PDA

View Full Version : 1929 Certified's Ice Cream Cubs Pins

CubFan1954
02-28-2016, 12:20 PM
New member here - I am enjoying browsing around, reliving history a bit.

About 35 years ago, I helped a friend clean out the home of her elderly relative, recently deceased, on the north side of Chicago. For helping out, my friend told me to fill up a bag full of anything I wanted. The house was a treasure trove of Chicago history and collectibles, including lots of Cubs-related items. Apparently, the woman had been a life long Cubs fan (I know the affliction all too well myself), and I picked up some things from the 20's, 30's and 40's. Among the best of these were three of the five Certified's Ice Cream pins: Kiki Cuyler, Riggs Stephenson, and Rogers Hornsby. I've attached photos. (I also picked out a ticket stub from game 3 of the 1932 World Series - the 'called shot' game.)

Having collected a lot of things over the last 40 years or so, I've now decided it is time to sell what I can, and so I have started to divest. I understand these pins are pretty rare, but I can't really get a fix on their actual value. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

John

batsballsbases
02-28-2016, 01:03 PM
Hello,
The certifieds Ice cream is a nice little pin set. They are what is known as tin litho. meaning they dont have a celluloid covering over them. (like a plastic coating) about the size of a nickel. condition is a key with them as they tend to scratch alot. yours look to be in good to very good condition. They do come up on ebay and Hornsby ( I will give you a range in your condition) 150 - 275, Cuyler 125 -200 Stephenson 80- 135. these are just rough prices you might get a little more or less. The stars tend to do a little better (Hornsby, Cuyler) Dont clean them as the inking tends to come off on these. You might find a few board members intrested in them so try here first. Just to let you know I would have an intrest in the Stephenson. Hope that helps a little...

CubFan1954
02-28-2016, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the responses to my post. I did not expect anything so in depth (here and in some private messages), and greatly appreciate them.

To let you know, the Cuyler and Stephenson pins have been scooped up - thanks. I still have the Hornsby pin; if anyone is interested, let me know.

Thanks again,

John

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
03-01-2016, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the responses to my post. I did not expect anything so in depth (here and in some private messages), and greatly appreciate them.

To let you know, the Cuyler and Stephenson pins have been scooped up - thanks. I still have the Hornsby pin; if anyone is interested, let me know.

Thanks again,

John

Picked up the Hornsby! Thanks. Just waiting on it in the mail.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
03-03-2016, 07:55 AM
Just got the pin. I'm very happy. Thanks again