PDA

View Full Version : Nellie Fox autograph question for any Fox experts

keithsky
03-08-2016, 03:56 PM
I have been collecting Nellie Fox autographs for a number of years and all of his autographs I have seen in auctions and have personally owned have his first name Nelson on all the autographs. I'm thinking of purchasing one that has his first name Nellie on it instead of Nelson which I have never seen on any other item before. Anybody have any in their collection with his first name Nellie and not Nelson. Not sure if its scarce or maybe would have signed for somebody asking for him to sign that way but have never seen that before just Nelson on everything I have seen or owned.

sbfinley
03-10-2016, 09:29 AM
Personally I only recall seeing "Nelson" signatures, but then again he isn't a name I search for everyday. I know what you mean though. I've owned 20-30 Tommy Bridges signed items and I search for him regularly. In the past decade I've seen two items signed "Tommy" as opposed to his usual "Tom". One was garbage and I kept walking, the other I purchased. I'm confident in the one I purchased. His last name is spot on, the seller was someone I trusted, and his first name matched up with a facsimile signature from a period endorsed item. Every time I look at it, however, it just looks wrong. I'm so conditioned to his "Tom Bridges" signature is just screams 'no', although I'm sure it's fine.

keithsky
03-10-2016, 10:44 AM
Hi Steve thanks for your comment. I know what you mean with your Tom Bridges autos. The Nellie Fox ones are always "Nelson" and the one I'm looking at with 'Nellie" looks real to me based on all the ones I have owned and seen so like you I would feel comfortable with it but always just that little question mark in my head that would wonder. I even thought if I would send it to PSA or JSA what they would do since they might reject it as having no exemplers in there files and rule in undecided then I'm still questioning.

slidekellyslide
03-13-2016, 01:15 PM
I have a 1948 Lincoln Athletics minor league team signed ball that is signed "Nellie". In fact I have now seen 3 1948 Lincoln team signed balls that are all signed "Nellie". Apparently he began his career signing that way.

keithsky
03-13-2016, 03:35 PM
Wow thanks Dan I wasn't sure if anybody else had any items with the word Nellie on there. Thanks so much for posting the picture to let me know that. Much appreciated