PDA

View Full Version : Uncut Sheet of Proofs - To Cut or Not to Cut

robw1959
03-07-2016, 09:10 AM
My apologies to the seller, if you are a Net54 member, but I just picked up an uncut sheet of 1970 Topps football Super Proof cards on eBay. There are supposedly only 100 of these in existence, and this one is pretty pristine looking. Note that the cards which are supposedly short-prints, the single printed ones in the center column are not Nobis, Hayes, Kapp, Lamonica, Namath, Webster, and Griese, as is commonly assumed, because those have been double-printed on this sheet. So evidently, Topps wanted to mix up the single prints on these sheets. Now I need some advice about how to maximize its value. Should I cut it up into individual cards (I have a steady hand with an exacto-knife)? If I do this, you would have to really twist my arm to get me to submit them for grading. I don't believe PSA or SGC will even grade hand-cut cards, so that leaves Beckett. But at the grading price of $17 each (the cheapest option), it isn't very practical. Of course, the other option is to keep it as an uncut proof sheet. Should I keep it or cut it?

Just for reference, here is the URL from the eBay listing (I had trouble uploading it):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Topps-Super-Proof-Uncut-Football-Full-Sheet-Vintage-FRAMED-RARE-/322014139783?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=MczV135As79ygsb8%252FnkpdNh%252FN2I%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Leon
03-07-2016, 09:18 AM
This question should be in another (post war) section but the question in general can apply to our pre-war cards too. In pre-war we usually say not to cut stuff up but not always, by any means. Good luck.

robw1959
03-07-2016, 10:23 AM
Oops! I will adjust accordingly.

drcy
03-07-2016, 12:55 PM
A lot of proof singles on the market, including color separation proofs, only exist as single because someone cut up the sheets. As proofs they were only made to be sheets.

This includes all the Topps color separations proofs sold by Topps Vault. These were cut up into singles years after the fact for salability.

This also explains why I think they should only be graded as authentic.