-12-2016, 10:19 PM

Hank, I agree with you 100%. I have watched 95+% of the Washington Nationals games since the Expos relocated to DC, and I have noticed that Harper consistently half-heartedly jogs toward 1st base whenever he hits a popup or a ground ball that has no chance of being a base hit. Harper is not "Charley Hustle," except when he smells a base hit and/or extra bases.

Yes, Harper is tremendously talented. But, I'll take Trout over Harper every day. The Nats are my beloved home team, but quite frankly, the only time I root for Harper to do well is when the team is in desperate need for his production. It is said that there is no "i" in "team," but I suspect Harper thinks there is!

I'm not opposed to a bit more celebration and emotion being shown by MLB players, so long as it doesn't directly show up the opposition and doesn't begin to approach the level we see with the NBA and NFL.

Mostly, I'd like to see the game speeded up a bit more. I wonder how much total game time is consumed by batters adjusting their batting gloves, seemingly after every pitch - a simple solution to this would be to outlaw batting gloves.
Val

Centauri
03-13-2016, 09:54 AM
If the Nats are tired of Harper, well my Indians would happily take him off your hands.

Harper is great for the sport, same for Bautista - that bat flip will become legendary. We need more color, not less.

RTK
03-13-2016, 11:49 AM
If the Nats are tired of Harper, well my Indians would happily take him off your hands.

Harper is great for the sport, same for Bautista - that bat flip will become legendary. We need more color, not less.

...but at what point does it stop? I see it as catering to the lowest common denominator audience wise. Football is the worst. It isn't good enough to just celebrate touch downs, you have to celebrate every tackle, no matter the score of the game or it's situation. I see once the emotional celebrations are in the game guys will be celebrating everything to make ESPN highlights, Twitter and Facebook and just like football they'll practice celebrations to the point of correography. Walk up songs are bad enough.

Louieman
03-13-2016, 12:54 PM
...but at what point does it stop? I see it as catering to the lowest common denominator audience wise. Football is the worst. It isn't good enough to just celebrate touch downs, you have to celebrate every tackle, no matter the score of the game or it's situation. I see once the emotional celebrations are in the game guys will be celebrating everything to make ESPN highlights, Twitter and Facebook and just like football they'll practice celebrations to the point of correography. Walk up songs are bad enough.

I don't think it's fair to equate younger people and our use of technology as some form of narcissistic pandering to the lowest common denominator. It's just different, and it's a reflection of our technology, and our differences to the previous generation....which I believe has been happening since, ya know, the beginning of civilization.

That being said, Mike Trout, Andrew McCutchen and Buster Posey are only a few years older than Bryce Harper. They carry themselves completely differently on the field. Yet they are still part of the same generation. My point is that I don't think Bryce is wrong when he says we should modernize the game. But my other point is that Bryce is a douchebag and so it's hard to take his thoughts seriously when he sets such a douchey example for the rest of his generation.

chaddurbin
03-13-2016, 01:22 PM

football players are literally killing themselves out there for your entertainment, they get into multiple car wrecks every week...if they want to do a little celebration after a play because they didn't break their neck then more power to them.

color me shock that on a primarily pre-ww1 baseball board people are oppose to the rich, spoiled, out of touch modern superstar who wants to make the game more fun for everyone. let's go to the beckett super refractor board for their thoughts...i'm sure their opinions mirror this board.

Beastmode
03-13-2016, 08:16 PM
There's a becket super refractor board?

packs
03-14-2016, 01:48 PM
Everyone keeps bringing up Bautista. Does no one remember why he flipped his bat? He'd just given his team the go-ahead and eventual lead that would send them into the ALCS and have him playing for the pennant. If you can't celebrate that, what can you celebrate? It wasn't just some routine homer in a mid-June game.

Peter_Spaeth
03-14-2016, 01:50 PM
Everyone keeps bringing up Bautista. Does no one remember why he flipped his bat? He'd just given his team the go-ahead and eventual lead that would send them into the ALCS and have him playing for the pennant. If you can't celebrate that, what can you celebrate? It wasn't just some routine homer in a mid-June game.

I am a traditionalist but I have no issue with the bat flip, I thought it was pretty cool actually. An exclamation point.

Eric72
03-14-2016, 02:06 PM
A friendly reminder from the fun police:

OK, team. You've just recorded the final out and won the World Series. Please form an orderly line and proceed to the pitcher's mound for post-game celebratory handshakes. No running, jumping, or yelling, please. Remember, it's just a game and public displays of emotion are strongly discouraged. :eek:

ETA: After a round of stale, scripted press conferences, participation trophies will be awarded to both teams at the league sanctioned ice cream social.

irishdenny
03-14-2016, 02:11 PM

Yeah Buddy...
If You Watched that game, & I did!
You would of been Well Entertained, fur sure!

The Most Screwed up inning I've Ever Laid Eyes On!!!

That Bat Flip was Completed Warranted... In the Moment Aye!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofS09rcM-_Q

packs
03-14-2016, 02:38 PM
Why isn't anyone scolding Hank Aaron for his absurd, showboating trot after he hit 715? Or how about when McGwire broke Maris' record and hugged his family? Don't these people have class. Or what about that ridiculous trot Ripken took around the field when he broke Gehrig's record? Enough already, prima donna, we're playing a game here!

The point I'm trying to make is that in my opinion it's perfectly fine to celebrate a moment worth celebrating and it's usually easy to tell when those moments happen. If you can't celebrate those moments, what can you celebrate? There should be some wiggle room and I agree no one wants to see baseball devolve into football, but a little fun never hurt anyone either.

chaddurbin
03-14-2016, 02:58 PM
this new guy and his showboating disrespecting the game...he's no joe dimaggio that's for sure. i don't know if he's gonna work out.

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/MantleBatFlip010516.gif

Peter_Spaeth
03-14-2016, 03:02 PM
The NBA is the worst. Every free throw, even the missed ones. Ridiculous.

JustCollectVP
03-14-2016, 03:49 PM
Not much showboating in the NHL, but then again, you can't knock someone's teeth out and get just a five minute timeout in the other sports.

The "look-at-me" generation takes their cue from ESPN.

Personally, I don't understand why a basketball team doesn't take advantage of the 5 on 4 while Slamakahn Dunker is mugging for the camera.

If you want to stop the WR from gesturing 1st Down, stop him short of the marker. Want Cam to stop doing the Dab, keep him out of the endzone (see Denver).

Reggie Jackson hotdogged it. He sat a few times, too.

I miss the days when baseball used to be able to police itself. Too many ESPN-primadonnas feel that they progress their manhood and have to rush the mound or pop off when they get old-schooled. Bring back Bob Gibson and Don Drysdale and Willie Mays. And there was fun, too. Willie Montenez and Tito Fuentes certainly cut the pie.

Mariano Rivera, Derek Jeter, Paul Goldschmidt and Mike Trout certainly show(ed) that you can still play the game and can be exuberant without taking it over the top.

But that's just MOO (my opinion only) and YMMV (your mileage may vary).

vintagetoppsguy
03-14-2016, 03:51 PM
The bat flip has one purpose - to show up the pitcher/opposing team. It's rude and arrogant. I honestly see no difference between the bat flip or if Bautista had shot the finger at the pitcher/opposing bench. It sends the same message.

Celebrating? There's a difference between celebrating the moment and showing up the other team. The bat flip is meant to show up the other team. Kirk Gibson didn't flip his bat, he celebrated by pumping his arm a few times. Big difference.

It's a matter of class vs. ass. Gibson had class and Batista is definitely an ass.

packs
03-14-2016, 03:59 PM
So Fisk waving his homer fair: class or ass?

vintagetoppsguy
03-14-2016, 04:07 PM
So Fisk waving his homer fair: class or ass?

Was it meant to show up the other pitcher or team?

JollyElm
03-14-2016, 04:23 PM
this new guy and his showboating disrespecting the game...he's no joe dimaggio that's for sure. i don't know if he's gonna work out.

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/MantleBatFlip010516.gif

What exactly does this video show, do you know? I can't find the full video anywhere. Because to me, it looks like Mantle hit a fly ball easy-out and is pissed at himself, no?

Peter_Spaeth
03-14-2016, 04:31 PM
What exactly does this video show, do you know? I can't find the full video anywhere. Because to me, it looks like Mantle hit a fly ball easy-out and is pissed at himself, no?

I agree. That doesn't look anything like a celebration. Reminded me of Bo breaking the bat over his head.

Eric72
03-14-2016, 04:51 PM

I think the joke was that Mantle wouldn't be as good as DiMaggio, which was a common stance for those who saw Joltin' Joe play.

As for the bat toss, it looks to me like Mick meant to do something other than the clumsy flip that almost came back to smack him in the eye.

I "got" the joke almost immediately. Then again, I posted something a few hours ago that I also thought was funny. Perhaps my sense of humor is off.

HRBAKER
03-14-2016, 05:31 PM
The bat flip has one purpose - to show up the pitcher/opposing team. It's rude and arrogant. I honestly see no difference between the bat flip or if Bautista had shot the finger at the pitcher/opposing bench. It sends the same message.

Celebrating? There's a difference between celebrating the moment and showing up the other team. The bat flip is meant to show up the other team. Kirk Gibson didn't flip his bat, he celebrated by pumping his arm a few times. Big difference.

It's a matter of class vs. ass. Gibson had class and Batista is definitely an ass.

My take is that if the result of the AB had been a strikeout rather than a HR and the pitcher would have "holstered his six shooter," Bautista would have taken a dim view of it.

JollyElm
03-14-2016, 05:58 PM
I think the joke was that Mantle wouldn't be as good as DiMaggio, which was a common stance for those who saw Joltin' Joe play.

As for the bat toss, it looks to me like Mick meant to do something other than the clumsy flip that almost came back to smack him in the eye.

I "got" the joke almost immediately. Then again, I posted something a few hours ago that I also thought was funny. Perhaps my sense of humor is off.

Obviously, I got the joke. But beyond that I was wondering what actually took place during that AB, because it sure doesn't look celebratory.

vintagetoppsguy
04-14-2016, 11:37 AM
Harper is the face of the game and has been the future face of the game...

Well your future face of the game proves once again he is a classless douche bag...

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb-news/4701228-bryce-harper-home-run-walkup-song-jcole-gmod

Joshchisox08
04-14-2016, 11:48 AM
The NBA is the worst. Every free throw, even the missed ones. Ridiculous.

NBA yest but NFL.................... again I can't fathom how anyone can stand that league.

Those guys break out in cheerleader moves after scoring.

Well your future face of the game proves once again he is a classless douche bag...

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb-news/4701228-bryce-harper-home-run-walkup-song-jcole-gmod

Dave what'd I miss????

vintagetoppsguy
04-14-2016, 12:00 PM
Dave what'd I miss????

His walk up song is titled "G.O.M.D." which is an acronym for Get Off My D***

There is your future face of baseball :rolleyes:

AGuinness
04-14-2016, 12:05 PM
Dale Murphy, via Joe Posnanski, has a pretty good take on differences between how the game was and how it is now. Really good common sense approach...

“I think baseball now is just great,” Murphy says. “I love it. I think what Bryce Harper is saying is: Let us be who we are. They don’t all have to play like Harper, and they won’t. Mike Trout plays the game a lot more like I did, I think, a lot more like the way Mike Schmidt plays. You know, quieter. And Bryce Harper plays with flair. Kids want to express themselves. I get it. We didn’t do some of this stuff, but you know what? Our time was our time. It’s their time now.”

The whole story is well worth the read:
http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/dale-murphy-bryce-harper-bat-flip/

sbfinley
04-14-2016, 12:05 PM

That's not too bad. Mickey Mantle once told my aunt Rose something similar at the Cocacabana's coat check room. Not exactly the same. One word. But close enough.

Peter_Spaeth
04-14-2016, 12:08 PM
Dale Murphy, via Joe Posnanski, has a pretty good take on differences between how the game was and how it is now. Really good common sense approach...

“I think baseball now is just great,” Murphy says. “I love it. I think what Bryce Harper is saying is: Let us be who we are. They don’t all have to play like Harper, and they won’t. Mike Trout plays the game a lot more like I did, I think, a lot more like the way Mike Schmidt plays. You know, quieter. And Bryce Harper plays with flair. Kids want to express themselves. I get it. We didn’t do some of this stuff, but you know what? Our time was our time. It’s their time now.”

The whole story is well worth the read:
http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/dale-murphy-bryce-harper-bat-flip/

Willie Mays played with flair too. That explanation does not impress me.

Joshchisox08
04-14-2016, 12:11 PM
His walk up song is titled "G.O.M.D." which is an acronym for Get Off My D***

There is your future face of baseball :rolleyes:

I see. ................. Surprised that a Stadium/Franchise would allow that to be played at all.

packs
04-14-2016, 12:13 PM
Who even cares. I don't know what your impression of young people is, but there are a lot of people who do way worse things than play a snide walk up song. That doesn't make you a douche bag or a terrible person.

vintagetoppsguy
04-14-2016, 12:35 PM
Who even cares. I don't know what your impression of young people is, but there are a lot of people who do way worse things than play a snide walk up song. That doesn't make you a douche bag or a terrible person.

Wow, you didn't just tweak your post a little bit, you changed the entire content. Let me answer the questions you asked before your edit...

Are you suggesting Harper isn't the biggest star in the game? And that he isn't the face of baseball's future? If you're trying to say you think what he did was dopey, that has nothing to do with his status in baseball. You could just say that instead.

Whether or not he is the biggest star in the game and the face of baseball's future is really a matter of opinion. You have yours, I have mine. We're not going to change each others minds. But let me ask you a question. If you believe Harper is the face of baseball's future, is this the kind of guy you want representing baseball?

packs
04-14-2016, 12:38 PM
Yes I would love for people who have personal tastes in music to represent baseball. I would also love for reporters to stop writing click-bait articles about walk up music and what it all means.

I haven't seen a whole lot of press on hector Olivera. But here's an article on walk up music.

chaddurbin
04-14-2016, 12:49 PM
someone please put a ball between his eyes and end his career already, that walk up song is not appropriate for baseball OMG.

i want my baseball playing men to own big assault rifles, hunt deers, pull their kids out of school to hang out at the park all day, and break up SE asian prostitution rings during the off-season.

AGuinness
04-14-2016, 12:52 PM

Absolutely agree. I think too many people in this world are too quick to judge others and are unwilling to accept differences of opinion, taste, culture, beliefs, etc.

And it amazes me that some people on this board resort to name calling and derogatory comments.

packs
04-14-2016, 12:53 PM
I wouldn't dig too deep into Derek Jeter's walk up music. There are lots of naughty words and suggestive themes in most of them. In fact, if you decided to remove every song that either contained bad language or was performed by someone who had done something in their past, everyone would be walking up to happy birthday.

Peter_Spaeth
04-14-2016, 12:54 PM
Great lyrics.

"G.O.M.D."

Hollywood Cole
Go
Ay Hollywood
Hollywood Cole
Go

You wanna know just where I'm at
Well let me tell you 'bout it
I put my city on the map
But let me tell you 'bout it
They tryna say I can't come back
Ay let me tell you 'bout it
Man fuck them niggas I come back
Ay let me tell you 'bout it
I wanna tell you 'bout it
Hands up, everybody run
Cole outside and he say he got a gun
Niggas like "man that's what everybody say"
Go and pop the trunk and everybody dead
Everybody scared of the nigga
Aware that the nigga is better
All my bitches the pick of the litter
Never bitter
Niggas is faker than anime
Me I never hate, get cake like Anna Mae, woah
Eat the cake bitch, eat the damn cake
Fuck good nigga we demand great
Order Domino's and she take off all her clothes
Nigga you know how it goes, make the pizza man wait
The best kept secret
Even hoes try and keep it and I leak the damn tape
Rest in peace any nigga want beef
Even secret service couldn't keep the man safe

[Pre-Hook:]
I said to the window, to the wall
My nigga ride when I call
Got bitches all in my mind
Fuck nigga blocking my shine
I know the reason you feel the way
I know just who you wan' be
So everyday I thank the man upstairs
That I ain't you and you ain't me

[Hook:]
Get off my dick, woah
(Get the fuck off my dick)
Get off my dick, woah
(Get the fuck off my dick nigga)
Get off my dick, bitch, woah
(Get the fuck off my dick)
Get off my dick, woah

Man fuck them niggas I come home and I don't tell nobody
They gettin' temporary dough and I don't tell nobody
Lord will you tell me if I changed, I won't tell nobody
I wanna go back to Jermaine, and I won't tell nobody
This is the part that the thugs skip
Young nigga never had love
You know, foot massage, back rub shit
Blowing bubbles in the bathtub shit
That is until I met you
Together we done watch years go by
Seen a river of your tears go by
Got me thinkin' bout some kids, still I
Tell them hoes come through
(The break up)
Get to know somebody and you really learn a lot about 'em
Won't be long for you, start to doubt 'em
Tell yourself you better off without 'em
Then in time you will find can't walk without 'em
Can't talk without 'em, can't breath without 'em
Came here together, you can't leave without 'em
So you walk back in, make a scene about 'em
On your Amerie it's just 1 thing about 'em
It's called love
Niggas don't sing about it no more
Don't nobody sing about it no more
No more, no more
It's called love
Niggas don't sing about it no more
Don't nobody sing about it no more
(Nigga I don't sing about this shit no more)
But there a nigga in the club singing

[Pre-Hook]

Get off my dick
But every nigga in the club singing
Singing this song yeah
Got all the bitches in the club singing
Singing this song yeah
And all they mamas let their kids sing it
Sing this song yeah
The baby mamas and the mistresses
Singing this song yeah
Song yeah, song song yeah

(The make up)
This shit is retarded
Why every rich black nigga gotta be famous
Why every broke black nigga gotta be brainless
That's a stereotype
Driven by some people up in Ariel Heights
Here's a scenario
Young Cole pockets is fat like little Terrio
Dreamville, give us a year we'll be on every show
Yeah fuck nigga I'm very sure
Fuck the rest I'm the best nigga out
When I'm back home I'm the best in the South
When I'm in LA I'm the best in the West
You can test, you can test, I'm a stretch niggas out
Oooh I'm a stretch niggas out
That go for all y'all if I left niggas out
This shit for everbody on my testicle
Please make sure you put the rest in your mouth, hoe

packs
04-14-2016, 12:57 PM
Do you honestly think other players don't listen to J-Cole? Is there a difference between the guy who plays the edited track at the ballpark and the guy who listens to the full version in his car? Who cares man. What is it you're insinuating? That Harper is a bad person because he likes certain songs?

darwinbulldog
04-14-2016, 01:00 PM
Just looks like a new adaptation of "Everybody's Tryin' to Be My Baby" by Carl Perkins (made more famous by The Beatles). It's a shame to see so-called artists being so shamelessly derivative.

Peter_Spaeth
04-14-2016, 01:00 PM
It's sad that anyone is writing, producing, or listening to this vile misogynistic trash, or are you telling me it's all tongue in cheek or something?

All my bitches the pick of the litter indeed.

Beatles Guy
04-14-2016, 01:05 PM
I'm OK with the showboating, as long as the showboater is OK with the next pitch he sees buzzing right past his ear.

vintagetoppsguy
04-14-2016, 01:08 PM
I think too many people in this world are too quick to judge others and are unwilling to accept differences of opinion, taste, culture, beliefs, etc.

Funny, but if I used the same words in the lyrics of that song on this message board or in most other places, I would be accused of exactly what you're saying - unwilling to accept differences of opinion, taste, culture, beliefs, etc. - especially the "n" word that's used 25 times (if I counted correctly).

But if I don't like the lyrics, you accuse me of the same thing?

AGuinness
04-14-2016, 01:10 PM
More great lyrics, courtesy of Derek Jeter walk up songs...

http://mlbfancave.mlb.com/fancave/blog/article.jsp?content=article&content_id=96403662

(Lets just do excerpts)

Puff Daddy's "Come With Me":
Fuck my enemies
Fuck my foes
Damn these hoes
You're stepping on my toes
Back up off me
Take your hands off me
Give me room to breathe
I'm not hearing it
I'm not fearing it
I'm up to my ears in it
Bullshit I'm destructive
Some women find that seductive
Some say it's lunacy
Reluctantly I've been moving on
I ignore you
Sorry if I bore you
I neglect you
Don't mean to disrespect you
Can't you see
I love you dearly
And that sincerely
But you annoy me
You can't avoid me
I'm here to stay
Forever and ever and a day
That's never
I can't let you go
I can't forget it
Why you did it
I won't permit it
And won't acquit it
I want to fight you
I'll fucking bite you
Can't stand nobody like you
You can't run
You can't hide
No surprise
Close your eyes

50 Cent's "Outta Control":
System thumpin', dance floor jumpin'
We thirty deep in this bitch, we stuntin'
Thats what you get, you in my hood
I thought you understood
You know me, VIP, no ID
Bottles in DP, I do it real BIG
Bitches break their necks to be where
I be
Take 'em to ecstacy without ecstacy
I'm the chef, you need a hit, I got the recipe
Doc got the antedote and send the drugs in the nose
Can you feel it, Em said for me to make ya feel it
And remind you that you rockin' with the realest

Notorious B.I.G's "Hypnotize"
At last, a nigga rappin bout blunts and broads
Tits and bras, ménage à trois, sex in expensive cars
I still leave you on the pavement
Condo paid for, no car payment
At my arraignment, note for the plantiff
Your daughter's tied up in a Brooklyn basement (shh)

This could go on, but this isn't a Bryce Harper issue, this is a larger issue. But considering that the Yankees PR team tweeted out Jeter's songs, it doesn't seem to be much of an issue at all.

AGuinness
04-14-2016, 01:20 PM
Funny, but if I used the same words in the lyrics of that song on this message board or in most other places, I would be accused of exactly what you're saying - unwilling to accept differences of opinion, taste, culture, beliefs, etc. - especially the "n" word that's used 25 times (if I counted correctly).

But if I don't like the lyrics, you accuse me of the same thing?

Did you see what I was quoting in my post? I was referencing the content of that quote only, not a specific song.

This certainly seems familiar to me, considering you either purposefully took a statistic out of context or didn't read the web page in its entirety in another thread here:
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?p=1527169#post1527169

vintagetoppsguy
04-14-2016, 01:26 PM
Did you see what I was quoting in my post? I was referencing the content of that quote only, not a specific song.

This certainly seems familiar to me, considering you either purposefully took a statistic out of context or didn't read the web page in its entirety in another thread here:
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?p=1527169#post1527169

No, I didn't take your statistics out of context. My statistics were flawed, I will admit that. I was actually looking at data from 2000/01 when the chargeback rate was at 3.5%. It has declined significantly over the last 15 years or so.

Now, to address the bigger issue. I don't know if you have a personal beef with me or not, or if you have nothing better to do, but let's take this to a PM and get it resolved.

darwinbulldog
04-14-2016, 01:31 PM
I'm disappointed in the number of people who would rather see players commit actual acts of violence against each other than allow for the expression of anything they deem showboating, but then I tend to be disappointed in my species more often than not. Carry on.

the 'stache
04-14-2016, 01:37 PM
I think Trout is the future face of baseball, if he's not already. Harper is the bad boy. If the Nats and Angels both become great teams, it will make for an interesting baseball rivalry.

I'm not a fan of Harper's walk up music, though. Doesn't make him a bad person, but it is disappointing that somebody in a position to influence kids would choose to send that message.

packs
04-14-2016, 01:40 PM
If you listen to people's walk up music you will find that many people use similar walk up music all the time. It's just not pointed out to you. As was posted, take a look at Jeter's music choices. In my opinion, those choices say nothing about the person as an individual.

Peter_Spaeth
04-14-2016, 01:43 PM
If you listen to people's walk up music you will find that many people use similar walk up music all the time. It's just not pointed out to you. As was posted, take a look at Jeter's music choices. In my opinion, those choices say nothing about the person as an individual. Everyone likes music they like. It rarely says anything about the person on a human level.

Aren't the lyrics part of what one likes, if one likes music? So I can like songs depicting women as bitches and hoes but that says nothing about me?

packs
04-14-2016, 01:46 PM
Do you listen to the Beatles? Are you aware of how John Lennon treated women in his lifetime? If you like the Beatles, does that mean you support that kind of thing? Or is there something in the music that you like?

They play that song Rock N Roll by Gary Glitter at a lot of sporting events. You know where Gary Glitter is now, right?

Peter_Spaeth
04-14-2016, 01:51 PM
Do you listen to the Beatles? Are you aware of how John Lennon treated women in his lifetime? If you like the Beatles, does that mean you support that kind of thing? Or is there something in the music that you like?

They play that song Rock N Roll by Gary Glitter at a lot of sporting events. You know where Gary Glitter is now, right?

Not persuasive. Here, the lyrics are part of the song.

packs
04-14-2016, 01:52 PM
Yeah, but not everyone likes a song because of the lyrics. And liking a song says nothing about who you are. It might say something about your taste in music, but if you're suggesting everyone can be judged on their playlist I think that's a strange thing to say.

Pilot172000
04-14-2016, 01:53 PM
I follow the Nats and I believe Bryce Harper is an amazing player but I would trade him for Trout in a heartbeat. We all have different opinions on his kind of stuff and I certainly won't condemn any of that. I'm in my early 30s but tend to be an old souls with more traditionalist values when it comes to my sports. Walk up music is silly to me, this isn't Wrasslin!! I want to hear the organ played and the sounds that the crowd makes at important parts of the game. I'm just old school like that.

Snapolit1
04-14-2016, 02:00 PM
A little lame to start dissecting someone's walk up music and proof of their character. Kids today listen to music that shocks their parents with bad words. And guess what. Their parents listened to music with words that shocked their parents. And their grandparents listened to Elvis and we all know how evil and subversive that guy was.

Peter_Spaeth
04-14-2016, 02:06 PM
A little lame to start dissecting someone's walk up music and proof of their character. Kids today listen to music that shocks their parents with bad words. And guess what. Their parents listened to music with words that shocked their parents. And their grandparents listened to Elvis and we all know how evil and subversive that guy was.

There is a world of difference IMO between some sexual suggestiveness and blatant misogyny, sorry.

sbfinley
04-14-2016, 02:13 PM
Next time I see you guys playing checkers outside the Cracker Barrel make sure to say hi.

Peter_Spaeth
04-14-2016, 02:19 PM
Yeah, but not everyone likes a song because of the lyrics. And liking a song says nothing about who you are. It might say something about your taste in music, but if you're suggesting everyone can be judged on their playlist I think that's a strange thing to say.

And I think it's strange to suggest that someone's preferences in music say nothing about them.

darwinbulldog
04-14-2016, 02:25 PM
There is a world of difference IMO between some sexual suggestiveness and blatant misogyny, sorry.

Agreed. But the prior comment about The Beatles is still germane. Song lyrics that threaten homicide against a woman (or rather "little girl" (http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/beatles/runforyourlife.html)) out of sexual jealousy are at least as misogynistic as lyrics that objectify women as in Harper's walk-up song.

vintagetoppsguy
04-14-2016, 02:26 PM
And I think it's strange to suggest that someone's preferences in music say nothing about them.

Sure it is. There has actually been a lot of studies on this that proves that the music one listens to can define their character and personality.

packs
04-14-2016, 02:30 PM
Yeah right. I guess that goes for television shows and movies too right? Why even get to know a person on a human level when you can just check their playlist and DVR?

Peter_Spaeth
04-14-2016, 02:31 PM
Agreed. But the prior comment about The Beatles is still germane. Song lyrics that threaten homicide against a woman (or rather "little girl" (http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/beatles/runforyourlife.html)) out of sexual jealousy are at least as misogynistic as lyrics that objectify women as in Harper's walk-up song.

Calling someone a little girl in the context of the 60s is not the same, to me, as calling someone a bitch or ho today when it is universally understood that such terms are degrading. It's intentional.

We can be PC and cool and say oh it's all relative and it's just the times etc. but I strongly disagree.

Pilot172000
04-14-2016, 02:32 PM
Next time I see you guys playing checkers outside the Cracker Barrel make sure to say hi.

You will probably miss us because we get up before noon. JK

vintagetoppsguy
04-14-2016, 02:38 PM
Yeah right. I guess that goes for television shows and movies too right? Why even get to know a person on a human level when you can just check their playlist and DVR?

Do you realize that you've edited 8 of your last 10 posts in this thread? Just go back and look.

How about editing your posts to include your full name as per the rules?

packs
04-14-2016, 02:40 PM
I like to get my grammar and spelling right. I'm also not insulting anyone, posting anything political, making negative comments about a company or service and this isn't what I'd consider to be a heated debate. We're talking about walk up music.

Leon
04-14-2016, 02:52 PM
It's sad that anyone is writing, producing, or listening to this vile misogynistic trash, or are you telling me it's all tongue in cheek or something?

All my bitches the pick of the litter indeed.

Please tell me they don't allow what you wrote for that "song" to be played publicly somewhere? Whomever authorizes that should be out of a job immediately. It's just wrong on so many levels.

Leon
04-14-2016, 02:54 PM
Do you realize that you've edited 8 of your last 10 posts in this thread? Just go back and look.

How about editing your posts to include your full name as per the rules?

Yes, Packs (hi Packs) will need a full name by posts to continue any heated debate, as well as anyone else getting into one....same rules for everyone.

sbfinley
04-14-2016, 02:57 PM
You will probably miss us because we get up before noon. JK

Burn.

Leon
04-14-2016, 03:20 PM
Burn.

Ignorance is bliss. Everyone knows old people can't sleep.

Pilot172000
04-14-2016, 03:59 PM
Ignorance is bliss. Everyone knows old people can't sleep.

Their backs hurt too much and their prostates do too!!

Leon
04-14-2016, 04:25 PM
Their backs hurt too much and their prostates do too!!

Way more than that.....just about everything starts hurting :). Just wait, you'll see. It's not "if" but "when".

clydepepper
04-14-2016, 04:52 PM
Way more than that.....just about everything starts hurting :). Just wait, you'll see. It's not "if" but "when".

So far, going with replacement parts is good for me...so far...

Pilot172000
04-14-2016, 05:22 PM

As I typed that I was in my Chiropractor's office and am on a first name basis with my Urologist. I'm an old soul with an old body! Lol

xplainer
04-14-2016, 06:14 PM
Well, my two cents.

Bryce Harper is skilled, but a loser on so many levels. You can't not know that. I'm waiting for him to grow up and mature. But it is painful to watch and listen to.

Walk up music is simply ridiculous. When I heard Chipper Jones walk up, I lost a lot of respect for him. Not that it matters to him. I can't go further into it, due to forum rules. But I think enough said there.

The music you listen to, the movies you watch, the places you go all point to who you are. That simple. It is the sum of how you live your life.

Finally, music is defined by the music, not the lyrics. But lyrics are constructed to fit the genre. Rap lyrics would never work in country music and vice-versa. Just my take on this discussion.

Snapolit1
04-14-2016, 07:00 PM
Can someone give me an example of a walk up song they were appalled with that wasn't but a black rapper? Are any of the people on this board aware of with the misogyny in some Steely Dan songs? Just wondering. Or in some country songs.

I could give you 50 classic rock songs that you've been listening to your whole life with terrible lyrics that you wouldn't bat an eye at if it wasn't sung by Ice T or Ice Cube.

Peter_Spaeth
04-14-2016, 07:29 PM
Can someone give me an example of a walk up song they were appalled with that wasn't but a black rapper? Are any of the people on this board aware of with the misogyny in some Steely Dan songs? Just wondering. Or in some country songs.

I could give you 50 classic rock songs that you've been listening to your whole life with terrible lyrics that you wouldn't bat an eye at if it wasn't sung by Ice T or Ice Cube.

Sorry Steely Dan never portrayed women in anywhere near the vulgar terms that are fashionable today in some rap lyrics. And if you are suggesting that it is somehow racist hypocrisy to object to some of the rap lyrics, well, we disagree.

sbfinley
04-14-2016, 07:35 PM
Spiraling quickly.

Snapolit1
04-14-2016, 07:44 PM
Rolling Stines misogyny? Would you like a few examples.

The Police?

John Lennon?

Jimi Hendrix?

I could give you a Gilbert O Sullivan song that you wouldn't believe in the misogyny scale. Still played on the radio today.

obcmac
04-14-2016, 07:44 PM
Only sort of on topic...watched Bryce hit his 100 tonight. The grand slam bounced off the facing and landed less than 5 feet from me. I can see why Bryce rubs people the wrong way...but I like hearing what he has to say (even if I don't always agree)...and really do love watching him play.

Peter_Spaeth
04-14-2016, 08:18 PM
You want to compare A Woman's Place with lyrics about bitches and hoes? OK.

clydepepper
04-14-2016, 08:24 PM
Sorry Steely Dan never portrayed women in anywhere near the vulgar terms that are fashionable today in some rap lyrics. And if you are suggesting that it is somehow racist hypocrisy to object to some of the rap lyrics, well, we disagree.

...or, as one of Jim Carrey's alter-egos once famously said, 'Would it kill you to play a little Foghat?' :D

(Now, that's some walkup music!!)

vintagetoppsguy
04-14-2016, 08:28 PM
Rolling Stines misogyny? Would you like a few examples.

The Police?

John Lennon?

Jimi Hendrix?

I could give you a Gilbert O Sullivan song that you wouldn't believe in the misogyny scale. Still played on the radio today.

The discussion is about the lyrics of a particular song, not about a musician/group. You can like a musician/group, but not like one of his/their songs and you can like a song without liking the artist. And I understand what you are saying. There are certain songs that come on the radio that I object to the lyrics but like the musician, but I still change the station anyway. If you have no objection to the song in question, pull it up on Youtube and sit down with your kid(s) and listen to it as a family. Ask them what they think about it. No kids? Listen to it with your parents and ask them what they think about it. Let us know how it goes. And you slso need to read post #155 in this thread. If you want to continue the discussion, your full name really needs to be in your post.

Cliff Bowman
04-14-2016, 08:39 PM

"You're a bad dog, baby, but I still want you 'round." Haven't thought about that song in years :).

Peter_Spaeth
04-14-2016, 08:57 PM
I thought he meant A Woman's Place.

Cliff Bowman
04-15-2016, 06:25 AM
I thought he meant A Woman's Place.

Oops, my bad. I'm not even familiar with "A Woman's Place", I looked it up and it only reached #42 in the UK in 1974 and didn't chart at all in the US. I just figured he meant "Get Down", which was his last big hit in 1973, is certainly misogynist, and is occasionally played on oldie stations.

Peter_Spaeth
04-15-2016, 06:57 AM
Oops, my bad. I'm not even familiar with "A Woman's Place", I looked it up and it only reached #42 in the UK in 1974 and didn't chart at all in the US. I just figured he meant "Get Down", which was his last big hit in 1973, is certainly misogynist, and is occasionally played on oldie stations.

You could well be right that that's the one he had in mind. In any event, again, it seems a long way from that song to some of the rap gems.

Leon
04-15-2016, 07:04 AM
You could well be right that that's the one he had in mind. In any event, again, it seems a long way from that song to some of the rap gems.

When I read those lyrics you posted it absolutely validated my disgust for MLB and the fact I haven't liked it since the strike in '94.
So glad I am on the other side of the fence. And MLB actually thinks regular folks want to PAY to hear that kind of crap? I think it should almost be a crime to play it, seriously. And if I had kids there is no way in heck I would bring them to a game to hear that kind of "Music". Totally disguisting to me.

Edited to add, the lyrics were almost edited out of this thread.....but reality is, they already gets played at games. I really can't believe they allow it.

Pilot172000
04-15-2016, 07:09 AM
When I read those lyrics you posted it absolutely validated my disguist for MLB and the fact I haven't liked it since the strike in '94.
So glad I am on the other side of the fence. And MLB actually thinks regular folks want to PAY to hear that kind of crap? I think it should almost be a crime to play it, seriously. And if I had kids there is no way in heck I would bring them to a game to hear that kind of "Music". Totally disguisting to me.

Edited to add, the lyrics were almost edited out of this thread.....but reality is, they already gets played at games. I really can't believe they allow it.

I do have kids and It makes me nervous about taking them to the Ballpark in Arlington this summer if that's the kind of stuff they play.

Peter_Spaeth
04-15-2016, 07:44 AM
When I read those lyrics you posted it absolutely validated my disguist for MLB and the fact I haven't liked it since the strike in '94.

Next thing you know they'll start playing Steely Dan. :eek:

Peter_Spaeth
04-15-2016, 07:47 AM

The whole idea of walkup music is stupid IMO. Can't the Facebook/iphone/video game generation tolerate 10 seconds without input? I see these young people walking around or sitting at tables unable to take their eyes off the screen and just wonder what the cumulative effect is going to be.

Leon
04-15-2016, 07:51 AM
Next thing you know they'll start playing Steely Dan. :eek:

My favorite Youtube tunes while I am on the internet are 60s-70s rock and roll, none of them have lyrics like the ones posted. If they did I wouldn't listen to them. I actually think those lyrics posted are harmful to society too. But again, all of these are just (my) opinions. Others may love that crap and I respect their right to like antyhing they want to, as long as it doesn't hurt others. However, I think those kind of lyrics ARE IN FACT harmful and should be done away with. If a player doesn't like it, who cares? They can go flip burgers or something.....

Bliggity
04-15-2016, 08:14 AM
My favorite Youtube tunes while I am on the internet are 60s-70s rock and roll, none of them have lyrics like the ones posted. If they did I wouldn't listen to them.

Well now I've seen plenty of players walk up to "Walk This Way" (ok, maybe not recently, but 20 years ago), which has the filthiest lyrics that no one's ever paid attention to. The first verse of the song is about a kid masturbating because he can't get laid, until his Dad tells him to go "down on a muffin." Then he finds a girl who is a "real young bleeder," and they commence to getting it on.

Different generation, different words, still explicit.

Bliggity
04-15-2016, 08:17 AM
Calling someone a little girl in the context of the 60s is not the same, to me, as calling someone a bitch or ho today when it is universally understood that such terms are degrading. It's intentional.

We can be PC and cool and say oh it's all relative and it's just the times etc. but I strongly disagree.

The offending lyric isn't the "little girl" part.

"I'd rather see you dead, little girl, than to be with another man...catch you with another man, that's the end. ...I mean everything I've said. Baby, I'm determined and I'd rather see you dead."

Let's see that get played in an NFL stadium today.

Peter_Spaeth
04-15-2016, 08:19 AM
The offending lyric isn't the "little girl" part.

"I'd rather see you dead, little girl, than to be with another man."

Let's see that get played in an NFL stadium today.

It's an honest lyric about jealousy, it's not degrading women in general.

It came from an Elvis song, no?

Leon
04-15-2016, 08:23 AM
The difference is my 8 yr old won't understand the inferences in the Aerosmith song but will hear that vulgar and nauseating crap being played today. One is very explicit and one isn't. Big difference to me but we can certainly agree to disagree. There is no harm in that. I guess I would be a very poor MLB commissioner because I guarantee that vulgarity wouldn't be spewed over my loudspeakers. Yeap, different times no doubt. I need to head to the hills and be by myself (with my dogs) if that is what we are coming to :). To me it's just wrong.

Well now I've seen plenty of players walk up to "Walk This Way" (ok, maybe not recently, but 20 years ago), which has the filthiest lyrics that no one's ever paid attention to. The first verse of the song is about a kid masturbating because he can't get laid, until his Dad tells him to go "down on a muffin." Then he finds a girl who is a "real young bleeder," and they commence to getting it on.

Different generation, different words, still explicit.

Bliggity
04-15-2016, 08:29 AM
I guess I would be a very poor MLB commissioner because I guarantee that vulgarity wouldn't be spewed over my loudspeakers.

I don't think I've seen this in the thread before, but forgive me if I'm wrong. Do we have any indication that any of the explicit lyrics were actually played over the PA? Usually the walkup is about 10 seconds, and you don't even get to the words. I'd imagine the Nats/Yankees/whoever would just play 10 seconds of the song without any offensive lyrics.

Peter_Spaeth
04-15-2016, 08:30 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misogyny_in_hip_hop_culture

Leon
04-15-2016, 08:41 AM
I think Peter just posted something about this as I didn't know but was only going by the post. That being said, I would defend the right of folks to listen to that music on their own but I don't believe it is suitable for children. And if any oldie song, which I like, has vulgar lyrics I wouldn't play it either. This isn't about what is new or what is old, this is about morals and what I want my kids to grow up around. I wish I had had it beaten into me as a kid but I didn't.
I understand children will be exposed to everything and all of the time because of the internet. But when at the ballpark maybe we could cut them some slack and make it a wholesome thing again? I would vote for it and maybe even be interested again. I completely understand I could be in the minority on my position and that is ok too. All is well and to each their own...

edited to add, it looks as though that article posted didn't answer the question. If those lyrics are not played at MLB then I will do my best Gilda Radner and go with.....Never Mind

I don't think I've seen this in the thread before, but forgive me if I'm wrong. Do we have any indication that any of the explicit lyrics were actually played over the PA? Usually the walkup is about 10 seconds, and you don't even get to the words. I'd imagine the Nats/Yankees/whoever would just play 10 seconds of the song without any offensive lyrics.

Joshchisox08
04-15-2016, 08:47 AM
The whole idea of walkup music is stupid IMO. Can't the Facebook/iphone/video game generation tolerate 10 seconds without input? I see these young people walking around or sitting at tables unable to take their eyes off the screen and just wonder what the cumulative effect is going to be.

Maybe it's to try and psych the opponent out? Maybe to amp up the batter going to the plate?

Pretty sure Mariano Rivera used "Enter Sandman" no I'm no Metallica fan but I do know that "some" people would find their music to be intimidating. Mo's job was to put the batters to sleep :D

Bliggity
04-15-2016, 08:49 AM
I think Peter just posted something about this as I didn't know but was only going by the post. That being said, I would defend the right of folks to listen to that music on their own but I don't believe it is suitable for children. And if any oldie song, which I like, has vulgar lyrics I wouldn't play it either. This isn't about what is new or what is old, this is about morals and what I want my kids to grow up around. I wish I had had it beaten into me as a kid but I didn't.
I understand children will be exposed to everything and all of the time because of the internet. But when at the ballpark maybe we could cut them some slack and make it a wholesome thing again? I would vote for it and maybe even be interested again. I completely understand I could be in the minority on my position and that is ok too. All is well and to each their own...

edited to add, it looks as though that article posted didn't answer the question. If those lyrics are not played at MLB then I will do my best Gilda Radner and go with.....Never Mind

Well I don't disagree with you about not wanting those lyrics blared over the PA. I just can't imagine that the Yankees would actually play "Fuck my enemies, fuck my foes" over the PA as Jeter steps up. Same with Harper. Yeah, Harper picked a crude song, and people who are familiar with the song would see the crudeness (and humor?) in it. But a kid at the ballpark who hears a few seconds of music without the offending lyrics included isn't going to notice anything or make that connection. So for me, unless we somehow know that the actual lyrics were played during the 10-second walkup, this seems like a nonissue.

Peter_Spaeth
04-15-2016, 08:57 AM
Well I don't disagree with you about not wanting those lyrics blared over the PA. I just can't imagine that the Yankees would actually play "Fuck my enemies, fuck my foes" over the PA as Jeter steps up. Same with Harper. Yeah, Harper picked a crude song, and people who are familiar with the song would see the crudeness (and humor?) in it. But a kid at the ballpark who hears a few seconds of music without the offending lyrics included isn't going to notice anything or make that connection. So for me, unless we somehow know that the actual lyrics were played during the 10-second walkup, this seems like a nonissue.

And when the kid who worships Harper finds out what song it is and goes home and googles it?

Peter_Spaeth
04-15-2016, 08:59 AM
Maybe it's to try and psych the opponent out? Maybe to amp up the batter going to the plate?

Pretty sure Mariano Rivera used "Enter Sandman" no I'm no Metallica fan but I do know that "some" people would find their music to be intimidating. Mo's job was to put the batters to sleep :D

I find the game itself sufficiently entertaining that all the music, orgasmic scoreboards, etc. are a stupid distraction. I get that the video game generation is different.

sbfinley
04-15-2016, 09:03 AM

Leon -and others-, I find it safe it assume that the Ballpark (and the Nationals) don't allow parts of the song/s with questionable or offensive lyrics to be played in front of thousands of people. I could be wrong (haven't been to a home Nats game since 2010), but rational expectation leads me to believe that. My 4 year old son received the newest Chipmunks movie for Easter. I came home from last week to find him and my wife singing Sir Mixalot while sitting the table as evidently three talking squirrels sing it in the movie. I didn't go back and watch the film to make sure no questionable lyrics for kids were mentioned because A) the previous Chipmunk films I watched were god awful and B) I have a reasonable expectation that 20th Century Fox didn't include "Alot of pimps won't like this song 'cause them punks lie to hit it and quit it, But I'd rather stay and play 'cause I'm long and I'm strong, And I'm down to get the friction on" in a children's movie about talking squirrels that somehow grossed a quarter of a billion dollars. I would find it safe assume that 85% of people who will hear or heard the portion played before Harper's at-bat have no idea what the song is or what it is about. The other 15% probably have it on their iphone. You could argue that your kid might google it because he heard at the ballpark, but in that case your son/daughter knows how search the web and there is an entire universe of information and content they are likely already filtering through. Less disagreeably, if you haven't been a fan of the game since 94' I implore you to come back. The league currently has the greatest influx of young talent in a half a century.

The music you listen to, the movies you watch, the places you go all point to who you are. That simple. It is the sum of how you live your life.

I've had two careers in two vastly different industries. I previously worked for a University and I currently run a restaurant. I enjoyed my time in education and other than I was offered more money to switch I'd likely still be there. I'll say this though, the people I have a pleasure to work with now are some of the greatest collection of human beings on the planet. The music you listen to, the movies you watch, and the places you go do not define you. How you live your life in treating those both stranger and kin define who you are. I don't consider my age (32) "old" but there is clearly a generation gap between me and the majority of my employees (18-23). They listen to music I find absurd, watch movies I'll likely never view, snapchat incessantly, and everyday there is a new word to describe how cool or uncool something is. Those that aren't in the college age demographic often have had a personal issue or two. You don't set out to be a middle aged line cook or waiter, although some of them make great money. Out of my 45 employees there might be five who under this absurd definition of character would qualify as upstanding or however we're judging people by their media consumed, language used, clothing worn, or places attended. What they do, however, is work hard for long hours with a smile and high five at the end of day and night. Some of them work 50-55 hours a week, raise kids, and go to school. When a fellow employee lost everything in a fire they raised and contributed enough time and money to immediately house the family, put clothes on their back, and replace the kids' favorite toys and electronics even though for most it was needed or could be used in their own household. Yet, when the doors are locked and last customer leaves they play their own music which often includes lyrics similar to what has been copied and pasted here - and I'll take them over many of the more "professional" peers I've interacted with in my lifetime.

Steven Finley

darwinbulldog
04-15-2016, 09:10 AM
Bravo, all of that.

egri
04-15-2016, 09:17 AM
When I was a senior in high school, for the school's airband competition, the sophomore class's theme was England, so their songs were all from British bands, including One Direction. They wanted to include Live While We're Young, which the principal objected to because one of the lines is

Hey girl it’s now or never, it’s now or never
Don't over-think just let it go
And if we get together, yeah, get together
Don’t let the pictures leave your phone

In the end, what happened is kind of what Bliggity described. They used part of the refrain of the song, not the part I quoted above. The lines that made the final cut were:

Hey girl I’m waiting on ya, I’m waiting on ya
Come on and let me sneak you out
And have a celebration, a celebration
The music up, the windows down
(...)
Let’s go crazy, crazy, crazy ’til we see the sun
I know we only met but let’s pretend it’s love
And never, never, never stop for anyone
Tonight let’s get some and live while we’re young

Still suggestive, but in the same way that I Want To Hold Your Hand is (Paul didn't just want to hold her hand). If it's the same way with walk up music, where the explicit parts aren't played, I wouldn't have an issue with it.

Leon
04-15-2016, 09:27 AM
I agree....if the explicit parts are taken out, not near as bad. I don't find these lyrics as offensive as the others. They aren't as explicit and leave it to the imagination. Children shouldn't know about a lot of those things so they have nothing to imagine :) ...I know they do BUT They have plenty of places and times to learn them, at the ballpark watching baseball doesn't need to be one of them. End of rant.....back to the cards for me, which I enjoy very much.

BTW, I love the game of baseball and am about to start playing softball again after a slight injury (old age).

When I was a senior in high school, for the school's airband competition, the sophomore class's theme was England, so their songs were all from British bands, including One Direction. They wanted to include Live While We're Young, which the principal objected to because one of the lines is

Hey girl it’s now or never, it’s now or never
Don't over-think just let it go
And if we get together, yeah, get together
Don’t let the pictures leave your phone

In the end, what happened is kind of what Bliggity described. They used part of the refrain of the song, not the part I quoted above. The lines that made the final cut were:

Hey girl I’m waiting on ya, I’m waiting on ya
Come on and let me sneak you out
And have a celebration, a celebration
The music up, the windows down
(...)
Let’s go crazy, crazy, crazy ’til we see the sun
I know we only met but let’s pretend it’s love
And never, never, never stop for anyone
Tonight let’s get some and live while we’re young

Still suggestive, but in the same way that I Want To Hold Your Hand is (Paul didn't just want to hold her hand). If it's the same way with walk up music, where the explicit parts aren't played, I wouldn't have an issue with it.

vintagetoppsguy
04-15-2016, 09:34 AM
Lyrics bleeped out or not, I still agree with Peter here.

And when the kid who worships Harper finds out what song it is and goes home and googles it?

Edited to add: When I was a kid, I did exactly that so I am speaking from experience. Google wasn't around back then, but there were still other sources from which I could copy lyrics. One of the songs I copied down was Quiet Riot's "Cum on Feel the Noize". I didn't even know what that meant at the time, but my mom found the lyrics I had copied down and had a cow.

Pilot172000
04-15-2016, 11:11 AM
Lyrics bleeped out or not, I still agree with Peter here.

Edited to add: When I was a kid, I did exactly that so I am speaking from experience. Google wasn't around back then, but there were still other sources from which I could copy lyrics. One of the songs I copied down was Quiet Riot's "Cum on Feel the Noize". I didn't even know what that meant at the time, but my mom found the lyrics I had copied down and had a cow.

Heard it on the way to work with my two older boys ages 9 and 4. That was scandalous stuff as a kid. Still uneasy with it with my kids in the car.

the 'stache
04-20-2016, 07:02 AM
Whatever his walk up song, it's working. The guy is on a monster tear right now.

His last six games:

.421 AVG (9 for 21), 6 runs scored, 5 home runs (2 grand slams), 15 RBI, 2 BB, 3 K. His slash line is .440/1.143/1.583.

The Bowman Chrome auto that I've got of his is going for $1,200 on Ebay. That's insane.

Peter_Spaeth
04-20-2016, 07:10 AM
I just looked, it seems there are something like 358 different versions of his rookie card. :D And that's without counting 4 years of pre-rookies.

birdman42
04-20-2016, 08:49 PM
Harper as the face of baseball? How about a bracket challenge here.

Harper, or a racist psychopath?
Harper, or a drunkard?
Harper, or an antisocial workaholic?
Harper, or a greenie-popping drunkard?
I'm sure we could go on.

Even if you think Harper is an egotistical jerk who hasn't earned the right to talk, he's entertaining. And no matter what else it is, baseball as a business is all about entertainment.

Oh, and two slams in one week? I was out with friends last night, and it seemed like every time I looked up the Nats were at bat. The Marlins must have been up during the commercial breaks. Anyway, I'd stop my conversation to watch Harper bat. Now that's Must-See TV.

Bill

Leon
04-21-2016, 08:57 AM
Train wrecks are always attendance-getters. No doubt he has a lot of talent, so does Josh Hamilton too though. And personally, I think he (Josh) acts like an idiot. And anyone who has that crap kind of song, simlar to the one posted, for a walk up song is acting like an idiot.
And you are right, it is 100% about business. I couldn't agree more. And that is sort of unfortunate to me. I know these are "a changing times".....sigh

I would rather surf the net or play with my dogs than pay enormous amounts of money to support people like that. I know I am in the minority and that's ok too. We should all do what makes us happy as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

Harper as the face of baseball? How about a bracket challenge here.

Harper, or a racist psychopath?
Harper, or a drunkard?
Harper, or an antisocial workaholic?
Harper, or a greenie-popping drunkard?
I'm sure we could go on.

Even if you think Harper is an egotistical jerk who hasn't earned the right to talk, he's entertaining. And no matter what else it is, baseball as a business is all about entertainment.

Oh, and two slams in one week? I was out with friends last night, and it seemed like every time I looked up the Nats were at bat. The Marlins must have been up during the commercial breaks. Anyway, I'd stop my conversation to watch Harper bat. Now that's Must-See TV.

Bill

Snapolit1
04-21-2016, 09:14 AM
If I only cheered for sports figures who supported my view of the world I'm not sure they could field a team, much less a league.

Hot Springs Bathers
04-21-2016, 09:25 AM
I was in D.C. last week and actually walked to a game against the Braves on Monday night. First hint, don't walk to this ballpark, I made several "new friends" on the way and found that my my 61 year old legs still run pretty well.

It does appear that massive changes are happening around the ballpark so it should be fine in the near future.

When I walked up to the ticket window I asked what was available and was told $5.00 sit where you want! A cool night in the early season, the stadium staff was wonderful and very accommodating.

I sat near right field to watch Harper and his play was outstanding, a 2 run double and a sliding catch. He interacted well with the fans and to be very honest the walk-up music is just that music, no lyrics. Being 61 I would not have known what the music was anyway.

Not defending him just saying I saw nothing out of line, I stayed until the final out and took a cab back. The park was full of 25-35 year olds much more interested in the many bars throughout the park than the game. Once again, early season.

Leon
04-21-2016, 09:26 AM
If I only cheered for sports figures who supported my view of the world I'm not sure they could field a team, much less a league.

That is exactly why I have my view on MLB.
I support many things that are not my exact view, but ones that I will not tolerate in my life (see song lyrics), I choose not to support. And I never came back from the '94 strike anyway. We all support or don't support things for our own reasons. It's all good.

Snapolit1
04-21-2016, 09:33 AM
I love the game too much to walk away. I look at it like the Ocean. Never going to ruin it no matter how hard people might try.

Leon
04-21-2016, 09:38 AM
I love the game too much to walk away. I look at it like the Ocean. Never going to ruin it no matter how hard people might try.

I love the game too and hope I play softball in the league I am in for the rest of my life. Our oldest guys are over 80. We all love the game. I just don't love MLB. I won't hold it against everyone else as well as I hope it wouldn't be held against me. If you love MLB I am happy for you (and the other 300M in the US that do). I won't try to change anyone or anything. I pray for health, happiness and world peace.

ullmandds
04-21-2016, 10:27 AM

++1

rjackson44
04-21-2016, 10:32 AM
agree with leon ,ever hear of albert belle omg lol

Pilot172000
04-21-2016, 10:59 AM

If I only cheered for people who supported my view of the world, I am not sure I could enjoy a decent game of Solitaire.

Pilot172000
04-21-2016, 11:01 AM
agree with leon ,ever hear of albert belle omg lol

I met Albert Belle at a Spring Training game against the Marlins in 1993. He signed my ball and was amazingly nice to me. I told him I was from Baton Rouge and my parents graduated from LSU so that could have had something to do with it.

Snapolit1
04-21-2016, 11:52 AM
Last night I was at Citizens Bank Park in Philly, 2 hours before game time, sunny and 70, a bar beyond the wall in center field where I sat on a corner stool, drinking a large microbrew, watching the Mets batting practice. Heaven on earth. Just perfection.

To each his own. If we all liked the same thing the world would be a pretty boring place.

Iron Horse
04-21-2016, 04:06 PM
Well said Steve. Love the game and love the stars Trout, Harper, Kershaw... :D

Peter_Spaeth
06-05-2016, 10:10 AM
Just bumping to note that Harper is now hitting .238. It seems the strategy of not giving him anything to hit for a while got to him mentally. I think the Cubs started that and other teams picked up on it.

CMIZ5290
06-05-2016, 03:46 PM
Just bumping to note that Harper is now hitting .238. It seems the strategy of not giving him anything to hit for a while got to him mentally. I think the Cubs started that and other teams picked up on it.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy....

Joshchisox08
06-06-2016, 04:36 AM
Not the biggest fan of Harper......... That said I believe he's the modern day version of A.J. Pierzynski. If he's on your team you love him, if he's not you hate him.

clydepepper
06-06-2016, 05:44 AM

Not to play devil's advocate but when I was his age, I made a ton of mistakes.

Mike Trout is benefiting greatly (IMO) from having Pujols around as a mentor...Harper, whether he'd be receptive to one or not, has never had another great hitter to learn from.

There are enough players in MLB that, if one disappoints me, I just move on to the next 'flavor of the week'.

There will always be some good, high-quality guys out there performing everyday like our opinions matter to them...and that's something to be thankful for.

I can enjoy a spectacular defensive play no matter who does it and no matter who they do it against.

Admittedly, it's a little harder to appreciate a bunch of home runs coming against your 'favorite' team (ex: this past weekend Dodgers doing it to the Braves).

I love a great pitchers' duel, though I do have my favorite pitchers and would prefer that they be the ones who come out on top.

There's a lot to like out there!

Peter_Spaeth
06-06-2016, 06:54 AM
I blame Baker in part. When they started pitching around Harper with regularity, instead of leaving a slumping Zimmerman hitting behind him, he should have put Murphy there who is the leading hitter in baseball. Hard to pitch around a guy when a guy hitting .390 is next. He eventually did that but it took a long time. In the meantime Harper dropped like 100 points.

ValKehl
06-06-2016, 04:24 PM
Not the biggest fan of Harper......... That said I believe he's the modern day version of A.J. Pierzynski. If he's on your team you love him, if he's not you hate him.

The Nationals are my team, but I am NOT enamored with Harper!
Val

CMIZ5290
06-06-2016, 06:07 PM
The Nationals are my team, but I am NOT enamored with Harper!
Val

The Nationals are a great team, and Harper is an exceptional talent. Having said that, how much does his B.S. affect the other 24 guys on the team??

kcohen
06-08-2016, 03:57 PM
What BS? Guess clueless fans following from afar typically prefer the behavior of Machado and Ventura.

CMIZ5290
06-08-2016, 04:41 PM
What BS? Guess clueless fans following from afar typically prefer the behavior of Machado and Ventura.

Not sure what you meant, but my comment pertaining Harper was directly in relationship with his team mates and coaches, not fans. At some point, the talent of one ass hole does not trump the chemistry of the rest of the team and coaches....By the way Ken, my oldest son now lives in Alexandria! Small World....

Jason
06-08-2016, 07:11 PM
Ill start with a disclaimer as the Nationals are my team and Harper is a player I like watching.

That said I have to agree with another posters view that he is young and we all make mistakes at that age. Couple that with being a millionaire many times over and not having to worry about your attitude at work having bearing on your job or the fear of losing said job and having to pay bills, etc. I feel old for saying this but its just his generation. If you think its bad now wait until the next out of this world heralded prospect comes along 10 years or so from now.

Leon
06-09-2016, 06:37 AM
Ill start with a disclaimer as the Nationals are my team and Harper is a player I like watching.

That said I have to agree with another posters view that he is young and we all make mistakes at that age. Couple that with being a millionaire many times over and not having to worry about your attitude at work having bearing on your job or the fear of losing said job and having to pay bills, etc. I feel old for saying this but its just his generation. If you think its bad now wait until the next out of this world heralded prospect comes along 10 years or so from now.

Unfortunately this is true. Maybe he will grow up with age. Most of us do.

kcohen
06-09-2016, 09:26 AM
Not sure what you meant, but my comment pertaining Harper was directly in relationship with his team mates and coaches, not fans. At some point, the talent of one ass hole does not trump the chemistry of the rest of the team and coaches....By the way Ken, my oldest son now lives in Alexandria! Small World....

Guess my point is is that he is under a microscope and held to a ridiculous standard.

CMIZ5290
06-09-2016, 08:00 PM
Guess my point is is that he is under a microscope and held to a ridiculous standard.

No doubt about it...But he could do his self a huge favor by doing the right things in the eyes of his coaches and team mates. Forget about the media because they can't stand him. If he does the other things like I mentioned, even they will come around. I just wonder how many of his fellow team mates and coaches really like him and are willing to stand up for him....