PDA

View Full Version : How leery should I be of damage from screw-down holders?

Bored5000
02-29-2016, 02:51 AM
In the past, I have read posts on here advising that screw-down holders can sometimes lead to damage when trying to remove the card from the holder. I am considering bidding on a scarce card from outside the four major sports (still a $300-400 card, though), but am somewhat leery because the card has apparently been stored in a screw-down holder for quite some time.

I know that every particular situation is different, but how common is damage from screw-down holders? What are the chances a card stored in a screw-down holder would be ruined trying to remove it from the holder?

Thanks in advance for any information or opinions.

Peter_Spaeth
02-29-2016, 05:50 AM
It should be easy enough for the seller to find out, no?

iowadoc77
02-29-2016, 06:32 AM
Just recently got out a few cards from childhood collection that were in these holders. One fared very well. The other not so much with surface damage. Neither were in a penny sleeve. In retrospect that would have been a great idea. But I agree with Peter. Seller should be able to remove the card and send a scan to make sure

Bored5000
02-29-2016, 06:53 AM
I have sent the seller a message asking if he could post a scan of the card outside the screw-down holder, so I guess I will see how that goes.

iowadoc77
02-29-2016, 06:59 AM
If the answer is no or no response then I believe your question has been answered...

Bored5000
02-29-2016, 07:03 AM
If the answer is no or no response then I believe your question has been answered...

I know. :)