PDA

View Full Version : The Collecting "Hunt" by percentage......

Leon
03-05-2016, 09:00 AM
I always hear the "hunt" is a lot of the fun in collecting. However, how much of the hunt is the fun to you, as a percentage of the whole of collecting?

pawpawdiv9
03-05-2016, 09:23 AM
I'm always looking for the best card I can get out of the money I have.
I don't care if its 20 bucks or talking 1k+. I always 'hunt' for the best example that suits my eye appeal and taste. For the lower-end of myself, I try to buy some boxes to rip (yeah that new stuff) and hope to pull something incredibly amazing.
Its all about the joy of having a fun time doing whatever
However I do get disturbed with all the bad things ongoing in the hobby, especially buying fake cards in holders. This is where we people just collect all the data we read here and inform ourselves onto better collecting and from being a victim.

Hot Springs Bathers
03-05-2016, 09:24 AM
Leon- Run a poll asking how much "ownership" rates on satisfaction!

SMPEP
03-05-2016, 09:55 AM
In my opinion, this poll has it all wrong. The "fun" is the long hard "hunt" that is finally rewarded with "ownership."

I've been chasing the 1952 Topps Grey back Reiser for many years now. When I get one (see what I did there!), it will have been an incredibly rewarding "hunt." Until I get one, this "hunt" has annoyed the hell out of me! (Damn you Pete Reiser!)

Cheers,
Patrick

vintagesportscollector
03-05-2016, 09:59 AM
If between the two polls it adds for me to 180+%, does that mean I collect Too much, or am I having Too much Fun?

Leon
03-05-2016, 10:09 AM
If between the two polls it adds for me to 180+%, does that mean I collect Too much, or am I having Too much Fun?

I laughed at that. I am at 160% but I think these should be taken on their own.

pokerplyr80
03-05-2016, 11:04 AM

Nothing wrong with having too much fun. In most cases any way. 140% here.

Republicaninmass
03-05-2016, 11:40 AM
90% The hunt in finding pricing errors on ebay

begsu1013
03-05-2016, 12:10 PM
90% The hunt in finding pricing errors on ebay

bazinga.

kmac32
03-05-2016, 02:20 PM
In my opinion, this poll has it all wrong. The "fun" is the long hard "hunt" that is finally rewarded with "ownership."

I've been chasing the 1952 Topps Grey back Reiser for many years now. When I get one (see what I did there!), it will have been an incredibly rewarding "hunt." Until I get one, this "hunt" has annoyed the hell out of me! (Damn you Pete Reiser!)

Cheers,
Patrick

Kind of like my hunt for W572 cards. Been stalled at 14 cards left for a long time and you start to wonder if the cards even exist. Still nice to look ans see what you have collected so far.

SMPEP
03-05-2016, 03:26 PM
Ken - I was actually going to list the final 9 W572s as my other example! I know that at least 5 of these last 9 exist, and 2 more were graded by one of the grading companies.

But Rapp and Barbare ... I can't find any evidence that they exist other than their inclusion in the checklists. (If you have them - please post a picture!)

Cheers,
Patrick

T206Collector
03-05-2016, 04:00 PM
I absolutely love hunting for signed T206 cards. But, when "Hunt's" auction knocks me out of bidding prematurely, and the prize escapes my greedy paws -- well, then it is absolutely excruciating and I contemplate "hobbycide"

kmac32
03-05-2016, 04:01 PM
Ken - I was actually going to list the final 9 W572s as my other example! I know that at least 5 of these last 9 exist, and 2 more were graded by one of the grading companies.

But Rapp and Barbare ... I can't find any evidence that they exist other than their inclusion in the checklists. (If you have them - please post a picture!)

Cheers,
Patrick

Dd not have them but I wish I did. Do you have both sets in sepia and white card stock? I knew you were collecting them last time we spoke. I still look for W572 but my focus has moved to T205 Cubs to relieve the boredom. Only W572 that I have in my set that you do not is Cadore. It is the only one I have ever seen.

03-05-2016, 08:41 PM
I voted 90%+, because there's nothing more satisfying than finally picking up a card you've been trying to find for a long time.

jefferyepayne
03-06-2016, 04:31 AM
I was gonna vote high on this poll but realized that I have as much fun talking to other collectors and hanging out with friends as I do 'hunting' for stuff. 50/50 for me.

jeff

JLange
03-06-2016, 06:04 AM
I enjoy the hunt quite a bit. Its literally thrilling to me to:
-see something I have never seen before, or
-see something for sale that rarely comes up for sale, or
-see something for sale I see often, but in considerably better condition, or
-see something I see often for sale at a high price, but now priced at a point where I could possibly obtain it.

When I can actually put hands on the item as the new owner, the feeling is a mix of awe, wonder, amazement, and pure satisfaction! That is the hunt for me.

I actually do enjoy owning the item then for quite some time, and will only consider selling if it no longer fits a collecting focus, which for me seems rare!

On the rare occasions I have sold items, though, occasionally I have experienced sellers remorse. This is especially true when I have a "new" collector focus that includes the item I just got rid of. Because of how I obtained the item in the first place, its extremely unlikely I will see another, in the same condition, at the same or better price, without substantial effort on my part, which causes me a mix of frustration and annoyance with myself. Better to keep and enjoy everything you buy!

ullmandds
03-06-2016, 08:47 AM
Honestly...in really thinking about what "the hunt" entails...scouring ebay...pouring through the myriad of auction houses...the bst...attempting to make trades with collectors who think their cards are the second coming of JC compared to yours...I thinking talking about "the hunt" is much more glamorous and enjoyable then actually performing the hunt!

The part of the "hunt" that I do enjoy is actually going to brick and mortar antique stores and "hunting" for treasures...or going to old school live auctions and bidding in a live setting...now I find that fun.