PDA

View Full Version : KU Wins 12th Straight Big 12 Championship

White Borders
02-27-2016, 03:29 PM
Being a University of Kansas grad, I admit I'm a little biased (ok, a lot biased). Today the Jayhawks beat Texas Tech at Phog Allen Fieldhouse to clinch at least a tie for the Big 12 Championship. They've now accomplished this for 12 straight years! Statisticians say this is equivalent to flipping a coin and have it come up "heads" 12 times in a row. Even more impressive is with how tough and balanced the Big 12 is this year and the 'Hawks have a 2 game lead with two to play.

Note: Kansas plays Monday at Texas, and today the Longhorns knocked off #3 Oklahoma.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk. KU!

KCRfan1
02-28-2016, 09:02 AM
As a Mizzou guy, I am willing to give credit where it's due.

Congratulations to KU on their continued dominance of the Big 12, and ANOTHER conference title.

Bill Self is a class act and we ( MU ) would be fortunate to have a coach like him when it comes to experience, recruiting, like ability and personality, and can reach the boosters.

However the revolving door for the basketball program at MU continues to spin.

From Snyder ( who worked on his " game " more off the court than on ), to Anderson, to Haith..ugh, to the present D-2 coach in Anderson, you have to shake your head and laugh.

But I digress....

Congratulations to KU! What a tremendous accomplishment for their program and Coach Self.

talkinbaseball
02-28-2016, 09:45 AM
I think Coach Wooden won 13 in a row, can someone check that?

thanks,
John

White Borders
02-28-2016, 11:52 AM
I think Coach Wooden won 13 in a row, can someone check that?

thanks,
John

Yes UCLA won 13 straight back in the days of Alcindor and Walton. I was a little too young then, but now I realize how awesome those teams were.

White Borders
02-28-2016, 12:01 PM
As a Mizzou guy, I am willing to give credit where it's due.

Congratulations to KU on their continued dominance of the Big 12, and ANOTHER conference title.

Bill Self is a class act and we ( MU ) would be fortunate to have a coach like him when it comes to experience, recruiting, like ability and personality, and can reach the boosters.

However the revolving door for the basketball program at MU continues to spin.

From Snyder ( who worked on his " game " more off the court than on ), to Anderson, to Haith..ugh, to the present D-2 coach in Anderson, you have to shake your head and laugh.

But I digress....

Congratulations to KU! What a tremendous accomplishment for their program and Coach Self.

I remember the days of Norm Stewart and of the football Border Wars! Always a great battle when KU had to go to that tiger lair called the Hearnes Center :) Really hated to see Mizzou go to the SEC :(

KCRfan1
02-28-2016, 02:19 PM
It's all about the dollars.

I also miss the border war, and I hope that cooler heads prevail and resume the rivalry.

I will never forget the greatest performance I saw from a Mizzou basketball player. Watched the game on TV and Anthony Peeler rained points that night against KU. I think he finished with 42 or more at Allen Field House. The best player to don a Tiger basketball uniform.

That's the difference with KU and MU basketball. Peeler is a once in a lifetime player at MU, and KU gets guys like him every other year.

HRBAKER
02-28-2016, 08:43 PM
I am not a party to the passion of the "Border Wars" having only lived in KS for about 5 years. My take is that if Mizzou decided to cast their lot with football they are much better off in the SEC. No reason at some point not to resume the series if everyone can get passed the emotion. Seems fair to trade an easy BK win for an easy FB win, no? :)

KCRfan1
02-28-2016, 11:56 PM
+1

It really is all about football in Columbia. And yes, I will take winning football everytime because that pays the bills.

HRBAKER
03-26-2016, 09:26 PM
Tough going for the Hawks tonight, overmatched.
Really surprising.

clydepepper
03-26-2016, 09:39 PM
Yes UCLA won 13 straight back in the days of Alcindor and Walton. I was a little too young then, but now I realize how awesome those teams were.

The Bruins back then were like the Russell Celtics or the Berra Yankees.

...or the current UConn women

...I hesitate including my Braves as they only finished the deal once and were actually interrupted by a players strike.