PDA

View Full Version : Value Question and Validity.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
03-05-2016, 12:45 PM
Hey,

Guy callled me to take a look at his collection.. One item is this.

Does this look real?

Never have seen this photo before. What would the value be approx.?

Lordstan
03-05-2016, 01:06 PM
That signature is absolutely horrible. Being that the sig isn't real, the photo has no value. Sorry.

Sophiedog
03-05-2016, 01:07 PM
That is the worst Mantle ever....Never even seen that style before. The guy may have signed that one himself.... The photo I have seen. Please don't buy any autographs without asking opinions here first. I'm not picking on you just don't want you to get stuck.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
03-05-2016, 01:37 PM
That is the worst Mantle ever....Never even seen that style before. The guy may have signed that one himself.... The photo I have seen. Please don't buy any autographs without asking opinions here first. I'm not picking on you just don't want you to get stuck.

Did not buy it. People call me from time to time with items for sale. I figured I'd come here first. I learned my lesson ahaha

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
03-06-2016, 03:25 PM
Did not buy it. People call me from time to time with items for sale. I figured I'd come here first. I learned my lesson ahaha

I have the chance to pick this up through Craigslist. Wanna run this my the board before anything. What do you think?

Lordstan
03-06-2016, 03:44 PM
Before I answer, what do you think? Did you do any research on your own on it before just asking? I have always found that the information I learned on my own always stuck with me more than when people just told me he right answer. There a lot of good images out there, including on Net54, that you can find to compare. The search button is your friend.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
03-06-2016, 03:50 PM
Before I answer, what do you think? Did you do any research on your own on it before just asking? I have always found that the information I learned on my own always stuck with me more than when people just told me he right answer. There a lot of good images out there, including on Net54, that you can find to compare. The search button is your friend.

I looked before posting. To me it looks good, the J and the G's look good but the beginning of the last name is a little different than some I have seen. But I honestly can't tell about flow and slant like I know a lot of you guys can. It looks different than the first one I posted which I thought was possibly fake lol so I'm confused that's all.

thetruthisoutthere
03-06-2016, 04:08 PM

Well written, Mark.

One of the reasons I don't opine that much anymore is because I can't count the number of times a member posts questions about an autograph(s) and after a few "thumbs up," we see it posted on the B/S/T side.

Many of us (Richard, Shelly, David, Mark, myself, etc) have helped others for a long, long time giving sharing our knowledge and time freely.

I'd like to see a few of the people who post questions about autographs, taking the time to learn on their own.

There have been a few instances where an OP posts a question about an autograph and gets the "thumbs up" from a few members and then they list it on the B/S/T side and it's there that I will opine "That it's not authentic."

I'd like to see some effort to learn from some of these people.

And I'm not directing this comment to the OP here, but in general, I'd like to see some effort from the OPs who post questions about autographs.

Duluth Eskimo
03-06-2016, 04:16 PM
Effort is overrated

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
03-06-2016, 04:17 PM
Well written, Mark.

One of the reasons I don't opine that much anymore is because I can't count the number of times a member posts questions about an autograph(s) and after a few "thumbs up," we see it posted on the B/S/T side.

Many of us (Richard, Shelly, David, Mark, myself, etc) have helped others for a long, long time giving sharing our knowledge and time freely.

I'd like to see a few of the people who post questions about autographs, taking the time to learn on their own.

There have been a few instances where an OP posts a question about an autograph and gets the "thumbs up" from a few members and then they list it on the B/S/T side and it's there that I will opine "That it's not authentic."

I'd like to see some effort to learn from some of these people.

And I'm not directing this comment to the OP here, but in general, I'd like to see some effort from the OPs who post questions about autographs.

I understand your frusteration, but I just picked up a joe D ball a week ago and asked for help on that as well. I'm keeping the balls as investments just don't want to get burned. I have been very very active on this board and am trying to learn as fast as I can, but there's no substitute for time. I can't have the knowledge people that have been doing this forever have. I'm trying. Trust that. Just wanna be 100%. You'll never see me ask and then post something for sale here. Ever.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
03-06-2016, 04:45 PM
I understand your frusteration, but I just picked up a joe D ball a week ago and asked for help on that as well. I'm keeping the balls as investments just don't want to get burned. I have been very very active on this board and am trying to learn as fast as I can, but there's no substitute for time. I can't have the knowledge people that have been doing this forever have. I'm trying. Trust that. Just wanna be 100%. You'll never see me ask and then post something for sale here. Ever.

Sorry if I rub people the wrong way on here, but if I knew what I will know a few years from now, Id definitely return the favor. I love this hobby and do it as a collector first. Being from NY, joe d and mantle and the greats definitely get my passion flowing (especially the Brooklyn Dodgers and Jackie). I just wanna make sure I'm not wastig money anymore. I have been learning a lot these past few months.

Would you guys mind just giving me the yes and know and telling me the comin characteristics and what to look for in a Joe D? Thanks

thetruthisoutthere
03-06-2016, 04:57 PM
Sorry if I rub people the wrong way on here, but if I knew what I will know a few years from now, Id definitely return the favor. I love this hobby and do it as a collector first. Being from NY, joe d and mantle and the greats definitely get my passion flowing (especially the Brooklyn Dodgers and Jackie). I just wanna make sure I'm not wastig money anymore. I have been learning a lot these past few months.

Would you guys mind just giving me the yes and know and telling me the comin characteristics and what to look for in a Joe D? Thanks

Like I wrote previously, my comments were not directed at you.

Mickey Mantle, Joe D., Ted Williams, etc., all had too-many-to-mention variations of there autograph.

Just have to keep studying them and one day hopefully, it will just hit you.

Everyone has their own method of studying autographs.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
03-06-2016, 05:04 PM
Like I wrote previously, my comments were not directly at you.

Mickey Mantle, Joe D., Ted Williams, etc., all had too-many-to-mention variations of there autograph.

Just have to keep studying them and one day hopefully, it will just hit you.

Everyone has their own method of studying autographs.

Thank you. So I should pass on this?

keithsky
03-06-2016, 05:13 PM
Just my opinion but there are plenty of Joe D baseballs out there and to buy one on Craigslists with no cert would be a red flag for me

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
03-06-2016, 05:20 PM
Just my opinion but there are plenty of Joe D baseballs out there and to buy one on Craigslists with no cert would be a red flag for me

I agree. But he wants 150. So it's a great investment opportunity if I can get it certed and hold it for the next 20 years. That's my thinking at least. But I'll steer clear of you guys tell me it looks bad. Thanks

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
03-06-2016, 05:36 PM

Only thing I see is the top of the D doesn't usually swoop into the M. Any opinions would be very much appreciated. Guy wants to meet tonight. Thanks for understanding.

thetruthisoutthere
03-06-2016, 05:39 PM
I agree. But he wants 150. So it's a great investment opportunity if I can get it certed and hold it for the next 20 years. That's my thinking at least. But I'll steer clear of you guys tell me it looks bad. Thanks

Investment opportunity?

Unless it's a unique item with Joe DiMaggio's autograph on it, I can't foresee Joe DiMaggio's autograph increasing in value for it to be an "investment."

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
03-06-2016, 05:58 PM
Investment opportunity?

Unless it's a unique item with Joe DiMaggio's autograph on it, I can't foresee Joe DiMaggio's autograph increasing in value for it to be an "investment."

Ok I just bought this book. I truly do try. @Thetruthisoutthere what is yoru opinion on this ball?

Baseball Hall of Fame Autographs: A Reference Guide Paperback – November 1, 2012
by Ron Keurajian (Author), Foreword by Fay Vincent (Author)

Duluth Eskimo
03-06-2016, 08:39 PM
Let me clarify what people are saying. Do your own homework. You are asking people for free advice so you can make money on their knowledge. Whether it is now or in the future, it's the same thing.

I do appreciate that you are not hiding your intentions because most people would, but it's not just an endless advice forum. I don't think you are trying to be that guy, but you are being that guy. Many people have given you advice on how to proceed and that would be to do your homework. If you had specific questions about different styles of DiMaggio, you would get more help. Your questions are basically "I dont have the time to do my own homework, I want to make money now". That doesn't fly. The experts on this forum have been giving away their opinions and free advice for years to collectors, but you have worn out your welcome on free advice recently. You also mentioned you don't sell, but you asked advice on your recent pin purchased ad then said you were going to flip the others you don't want. So obviously you do sell items you buy.

Please do your homework. The forum search feature would give you all the free reading you could handle for months.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
03-06-2016, 08:57 PM
Let me clarify what people are saying. Do your own homework. You are asking people for free advice so you can make money on their knowledge. Whether it is now or in the future, it's the same thing.

I do appreciate that you are not hiding your intentions because most people would, but it's not just an endless advice forum. I don't think you are trying to be that guy, but you are being that guy. Many people have given you advice on how to proceed and that would be to do your homework. If you had specific questions about different styles of DiMaggio, you would get more help. Your questions are basically "I dont have the time to do my own homework, I want to make money now". That doesn't fly. The experts on this forum have been giving away their opinions and free advice for years to collectors, but you have worn out your welcome on free advice recently. You also mentioned you don't sell, but you asked advice on your recent pin purchased ad then said you were going to flip the others you don't want. So obviously you do sell items you buy.

Please do your homework. The forum search feature would give you all the free reading you could handle for months.

Sounds good. Not trying to be that guy (sorry for wearing out my welcome) I'll try to figure this signature out on my own. I told the guy I'd take it for $150 because after comparing it to authentic signatures I feel there are many similar characteristics. Obviously I'm not sure, but I will use the search feature all night and cross my fingers that my gut is right. Otherwise, it's $150 gone BUT a lesson learned which is worth the $150 IMO. I understand you don't want to give free advice and I agree that you do not have to do anything you don't want to. If you knew me you would know my intentions are good and I'm what many people consider a great person, just a little too enthusiastic and move too fast sometimes which I don't mind cause that is what makes me me. Have a good night.

Duluth Eskimo
03-06-2016, 09:21 PM
I'm sure you are a good person and there is a lot of good advice on here. Search DiMaggio and start looking at previous threads. You should be able to get close to the answers you are looking for. You probably know this, but you generally get what you pay for. If you do your homework and are willing to take a burn occasionally, you can but many high quality autographs without a COA or LOA, but the guys you are interested are the most highly forged and what others that know are often looking for deals on. Be careful or you will be wasting your future investment.

gnaz01
03-07-2016, 03:28 AM
Ok I just bought this book.

Baseball Hall of Fame Autographs: A Reference Guide Paperback – November 1, 2012
by Ron Keurajian (Author), Foreword by Fay Vincent (Author)

One of the best books out there by far. That book is a fantastic source.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
03-07-2016, 09:13 AM
One of the best books out there by far. That book is a fantastic source.

yea I have read great reviews on this

Klrdds
03-08-2016, 02:47 PM
Buy Ron's book and study it and the other sources of examples available . Also use this site as a confirmation of your opinion and then address any dissenting opinion as to why that opinion differs from yours is my recommendation. The responsibility upon any purchase is ultimately yours not the members of this site. Education is the best guarantee of a successful purchase.
Lastly in my opinion Joe D, like so many others including Mantle and Ted Williams, is not an investment grade autograph unless on something very rare and unique.