PDA

View Full Version : Pennant Question - help needed

Shoeless Moe
03-09-2016, 11:38 AM
Hoping for some help from vintage pennant experts.

This guy sold on Ebay for $135, there is some corner damage, in general how much would you say the corner damage or tip damage takes away from the value. 10%?, 25%?, 50%?

Or varies depending on scarcity?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-1930s-40s-New-York-Giants-Pennant-/151982182373?hash=item2362d80fe5%3Ag%3AT5sAAOSwnLd WquB7&nma=true&si=vTKKKf74QjiqxKk4otn51tH5PCw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Duluth Eskimo
03-09-2016, 12:24 PM
I would say it would lower the price by 30-50%, but I noticed the item was well photographed and showed any and all damage. Is this something someone is asking for a refund on or are you wondering about a price on a similar pennant? I would have guess a pennant like that would sell more in the $50-75 range with the damage shown. If in top condition, more like $200. Jason

Shoeless Moe
03-09-2016, 02:03 PM
Thanks Jason, I was just asking in general. I bought my 1st pennant a few weeks ago and would just like to know going forward what the view is on condition in regards to price on vintage pennants.

Duluth Eskimo
03-09-2016, 09:24 PM
I should also add for everyone's benefit that a lot of high end pennant collectors will not invest / collect pennants that have any significant damage. I have a number of pennants in my personal collection that have some damage and it doesn't really bother me as I dont think it significantly affects the display value of the piece, but others will balk at almost any damage.

ooo-ribay
03-09-2016, 09:31 PM
I should also add for everyone's benefit that a lot of high end pennant collectors will not invest / collect pennants that have any significant damage. I have a number of pennants in my personal collection that have some damage and it doesn't really bother me as I dont think it significantly affects the display value of the piece, but others will balk at almost any damage.

Agreed. If I see a pennant I "need"/want, I will always attempt to buy it almost regardless of condition. I will then try to upgrade (maybe) as time goes forward. But as Jason says, condition is EVERYTHING to some collectors and those guys would stay away.

perezfan
03-10-2016, 10:18 AM
I am one of "those guys"...

I almost always hold out for a nice (EX+ or better) condition example. The few times I've bought a "beater", I always got killed on the subsequent upgrade. Plus the visible flaws just bug me more than most people. I end up looking more at the flaw than the pennant itself (OCD, I know...)

As a long-time pennant collector, I'd personally deduct at least 50% for a missing corner, torn tip, staining, or significant hole. But as stated, I almost always pass on these types, unless it's something from the teens and/or exceedingly rare/one-of-a-kind. It just depends on the particular pennant and severity of the flaw. The other deal-killer for me is ink writing on the front of the pennant. But that's just my personal preference :p

Shoeless Moe
03-10-2016, 10:48 AM
Thanks for all you guys for chiming in, great knowledge and opinions!