PDA

View Full Version : Pet peeve of the day

Snapolit1
03-03-2016, 11:37 AM
When you are negotiating a price for a card and all of a sudden the seller rejects you offer and boldly announces he "has to get" twenty bucks or thirty more for the item. "I have to get . . ." "Have to." I always wanted to ask why? Don't know why that irks me so much. Unless you need that extra twenty bucks to get out of jail or pay for the heart transplant, you don't really "have to get it...." but actually "want to get . . . ." twenty bucks more. Sellers (and not bashing sellers generally, as sometimes I am one) who use that just make me crazy. Maybe its just semantics and I'm an idiot. Why not just say its your final offer.

Apologies for venting. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

icollectDCsports
03-03-2016, 12:07 PM
When you are negotiating a price for a card and all of a sudden the seller rejects you offer and boldly announces he "has to get" twenty bucks or thirty more for the item. "I have to get . . ." "Have to." I always wanted to ask why? Don't know why that irks me so much. Unless you need that extra twenty bucks to get out of jail or pay for the heart transplant, you don't really "have to get it...." but actually "want to get . . . ." twenty bucks more. Sellers (and not bashing sellers generally, as sometimes I am one) who use that just make me crazy. Maybe its just semantics and I'm an idiot. Why not just say its your final offer.

Dealers, or folks who are otherwise sellers, often say things like that (also, including "I need $X) probably because that's what other sellers have said to them and it's just a way of getting through the awkwardness of negotiations. Doesn't really bother me. Another thing sellers sometimes say that I sort of roll my eyes at is "I need $X because of what I have into the item." It's fine because that may be the way the seller looks at it, but it's irrelevant to the prospective buyer.

brian1961
03-03-2016, 12:09 PM
Yeah, an abrupt change of heart and weaseling out of negotiations is a real turn-off. This same thing happened to me last year regarding a very hard to find modern card. I was furious with the guy.:mad: ---Brian Powell

bnorth
03-03-2016, 12:20 PM

Maybe the seller is actually just a collector and needs to get what they paid out of the card. They are not a dealer, flipper, or casual seller just a collector who changed what they collect and getting rid of something they no longer want. So if the card does not sell at their price they really don't care.

I know this scenario is rare but it does happen.